The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-09-2022, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
The shotgun start means everyone plays under the exact same conditions. Changing weather or temperature isn't a factor.
Eliminating weather and temperature as a factor in golf? Blasphemous.
And as a viewing fan, what's the fun in that?
That's why we have 4 days. To even the draw, and keep the elements in the picture. It's much more compelling that way. Maybe not for the players, but for the viewers most definitely. YMMV.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-09-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Eliminating weather and temperature as a factor in golf? Blasphemous.
And as a viewing fan, what's the fun in that?
That's why we have 4 days. To even the draw, and keep the elements in the picture. It's much more compelling that way. Maybe not for the players, but for the viewers most definitely. YMMV.
Oh I love weather in golf, I just like them all to have it.

I don't necessarily think LIV is the answer. But golf on TV has gotten so bad recently, and there are so many boring fields and tournaments, that IMO a shakeup is needed. I love the majors, WCG, but I would like some competition to the TOUR and its monopoly. I saw 200% + more actual golf today than on a typical tv broadcast by CBS or FOX and it was awesome.
Epiphone Dot
Old 06-09-2022, 07:01 PM

The way the play is formatted (shotgun starts, etc.) and how players are financially rewarded seems more like a golf exhibition of some elite, and semi elite players, rather than a traditional golf tournament, be it stroke play or match play. As far as competitive golf goes, this seems more like a circus show. Step right up... watch what these guys can do...
Old 06-11-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
The way the play is formatted (shotgun starts, etc.) and how players are financially rewarded seems more like a golf exhibition of some elite, and semi elite players, rather than a traditional golf tournament, be it stroke play or match play. As far as competitive golf goes, this seems more like a circus show. Step right up... watch what these guys can do...
That was Nick Faldo's take essentially today during the RBC. Today's round at the RBC was, by the way, fantastic.

Until someone offers me a truckload of cash to participate in a golf event, admittedly my opinion is irrelevant, but as a viewer I really have no interest in the LIV show.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
That was Nick Faldo's take essentially today during the RBC. Today's round at the RBC was, by the way, fantastic.

Until someone offers me a truckload of cash to participate in a golf event, admittedly my opinion is irrelevant, but as a viewer I really have no interest in the LIV show.
I was watching as well, and I agree. It doesn't appear that CEO Greg Norman sold a very compelling content to the sponsors i.e. 54 holes of no cut, guaranteed money to a group of arguably lesser players or those on the twilight of their careers. I mean, it's nice for them, but as a fan, who wants to watch a bunch of millionaires yucking it up in a format that is, as 12barsBill said, essentially nothing more than exhibition golf.

Speaking of CEO Norman, here is a little bit of trivia drawn from his career stats:
He’s the only player to have ever attained a Playoff Slam (of sorts), i.e. he was in a playoff at all 4 Majors, and lost all of them.
1984 US Open, 1987 Masters, 1989 British Open, and 1993 PGA.

You have to be a great golfer to have been in that position, but it must hurt deep down nevertheless. Not to mention the other Sundays at majors where he went in with the lead, at times with many shots (like 6 at the 96 Masters) and blew it. Not even getting into a playoff.

I have to believe those are pretty big scars on the guy's psyche.

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 06-12-2022, 05:30 PM

Apparently, the Masters committee has assured Dustin Johnson that his participation in LIV will not affect his Masters eligibility. What that means is that none of the four Majors will penalize players for LIV participation. What will matter, however, is how LIV participation affects each player's world ranking, since world ranking is the major criterion for Major inclusion. If the governing body that computes world ranking deems LIV tournament to be weak, then the rankings of the players who compete in LIV events will go down, and that decline will, in turn, affect their eligibility for participation in the Majors.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Apparently, the Masters committee has assured Dustin Johnson that his participation in LIV will not affect his Masters eligibility. What that means is that none of the four Majors will penalize players for LIV participation. What will matter, however, is how LIV participation affects each player's world ranking, since world ranking is the major criterion for Major inclusion. If the governing body that computes world ranking deems LIV tournament to be weak, then the rankings of the players who compete in LIV events will go down, and that decline will, in turn, affect their eligibility for participation in the Majors.
Nice. Very nice. Well played, Masters committee!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Musical minimalist

Curious how others are feeling about the 11 former PGA players suing the PGA.

For me, I've lost all respect for them. It's made it obvious that it is all about greed.

I feel like they have given the honor of the game a black eye.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Curious how others are feeling about the 11 former PGA players suing the PGA.

For me, I've lost all respect for them. It's made it obvious that it is all about greed.

I feel like they have given the honor of the game a black eye.
Couldn't agree more Todd.
They claim they joined LIV to be able to play less, and spend added time instead with their family.

But they are suing the PGA Tour, because why, they want to play more?

Please pass me the barf bag.

All the explanations and justifications lead nowhere, unless.... you plug the word "Money" into the sentence.
Then, it all makes perfect sense.

That's the only thing it's about. And that's fine, if that is what defines you. But at least, don't be a hypocrite and make stuff up. Just say: "It's only about the greenbacks for me, and nothing else."
That way, you'll at least retain some degree of credibility.

If you sign with LIV, go play there, and stay there.
These players can't be allowed to double dip and get away with it. The Tour has to put its foot down hard.
I hope they come out on top in this obnoxious lawsuit. (And I hope the next time Greg Norman is in Australia, he gets bit by a real Great White! and not some impostor )

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 08-04-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Although the players suing the PGA Tour seems ludicrous to me, it's just another indication of the litigious society which we have allowed to fester in this country, if not in the world...

A good number of points made already on this subject, but I don't think that "Golf" has been given a black eye; after all, the game has been played for nearly 1,000 years!!! I'm pretty sure that golf will be just fine, no matter the outcome...

Now, "professional" golf? Taken from the realm of meritocracy, I have no interest in pro golf... there is not one player who has joined the LIV tour who I feel merits a following on the exhibition level of the game. Not one of them is even close to what I would consider a "master" of the sport, and they've shown that their moral fiber is extremely sketchy - so, what's to follow and admire? Nothing; not a darned thing.

A curious note to add: My best friend lives in Portland, Oregon. One of the players he employs regularly is a bassist who is also an avid golfer - read: A V I D !!! - who was a member at the Pumpkin Ridge course where the first LIV event in the US was held.

When he heard about the event coming to his club, he withdrew his membership... and subsequently led 40 other members to leave the club with him... although approached by a local TV station to do an interview regarding this, he declined...

Makes me want to hire this particular bassist, should I have the need for one!!!

A very wealthy friend of mine remarked that large amounts of money can disrupt morals in a Big Hurry... you really see where people's truth lies...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-05-2022, 05:22 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

A good number of points made already on this subject, but I don't think that "Golf" has been given a black eye; after all, the game has been played for nearly 1,000 years!!! I'm pretty sure that golf will be just fine, no matter the outcome...
I should have specified "professional golf" - the PGA has done so much for the communities they play in and the sport is so much different than others in that if you don't perform, you don't earn....unlike the team sports where you sign a huge contract in hopes you will perform.

This rush for the almighty dollar just seems to dirty that a little to me.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I have not followed every twist and turn of this controversy, but am saddened by what the game of professional golf has now become.

Like the man said- you sue me, I'll sue you, swing your partner, all get screwed.

Happy now, Mr. Norman? Just sad.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Just in case anyone wants to read all 100 plus pages. https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...tour-complaint

Even if the suspension is an antitrust violation (big if), I don't know how they will prove damages--sounds like the Saudi's are paying them all a lot more money than they could make here. That's the whole reason they bolted. The end game here seems to be to force some kind of merger and/or make Norman the new boss. I'm against both options. Pick a horse and ride it.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Johnson (resigned) and Koepka (suspended) did not join the lawsuit. Something to due with sponsor/advertiser fallout?
Old 08-05-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Pick a horse and ride it.
.....Amen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic