The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I had Devils season tickets the first year they were in the Prudential Center, back in 2007-2008. I miss Brodeur.

Do you think PK Subban will be sticking around or will he get traded? His 3 seasons with the Devils haven't been that great.
I've been going to games since they came over from Colorado!

Most likely the Devils are moving on from PK and are going to let him walk since his contract is up. He is a great locker room guy, and really good for the local community, however his skating has fallen off a cliff since he has back issues. More importantly, though, is that we need the younger kids in the lineup.

Our top 6 D next year should look something like: Hamilton, Severson, Seigenthaller, Ryan Graves, Ty Smith, Simon Nemec......with a few guys in the the pipeline still pushing for a roster spot like Bahl,Okhotiuk, Walsh, and eventually Mukmahadillon(sp?).

Hope the best for PK, even though if his time in NJ didn't pan out like we all hoped!
Old 07-11-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGT View Post
Im very interested to see what Steve Yzerman can accomplish. He is a legend in Detroit , and the fans will give him many chances. Still, he needs to show progress, and approach what his playing rival, Joe Sakic, has done .
Detroit has missed the playoffs the past 6 seasons. Prior to that they made it 11 consecutive years and 25 of 26 years (I just counted). Yzerman has been there a few seasons and it's time they make progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydobbers View Post
I've been going to games since they came over from Colorado!

Most likely the Devils are moving on from PK and are going to let him walk since his contract is up. He is a great locker room guy, and really good for the local community, however his skating has fallen off a cliff since he has back issues. More importantly, though, is that we need the younger kids in the lineup.

Our top 6 D next year should look something like: Hamilton, Severson, Seigenthaller, Ryan Graves, Ty Smith, Simon Nemec......with a few guys in the the pipeline still pushing for a roster spot like Bahl,Okhotiuk, Walsh, and eventually Mukmahadillon(sp?).

Hope the best for PK, even though if his time in NJ didn't pan out like we all hoped!
I didn't realize PK was now a free agent. He's made his money now he should pick the team he most wants to be with (Cup contender) and sign for what they offer.

Cool that you've been going to Devils games since the early 80s after they relocated from Colorado (and before that Kansas City). I like those retro jerseys. My season tickets were in the nose bleeds but at $20 / ticket that was great. The CAD dollar was at par back then so it was very inexpensive (I was working on Wall St and work would fly me home on week-ends to Canada, although I spent most week-ends in NYC). Lots of action up in the bleachers, especially when the Rangers and Islanders were in town. Unfortunately, there were as many visitor fans as there were home fans.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Detroit has missed the playoffs the past 6 seasons. Prior to that they made it 11 consecutive years and 25 of 26 years (I just counted). Yzerman has been there a few seasons and it's time they make progress.

I didn't realize PK was now a free agent. He's made his money now he should pick the team he most wants to be with (Cup contender) and sign for what they offer.

Cool that you've been going to Devils games since the early 80s after they relocated from Colorado (and before that Kansas City). I like those retro jerseys. My season tickets were in the nose bleeds but at $20 / ticket that was great. The CAD dollar was at par back then so it was very inexpensive (I was working on Wall St and work would fly me home on week-ends to Canada, although I spent most week-ends in NYC). Lots of action up in the bleachers, especially when the Rangers and Islanders were in town. Unfortunately, there were as many visitor fans as there were home fans.
My dad held some season tickets as a partner at the old place, and for a few years at the Rock. Extremely good seats...lower bowl, center ice, seated right beneath the TV announcers! I've talked to Dano, Chico, and Cangi many times. Always have time for the fans, great people. Yogi Bierra and even the state governor would sit a few feet away. The recession of 2008 kinda took all that away from my dad, but I digress.

The most memorable game of my life was game 3 in the Cup finals against Detroit. I was just out of highschool. We had nosebleed seats of course. The game became a blowout in the 3rd, and my dad suggested I goto the concourse and see if anyone was leaving the lower bowl and willing to give me their stub.

The first guy I asked obliged, and I ended up seeing Federov score a goal 3 seats to the right of.....Wayne Gretzky! Devils went up 3-0 in the series, we all knew it was over. And I got to see a hall of famer score a goal next to the Great One.

God I love hockey!
Old 07-11-2022, 06:48 PM

NY Rangers backup goalie going to Colorado is one heck of a promotion!!!!! Good for him.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Georgiev was always a bit of a mystery to Ranger fans. Was never seen as a 1A and though he could get hot within a game we rarely got to see if he could sustain that level over multiple games. There were also rumors that he wasn't a favorite in the locker room. I imagine he'll get his shot to be a #1 in CO, though I'm still not sure I see a true 1 on that roster..
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-12-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
My dad held some season tickets as a partner at the old place, and for a few years at the Rock. Extremely good seats...lower bowl, center ice, seated right beneath the TV announcers! I've talked to Dano, Chico, and Cangi many times. Always have time for the fans, great people. Yogi Bierra and even the state governor would sit a few feet away. The recession of 2008 kinda took all that away from my dad, but I digress.

The most memorable game of my life was game 3 in the Cup finals against Detroit. I was just out of highschool. We had nosebleed seats of course. The game became a blowout in the 3rd, and my dad suggested I goto the concourse and see if anyone was leaving the lower bowl and willing to give me their stub.

The first guy I asked obliged, and I ended up seeing Federov score a goal 3 seats to the right of.....Wayne Gretzky! Devils went up 3-0 in the series, we all knew it was over. And I got to see a hall of famer score a goal next to the Great One.

God I love hockey!
Johnny, some great Devils stories. So cool about seeing Gretzky seating so close to you.

I remember when the Coyotes visited the Devils and Gretzky was the coach. There's one woman in the section next to me who has the loudest yell I ever heard. She used to yell "Where's Arlette" when it was a different national anthem singer, lol. Anyway, she yelled at Gretzky "Are we a Mickey Mouse team now Gretzky!". Even though we were in the bleachers it was quiet at the time and he probably heard it. I recall his initial comment in the early 80s.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:26 PM

Lots of signings past 24 hours:
  • Malkin signed for 4 years with the Pens.
  • Johnny Gaudreau is leaving the Flames for Free Agency (sounds like there's no chance he'll stick with the Flames)
  • Claude Giroux signs with the Senators
  • Jack Campbell leaves the Leafs for the Oilers
  • Kuemper signs with the Capitals

What player transaction are you following?
Old 07-13-2022, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

A lot of action today but the teams that did best were the ones that were able to hold onto their own. Gaudreau to Columbus is a bit of a head scratcher and bummer for Devils fans who were envisioning a center tandem of Gaudreau - Hughes - Hischier.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-15-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
A lot of action today but the teams that did best were the ones that were able to hold onto their own. Gaudreau to Columbus is a bit of a head scratcher and bummer for Devils fans who were envisioning a center tandem of Gaudreau - Hughes - Hischier.
That makes no sense to me either. I'm thinking the Devils/Flyers didn't want him at that price. I think Guadreau's going to be one of the most overpaid players after a year or two in on this contract.

There's one thing Gaudreau may like, fans and media won't know who he is in Ohio unlike Calgary where he would be spotted, and written about, everywhere.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

I agree, Dru. Will Columbus see the Gaudreau from last season or the player that couldn't do anything right in the playoff series against the Avs in 2019.

I would have similar reservations about overpaying for Kadri in a long term contract after his career contract year.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-15-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I agree, Dru. Will Columbus see the Gaudreau from last season or the player that couldn't do anything right in the playoff series against the Avs in 2019.

I would have similar reservations about overpaying for Kadri in a long term contract after his career contract year.
Kadri is another player that will be overpaid only to be traded later in the contract to save cap space for an underperforming player... but where another team thinks the player can fill a void in a playoff run.

Still waiting on Patrice Bergeron!
Old 07-15-2022, 01:00 PM

Devils sign Palat!
Old 07-15-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense to me either. I'm thinking the Devils/Flyers didn't want him at that price. I think Guadreau's going to be one of the most overpaid players after a year or two in on this contract.

There's one thing Gaudreau may like, fans and media won't know who he is in Ohio unlike Calgary where he would be spotted, and written about, everywhere.
Actually, w/all the hype about this signing, people will, indeed, know who Gaudreau is. The difference is the media coverage, and the fans, will be more consistently positive than our fans and media were here, in Calgary.

The pressure to win was too much. And, he wanted to be closer to home. Kudos to Gaudreau for thinking "Family First". And I'm a Flames fan.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-15-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:

God I love hockey!
Good memories. I grew up in NY - not a Devils fan, but never hated them. Loved the old green and red jerseys from the Shanahan years!

The Devils are going to be a very good team, very soon. Picking up the playoff-experienced Palat was a great signing. I was hoping Gaudreau would land there (I'm in Calgary now, a Flames fan). Alas...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-16-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC;7044270[B
]Actually, w/all the hype about this signing, people will, indeed, know who Gaudreau is. [/B] The difference is the media coverage, and the fans, will be more consistently positive than our fans and media were here, in Calgary.

The pressure to win was too much. And, he wanted to be closer to home. Kudos to Gaudreau for thinking "Family First". And I'm a Flames fan.
I guess I should have worded it that Gaudreau will be able to walk around Columbus without being noticed more easily than in Calgary. When I lived in Columbus (back during the Blue Jackets first three seasons), front page news was always the Buckeyes. This is a big signing though. I wonder if Gaudreau will be paired with Laine?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic