The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-02-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yes, your observation is similar to others, and to some degree mine. When I've used the OD and More OD channels (the former more than the later) I used a "compromise setting" weighted based on which channel I was going to play most often. I may be more tolerant of EQ differences in the like. I play a lot of different guitars with different pickups, and yet generally don't tweak amp settings for let's say humbuckers vs single coils and so on. I also tend to use guitar tone knobs, pickup selection, and picking techniques to vary sound -- and I've often played with a wah pedal (AKA foot controlled variable envelope filter) so I have ways to alter the EQ on the fly.*

In such an outlook as mine, the other channels are a modest plus -- but again for those reading quickly and skipping to your conclusion of deal breaker -- this amp is priced and delivers capabilities similar to amps with single channels or no pre-amp gain circuit. If you were to throw away the channel footswitch it'd be a fine amp that delivers lots of power and valid sounds at a non-boutique or vintage style price. And it works with pedals well.

Again, not knocking the Mesa style idea of separate controls for each channel. It's another way to go. To some (generalized) degree modern modelers have perhaps de-emphasized that solution as more players select a completely different "amp" and tone stack scheme via those devices than back when the classic Mesa designs or the HRDlx were designed.

*Not bragging here. Due to lack of some basic guitar operator skills and focus, I try to compensate with more timbral colors.
Yeah, I dont think I'm super picky about the tone per-se, but in relation to my clean channel theres only so much of a varyance I can seem to tollerate. Too, I find that different rooms and mixes can wreck havok with high gain overdrives, what sounds great at one gig can sound muddy or shrill at the next. A big part of the reason I started using a Boss Katana is that dual EQ's seem to be getting much harder to find on amps than they were a few decades back. I do agree with you though, that even without the OD channel the HRDv is still a great deal.

I think OD pedals have come a long way and can produce some great tones, so for many this is besides the point. On two ocasions however I had different OD pedals mess up in real loud, high gain live situations. The pedals didnt fail but gradually lost volume through the set untill you could max the level setting right out and they were still much more quiet than the clean channel. At the next practice they seemed to be fine but I never did try them live again. I've mentioned this to others, and almost nobody else has ever experienced this, but I still mostly rely on amp OD as a result.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-02-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 AM

Fender `57 custom deluxe handwired 12 watt , 12" Jensen speaker, lacquered tweed tube amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars