The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-18-2022, 06:04 PM

I love to cook. It has changed over the years. I used to be leaning towards Asian as I spent so much time there. The hotter the better. I miss my vindaloo. Alas those days are gone. My tummy can not handle spicy hot anymore. Sigh.

Southern Italy...yum yum. North African...yum yum.

I have never eaten a brisket in my life. Not that I don't want to, I just have never been around one to try. It sure has been mentioned a lot in this thread.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-18-2022, 07:48 PM

Love to cook. All kinds of food. Not much into baking or making deserts. Latest experiments have been Ecuadorian (after 2 trips there a few years back) and Mexican. Lots of vegetarian as we had vegetarians in the family to feed. Fish is a mainstay. Smoking and grilling is done regularly. Was part of a team that competed in the DC area Memphis in May contests for 3 years. Have a nice smoker and a Weber. A new little favorite has been to lightly grill romaine lettuce for Caesar salads. We do soup n salad dinner a couple of times a week and a new soup we have put in the rotation is a shoyu cabbage soup recipe from Bon Appetit. This evening we did a simple collards n kale plus with a little chorizo. Very successful crops of greens in raised beds this year.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-19-2022, 09:27 AM

I love to cook. My mom was a great cook and she taught me from when I was young. She was the dash of this and a little of that type of person who didn't work from a set recipe and she taught me to do the same. Nowadays, I do a lot of smoking meats and fish and cooking on the bbq grill. Inside, I like to do stir frys and things like simple baked chicken with veggies, or marinara sauces with sausage, etc. Just last night we had carnitas al pastor which I prepared on a large carbon steel griddle on the charcoal grill. I don't get too complicated with my meals. My wife is a great baker (too precise for me) and she whips up a fantastic holiday meal. W e taught all 4 of our boys to cook as well and they enjoy it too. I think it's an important life skill that everyone should have.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Anyone here love to cook?

My wife does; man, she's a good cook! I read to her or play songs for her on the guitar while she prepares dinner. I do have to stop when things are not going well, but that's not very often. She knows what she's doing, and we eat like royalty without spending a pile of money.

- Glenn
Old 07-23-2022, 10:24 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

On today's menu:

Chicken Tikka Masala over Basmati rice w/homemade Naan bread.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I am the grillmaster, year-round (Weber propane).

In the cold months I make a good stew and a mean chili. And I like to experiment with soups in the crock pot.

I keep it simple. If it has more than 5-6 ingredients, I lose interest.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I am the grillmaster, year-round (Weber propane).

In the cold months I make a good stew and a mean chili. And I like to experiment with soups in the crock pot.

I keep it simple. If it has more than 5-6 ingredients, I lose interest.
Yes, I am also the grillmaster at our house. It makes me feel important sometimes.

- Glenn
Old 07-23-2022, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, I am also the grillmaster at our house. It makes me feel important sometimes.

- Glenn

See, Glenn, we can actually be useful from time to time!

Old 07-24-2022, 05:17 PM

I wouldn’t call it love, but I don’t mind cooking. He who does the cooking decides what we eat, so there’s that… My mom was a great cook, as was her mom, and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen, watching them and hoping for a taste of this or that. They weren’t really “teaching” me formally, but I’d ask why they did certain things and they’d show me. I was the oldest of 7 kids, so I was expected to handle the cooking and other parental duties from time to time when the need arose. And I did. My mom is half Italian and half Portuguese, and her mom was an Italian immigrant, so my comfort foods are right from the Southern European food groups. My palate has expanded a lot over the years, but those foods are still what I prefer to cook.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Yes. We both enjoy ethnic foods, but live in a small town. While country living has many benefits, culinary diversity isnt among them!

Thanks to too many cookbooks and the internet, self-taught how to prepare cajun, Thai, Lebanese, in addition to the standard Italian and Mexican.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-25-2022, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

I love to cook - I always do Wednesday dinner, which is usually either a stir-fry of some sort, or something else with an Asian or Indian flair. I’m also the grill and smoker guy, usually a couple of times a week.

Thankfully my wife is an excellent cook, so we don’t exactly starve the rest of the time - and she always does the sides for my grill/smoker efforts.

This is sablefish, grilled on a cedar plank, from a few nights ago. Last night I did coho salmon on my pellet smoker.

IMG_2392.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-26-2022, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

David, that sablefish looks real good. I've never had it, so I looked it up. Similar to cod, which I like.

I wonder if I can find it around here? Will have to check.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Add me to the list. Cooking is something I've really gotten into since I retired.

I made this riff on drunken clams the other night. Clams, mussels and grilled shrimp served over ramen noodles. Some sake, oyster sauce, fresno peppers, ginger and garlic. The family consensus was it should become a weekly meal.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Rick, glad to see that you put the Yairi down long enough to do something productive!

Man, that looks real good.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Well Ken, a man's gotta eat. Trust me, I don't put it down for long.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic