The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Did the Tonerite work for you?
It worked - happy with the results 56 71.79%
It worked - not happy with the results 3 3.85%
I didn't notice any difference 19 24.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2022, 03:50 PM

I have one and for my 2 cents I’ll say it’s great for keeping a guitar warmed up. Now as for long term effects on tone I just can’t say at this point. Bit pricey but I have noticed a more sustained warmer tone from both my Martin and Taylor.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_9 View Post
I have one and for my 2 cents I’ll say it’s great for keeping a guitar warmed up. Now as for long term effects on tone I just can’t say at this point. Bit pricey but I have noticed a more sustained warmer tone from both my Martin and Taylor.
I got mine used for $10.

I don't know if I got my money out of it yet and I've tried it on several of my guitars.

I tried to sell it back to my local Guitar Center for the price I paid. I tried twice. And I got turned down twice. "Too nichey," I was told.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-07-2022, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I recently got a Taylor 724ce koa that was high and tight. Was impatient for it to develop bass and resonance so I got a Tonerite and changes were quite noticeable over the first few days. Left it on over a week vacation and the guitar has much better bass and resonance, so I consider it well worth it.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:40 PM

Default Tonerite

I have a number of guitars that I don’t get to play often and I’m wondering if cycling a Tonerite from one to another might help keep them in more playable condition.

Is there any thought that a Tonerite might benefit a semi-hollow or hollow body arch top guitar? How about solid body guitars?

I’m not sure if my hearing is good enough to discern a difference, but for the relatively small cost it might be worth trying.

Thanks!

Ian
Old 08-13-2022, 02:01 PM

I'm a recent ToneRite owner. I was skeptical before buying it, but I got a good enough deal that I won't lose any money if I end up flipping it.

I remain skeptical about it.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:16 PM

Recently used a ToneRite on the Martin D-28 1937 custom authentic. End result after about a week of TR was very noticeable to me in a positive way. The guitar just feels and sounds more like a well played in guitar. It’s hard to describe sound in words but when you know it you just know it.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:59 AM

I was curious but didn’t want to spend the money. I made one out of a fish tank pump, a lamp slider switch and rubber bands. Noticeable on one or two of the guitars I tried, no discernible affect on two other guitars.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 08-15-2022, 09:05 AM

Ah yes, the 'FishRite'. Check Scuzzo's thread for more results on that option.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650765
Old 08-15-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
Ah yes, the 'FishRite'. Check Scuzzo's thread for more results on that option.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650765
lol stil, its kinda a cool funny little story.. i got 3 more guitars to Fishpump.. we will see..

Scuzzo
https://soundclick.com/Scuzzo

Electric Cowbell Project
https://soundclick.com/r/bkpli

Sorry,, it's a bit hacky, and it's all electric, new to the acoustic thing.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:57 AM

Yes it works - but almost as good as if you really play the guitar .
expecting results without putting in the effort is like trying to win
the lottery without buying a ticket !

Tone rites work - but don't buy one
play your D-mn guitar !

I actually bought one ( was a waste of money )
Old 08-15-2022, 09:58 AM

I've never used this product, but I imagine it could be quite difficult forming an objective response to its results; when we want a particular result to happen, we often 'hear' that difference whether it's there or not. Or maybe it is there if we imagine it to be (cue Twilight Zone theme! )!
Old 08-15-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Long-term, playing a guitar a lot will have the same, or better, effect. But unless you can play while you’re asleep, or at work, and/or play multiple guitars at the same time (for anyone who has more than one guitar), the suggestion to “just play yer guitar” is a bit hollow.

For anyone interested in trying one, buy one used (as I and many other have done) or better yet, borrow one. For simple things like sustain, it’s actually pretty easy to determine if the ToneRite has had an effect.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post

For anyone interested in trying one, buy one used (as I and many other have done) or better yet, borrow one.
I certainly agree. As I posted before I paid $10 for mine. I went online to find out the price for the new ones .... and I was shocked! I know prices have gone up, up and away (get my old Superman reference?) but I still didn't expect to find what I found.

I will be using mine again. There is a window of opportunity where I live. In the late fall to early spring the fuel heat is on and so I have a big problem with low humidity.

I have a couple of months or so until it comes back on again so I need to start using it again. Let's see: about six days minimum for each of my seven guitars (well, maybe not the Esteban) equals a trip to an online calculator for me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-15-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
Hadn’t heard of a tone traveler before, And judging from my search results, doesn’t look like anyone else has, either…
I got one, worth a try. Jury's out. The biggest issue is that the thing is loud, and plays an audible tone/chord. I tried it for several days while my wife was out of town. Now that she's back, I'm not likely to be able use it. You can hear it all thru the house. The instructions recommend using it at night, so they know it's annoying.

The gizmo itself seems nicely engineered. Comes with an Android tablet that boots into their control program. The program's a bit slow and makes you accept terms of service every time you start it. I don't feel like it vibrates the guitar nearly as much as the Tonerite.

FWIW, I have had good results with the ToneRite.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Long-term, playing a guitar a lot will have the same, or better, effect. But unless you can play while you’re asleep, or at work, and/or play multiple guitars at the same time (for anyone who has more than one guitar), the suggestion to “just play yer guitar” is a bit hollow.

For anyone interested in trying one, buy one used (as I and many other have done) or better yet, borrow one. For simple things like sustain, it’s actually pretty easy to determine if the ToneRite has had an effect.
I was about to reply to an earlier "just play your guitar" comment and mention that it's easy enough to do both. But your comment covers what I would say, so quoting it for emphasis.

And +1 for buying one used. Let someone else pay full price... I got mine for $50-60 shipped, so I could try it for myself. That was 4+ years ago, and I still have it (even if I've been too lazy to use it lately).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion