The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-12-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
A good Strat and a Deluxe Reverb amp.

I keep noticing Fender has a bajillion models of its guitars including reissues and Squires. It’s bewildering.

Could you recommend which models are most likely to be “a good Strat?“
Old 08-12-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
If you read the whole thread you would see that I gave an example of something that you could do it with. This is the guitar I used as an example. The Filtertrons can get some nice fat tones, but they clean up a little different than conventional Gibson PAF style humbuckers.

Fat tones, clean tones, trem, here it is...

So yes I could get through the night, I just wouldn't want to.

Ah. In 2021, you said this guitar “can pretty much cover it all.” But now not so much.

What changed?
Old 08-12-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Ah. In 2021, you said this guitar “can pretty much cover it all.” But now not so much.

What changed?
In more than a few instances a player's stylistic focus will change with time - I've been through a few of those transitions myself over the last 60 years - requiring either a second guitar for a given gig or a different instrument altogether; after having been in the position of hauling as many as five different instruments (plus amplification) to get through the night, paring down to a single "Swiss Army" guitar comes as a breath of fresh air. While rockabilly reaches for a custom flametop Duo-Jet I grab my $900 MIK G5622T-CB Electromatic: my road warrior for the last 6+ years, most likely for the foreseeable future, and I'll probably score a backup while I can still get one for under $1K (yeah, they really are that good):

Does it do hard rock like my P-90 LP - no, but when necessary the bridge Super Hi-lo'Tron will goose my Bugera V22 into a nice "medium-brown" crunch and snarl...

Does it do jazz like my Godin CW II - no, but it delivers some sweet-and clear neck-pickup tones that set it apart in a sea of thud-&-mud ES-175 style jazzboxes, great for comping and single-string vocal backup...

Does it do the position #2 & 4 "Knopfler quack" like my Strat (or Yamaha SSC-500) - no, but it produces a fatter, fuller version that is indistinguishable for most audience members (and IME a real ear-opener to the fellow guitarists in the house)...

Does it "chicken-pick" like my former late-CBS '52 Tele reissue - um, yeah, with a lower-mid response that gives it a more-rounded tonality (where a Tele can get kinda thin-sounding, especially with skinny strings) that I personally prefer...

Does it do acoustic fingerstyle like my Rainsong JM1000 or (miked) Avalon mini-jumbo - no, but there's an old NYC studio players' trick that allows a three-pickup guitar to fill the same niche in a band mix, and behind our last band's vocalist's rendition of Linda Ronstadt's "Long Long Time" there wasn't a dry eye in the house...

I think you get the idea...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-12-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post

What changed?
I said the same last night, but I wouldn't want to if given the choice.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:55 AM

I have a number of highly versatile guitars ... PRS Hollowbody II Piezo or Custom 24-08, Ibanez AZ for instance ...
But ... THE MOST versatile is a Variax JTV-69 HSS strat with a Helix to match.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
This is a Carvin TL60T
Interesting to see your choice here. Mine is also a Carvin (185):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.20.39 PM copy.jpg (33.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 08-13-2022, 10:26 PM

While I think a good 335 style, tele or strat can be very versatile, I’ve really developed an interest lately in the PRS CE24. Haven’t tried one but have been researching and it seems PRS is one of the few that can make coil splits actually sound like a good single coil. The CE model seems like it can cover a lot of ground. I’d love to try one.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
While I think a good 335 style, tele or strat can be very versatile, I’ve really developed an interest lately in the PRS CE24. Haven’t tried one but have been researching and it seems PRS is one of the few that can make coil splits actually sound like a good single coil. The CE model seems like it can cover a lot of ground. I’d love to try one.
I have a 1993 all-alder (no maple cap) version that’s incredibly light and resonant unplugged. It’s pretty versatile, I’ve used it for sessions raging from ‘Cafe del Mar’-style remixes of EDM songs to thrash metal to country and funk. I’ve blocked the trem off but otherwise it’s exactly as I bought it almost 30 years ago, and despite thousands of hours of playing time, somehow has next to zero fret wear. They’re incredible guitars, PRS’.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 08-14-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
I have a 1993 all-alder (no maple cap) version that’s incredibly light and resonant unplugged. It’s pretty versatile, I’ve used it for sessions raging from ‘Cafe del Mar’-style remixes of EDM songs to thrash metal to country and funk. I’ve blocked the trem off but otherwise it’s exactly as I bought it almost 30 years ago, and despite thousands of hours of playing time, somehow has next to zero fret wear. They’re incredible guitars, PRS’.

Wow that’s a great endorsement for it. I’ve been comparing the older versions like yours and the newer versions. While different they both have things I really like.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:37 PM

ES-335 style guitar.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Wow that’s a great endorsement for it. I’ve been comparing the older versions like yours and the newer versions. While different they both have things I really like.
I love the very newest ones, they are pretty different than mine... but mine is also very different than any of the other I've come across over the years. Mine doesn't have a cap of any kind, and it's very plain looking. It also feels so light that you'd think it was chambered (it's not, I'm sure).

It's spooky because you expect it to be heavier. I had a newer custom 24 for years, but this is the one I prefer. So resonant, and does 'strat' and 'tele' sounds like crazy through my old Fender Twin, but on the bridge bucker it's got that kind of high-gain but you still hear thirds and sevenths in the chord thing going on for Paramore style 'metal'.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3

Last edited by Rick Jones; 08-15-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I love the very newest ones, they are pretty different than mine... but mine is also very different than any of the other I've come across over the years. Mine doesn't have a cap of any kind, and it's very plain looking. It also feels so light that you'd think it was chambered (it's not, I'm sure).

It's spooky because you expect it to be lighter. I had a newer custom 24 for years, but this is the one I prefer. So resonant, and does 'strat' and 'tele' sounds like crazy through my old Fender Twin, but on the bridge bucker it's got that kind of high-gain but you still hear thirds and sevenths in the chord thing going on for Paramore style 'metal'.

I have a 1994 Custom 22 that is pretty versatile, although I had to replace the Dragon pickups with a Wolfetone DrVintage/Marshallhead set to get it to where I liked it. If it had a trem, I would have posted about it in this thread. It has quite a variety of very useful tones through the 5 way. Although I have never played any metal on it (not my forte). Rock, Blues, Country, Funk it can do just fine.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:34 PM

Two Words...

Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-15-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have a 1994 Custom 22 that is pretty versatile, although I had to replace the Dragon pickups with a Wolfetone DrVintage/Marshallhead set to get it to where I liked it. If it had a trem, I would have posted about it in this thread. It has quite a variety of very useful tones through the 5 way. Although I have never played any metal on it (not my forte). Rock, Blues, Country, Funk it can do just fine.

That's a beauty! I often wish I had a fixed bridge PRS. One day I will have one! I like the idea of a hollowbody.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 08-15-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:

It's spooky because you expect it to be heavier. I had a newer custom 24 for years, but this is the one I prefer. So resonant, and does 'strat' and 'tele' sounds like crazy through my old Fender Twin, but on the bridge bucker it's got that kind of high-gain but you still hear thirds and sevenths in the chord thing going on for Paramore style 'metal'.

Wow that guitar definitely looks like a nice workhorse. That top and burst kind of remind me of those old Les Paul jr bursts which I think is really cool. Sounds like it can do a little bit of everything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars