The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 09:23 AM

Default a thought

Everybody's got their own unique reactions to stimuli - - - we see colors and hear sounds but there's no way we can easily understand the differences between what Smith sees/hears and what Jones sees/hears. And a sound that irritates Smith may be pleasurable for Jones. What grates on sbford313 may be inaudible to Smith and pleasurable to Jones.

Maybe a lateral step, a string change?

Just noticed, the comment was about a plugged-in sound. A visit with a setup tech who's skilled in the care and feeding of electronics may be warranted. The grating sound may come from interaction between the guitar(s) and the amp. Has OP tried using a different amp?
Old 02-21-2023, 08:18 AM

@vindibona1 did you get the taylor bone wave compensation saddle from MacNichol?
thanks!
Old 02-21-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcorley85 View Post
@vindibona1 did you get the taylor bone wave compensation saddle from MacNichol?
thanks!
Stats show that poster hasn't logged in for 18 months. Doubtful you're getting an answer now.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Is this still an issue on the newer Taylor's, like a 2023 model?
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 10-24-2023, 03:44 AM

I'm not really convinced from photos that this would cause harsh tones ? What I see, as long as the scale lengths for intonation are proper the string is played between the saddle bend over point & the nut. The string will vibrate freely between those points and transfer to the top and body bowl. I'd be more inclined to think that a Piezo Pickup for whatever flaws they have for sound is more the culprit. And I have seen that loose debris cause unpleasant noises among other things like string binding, but cleaned & smoothed and that disappeared. Piezo pickups really need to be dialed in & altered, but that's plugged in thing, not unplugged.

Why I think it doesn't matter ? Gibson has used a single intonated Lightning bar on their guitars for a long time that are wrapover. they also have studio quality strings that are silk wound ball ends if that were the case. My LP special I P90 has the Lightning bar, tried both the Gibson Les Paul 10's that are silk wound ball ends vs the regular ball end strings & while there was a difference, it wasn't appreciably better or worse. I liked the silk wound better because it avoided metal on metal string on chromed bridge & saddles. But the differential in price & I'm back to more affordable Gibson strings.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/artic...-pickups-r542/

Last edited by Jimbo00; 10-24-2023 at 04:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion