The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
2008 Taylor GS LTD Fall Limited

I would have believed it if someone tried to sell that one as myrtlewood!

Out of curiosity: koa is an acacia wood. Are there other acacia species (from less exotic locations) that give good tonewood? Mesquite (should at least smell good ) or Robinia would be a lot more sustainable.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:52 PM

I played a Martin 000-28K Authentic that was one sweet sounding guitar. If you can build one with that sound and sustain go for it. But if you're looking for more of an all around do everything guitar the Spruce makes more sense.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-14-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I would have believed it if someone tried to sell that one as myrtlewood!

Out of curiosity: koa is an acacia wood. Are there other acacia species (from less exotic locations) that give good tonewood? Mesquite (should at least smell good ) or Robinia would be a lot more sustainable.
Tasmanian Blackwood (Acacia Melanoxylon) comes to mind and is used by Taylor, Cole Clark, and other brands. I've had a 2016 Taylor 322ce with Mahogany Top and Tasmanian Blackwood body and it sounded wonderful!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-14-2022, 03:55 PM

Yes, blackwood sounds wonderful. I hadn't yet put it down as an acacia, but if it's really endemic to Tasmania it is hardly less exotic than koa...
Old 08-14-2022, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I have a 00-size 12 fret with Taz blackwood B&S and redwood top made by Darrin Hippner that sounds wonderful also -- VERY similar to a 00-18 Authentic that i recently sold. (When i talk about sound, it is from my perspective as a player. I don't know how it sounds out front.)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I played a Martin 000-28K Authentic that was one sweet sounding guitar. If you can build one with that sound and sustain go for it. But if you're looking for more of an all around do everything guitar the Spruce makes more sense.
Not looking for an all-around guitar. I plan to build at least 10 more. I don’t know if I can build one as good as Martin or not, but my first one is almost finished (putting on laquer today) and I am very pleased with how it is turning out.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomastedder View Post
Sounds like not many people like a Koa top
I'll add my "vote" to what I'm reading above with the clarifier that I've played several wonderful koa topped guitars, but in every case they were guitars with a number of years of play on them. New koa tops as others say seem to take quite awhile to "return your love". If I were a new luthier I'd probably want more instant gratification/feedback on my first several builds...but that's me.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomastedder View Post
I’d love to, but don’t know any.

Any reason for the 12 fret 000 suggestion? Will that mellow it down?
You might try sending them an email and introducing yourself, with a brief description of what you are working on. The worst case is you don't get a reply. You could also post something over in the Custom Shop section here as there quite a few luthiers regularly post there.

I like smaller 12 fret guitars. My limited experience with guitars with Koa tops is that they are quieter than guitars with Spruce or Cedar tops. So a 00 guitar might be too small.

If you search through past posts in this section of the forum there are some informative discussions on all Koa guitars. If I remember correctly WadeHampton and AlohaChris provided interesting comments.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-15-2022, 08:00 AM

Taylor has some all Koa wood guitars available. I would highly advise you look at them to see how an all Koa wood guitar differs from others. I honestly found them too dark for me.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
koa build