The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-20-2022, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Another mandolin on the way...Iguess I have MAS

Got my first mandolin two weeks ago. An a-style Kentucky KM252. I thought that getting a decent all solid mandolin for my first one would keep me satisfied for at least six months. Of course ever since I got it I thought someday down the road I'd like a comparable F-style to go along with it.

Then last Thursday a Loar LM590 (satin finish like all my guitars) popped up in the Mandolin cafe classifieds for a very decent price including hard case and shipping so I jumped on it. I know these aren't high end mando's but they are respectable I think.

So far I've enjoyed what little time I've had to plunk around on the Kentucky. Looking forward to this new journey.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-20-2022, 05:55 AM

Enjoy your mandolins! It's been a few years for me now but I also fell hard and fast for the mandolin shortly after I first started.

It actually led me to greater enjoyment of and proficiency on guitar as well.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I join Mandobart in welcoming you to the wonderful world of mandolin. Enjoy the journey and those bullet proof calluses the double strings are developing for you. BTW mandolessons.com is a great resource that is dependent on donations so is 'free' to access if you're interested.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. So far I've worked on the solo for Maggie May and a short Irish tune. Having fun with it which is all that matters. Mandobart I think I recognized your name on the Mandolin cafe. That's where I bought the Loar.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-20-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Enjoy your mandolins! It's been a few years for me now but I also fell hard and fast for the mandolin shortly after I first started.

It actually led me to greater enjoyment of and proficiency on guitar as well.
I agree with all of this. Enjoy!
Old 06-20-2022, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

A Loar 500 is a very respectable mandolin. Make sure you get it set up properly. It could be ok, but maybe not. Go on the M Cafe and get Rob Meldrum's free setup e book. You can compare the measurements to tell.

Now, here is the single biggest piece of advise, after get a setup, I can give you. This has been confirmed by both those that folloed it and those that didn't, and those that didn't wish they had. Exuberance is great, and I hope it stays, because mandolin is a rewarding instrument. Here's the deal. What you have and have coming is as good as you are going to get without taking the big leap. I've played up the import ladder and found that all you get is pretty, not much tonal difference. In fact I found Eastman's 315 to sound better than the glossy bound fare.

Now one intermediate possibility, and the only one I'd consider is the 900 and above Kentucky master series. Those are quite good. My point being, resist the incremental purchase. One way to prove this to yourself is find a Collings or Northfield or Gibson dealer and play some. I really don't recommend this. It will eat your soul, but I'd rather that than to see you buy more under $1K mandolins. A used A style in the $1500 range will be a revelation. If you are scroll addicted, more like $3k. I am, believe me.

Start saving now and practice rather than look on the net for pretty imports.

Later on you can buy that teens Gibson or a Flatiron flat top, but focus on getting a used Northfield F 5S first. You'll want to keep that Loar for camping, or not if you decide you can't not have your xyz with you.

It's very much like buying a good guitar, only twice the cost. There is no other way, and cheaper in the long run. One day you'll end up like me, with some good instruments but wanting to spend $10,000. Don't under any circumstances play one. Trust me. I dream of that Ellis.

But having a Gibson F9, or a Weber Gallatin, or that Northfield F 5S, or a Collings MF will rock your world and should be your next purchase goal, and someday you'll master that Bill Monroe lick and say, I'm ready, I can drive my car another five years.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-20-2022, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Brick. Hopefully I heed your advice about not making more “upgrades” until I can go for a high end brand/model. I did get Rob’s set up guide last week. That's a really nice service he provides. I bought the Kentucky from a shop that set it up nicely but the Loar might be another story.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-21-2022, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

You have a good comparison then. I beat the system by building an F style, but with wood, tools, hardware and case, I still had $1200 invested. It sounds great though. Looks like someone's first instrument though, but it's held together for over three years now.

I bought my Weber for the fern inlay as much as the tone, though I like that too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 08-15-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Got my first mandolin two weeks ago. An a-style Kentucky KM252. I thought that getting a decent all solid mandolin for my first one would keep me satisfied for at least six months. Of course ever since I got it I thought someday down the road I'd like a comparable F-style to go along with it.

Then last Thursday a Loar LM590 (satin finish like all my guitars) popped up in the Mandolin cafe classifieds for a very decent price including hard case and shipping so I jumped on it. I know these aren't high end mando's but they are respectable I think.

So far I've enjoyed what little time I've had to plunk around on the Kentucky. Looking forward to this new journey.

I can identify with this. I just bought a 252 AND now im thinking i need get an F-style to go with it.....aaargh. Ive already seen a KM630 on ebay. But i do fancy trying an Eastman to compare
Old 08-15-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Eastmans are carried by many stores, so you should go play some. I've found very little improvement in tone working up the line. You get a lot more pretty not a lot more tone. In fact I like the 305 and 315 as much. But I've gone down the sinkhole already and left them all behind.

I'm that guy who those that own $8000 mandolins look down on for having a lowly Weber. That's OK because they are looked down on by Gilchrist owners. Seven years have flown by since my first mandolin.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 08-16-2022, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Eastmans are carried by many stores, so you should go play some. I've found very little improvement in tone working up the line. You get a lot more pretty not a lot more tone. In fact I like the 305 and 315 as much. But I've gone down the sinkhole already and left them all behind.

I'm that guy who those that own $8000 mandolins look down on for having a lowly Weber. That's OK because they are looked down on by Gilchrist owners. Seven years have flown by since my first mandolin.
A store near me has a Black top Eastman 415 (mahogany b&s) on sale at the same price at a 315 which has me tempted. I figure it would be a contrast to the Kentucky..i need to go take a look
Old 08-16-2022, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

it's a great choice! Enjoy it, knowing we'll expect pictures!
Old 08-16-2022, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Buy it, then resolve to save the money for a Northfield F 5S, the next logical jump if F styles are your thing.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 08-17-2022, 08:42 AM

The Kentucky 252 turned up filthy with the worst strings i've ever seen, action too high and intonation too flat. Back she goes to the shop for a replacement

in the mean time I ordered the 415...then the shop supplying it and they noticed a chip on the headstock during setup.
Offered me £100 off, but nah not enough if you ask me, it looked awful.

They ended up offering me a MD515 for the same (discount price). Result ! Im basically getting a MD515 for the same price as a 315. To be honest thats what i wanted anyway, but didn't want to spend that much

Should be with me tomorrow...

Is buying a Mandolin always this hard ?

Last edited by Yamaholic; 08-17-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaholic View Post
The Kentucky 252 turned up filthy with the worst strings i've ever seen, action too high and intonation too flat. Back she goes to the shop for a replacement

in the mean time I ordered the 415...then the shop supplying it and they noticed a chip on the headstock during setup.
Offered me £100 off, but nah not enough if you ask me, it looked awful.

They ended up offering me a MD515 for the same (discount price). Result ! Im basically getting a MD515 for the same price as a 315. To be honest thats what i wanted anyway, but didn't want to spend that much

Should be with me tomorrow...

Is buying a Mandolin always this hard ?
Not typically.

I think you have to do the research, and play as many as you can locally, before you start shopping online, so you know what you want. Then it just comes down to buying from reputable online sellers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments