The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
(posted 6-11-2010) My 1962 Martin 00-21NY has a 1 7/8 nut; it's my favorite guitar, we've seen a lot since we both were young...
In 2014 I bought my granddaughter, Rayna, a "birth-year" guitar. It's a Blueridge BR-361, 1 7/8 nut and the neck feel very much like my 00-21NY. (I know this because I'm breaking it in for her for the next decade or so).
Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I didnt read all of the previous post so this could be a repeat... Taylor has an option to change the standard nut on a 300+ series to a 1 7/8 nut for $200.

Current Guitars:
1986 Petros Spruce/Rosewood Dread (for sale)
2000 Taylor XXV-DR
1997 Taylor 514c

My photography website
Old 02-03-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Very timely thread resurrection for me!

Over the past few months I've been actively focusing on my fingerstyle playing, and recently I decided to make a trade for a "dedicated fingerstyle guitar".

Despite being reticent to consider a guitar with a 1-7/8" nut width (I'd always assumed that spec would be a playability killer for me), I found an older (2007) Blueridge BR-361 locally, and its owner was interested in the guitar I was looking to trade. We were able to meet and try each others guitars out, and fortunately we were both thrilled!

I was frankly shocked by the great playability of the BR-361! It should be noted, however:
  • This particular guitar had received a wonderful pro set-up. The action at the nut was excellent (and I'd say that's a must for a wider nut)
  • The shorter 24.75" scale on the BR-361 is very helpful when it comes to playability.
  • I think Blueridge guitars have some very favorable playability specs when it comes to fretboard radius (14") and fretwire size (medium .047" / high .094" - [The higher wire is particularly beneficial I think]).
Anyways, to others reading this thread and wondering with trepidation about the 1-7/8" nut width, give it a try!

Oh, and the Blueridge BR-361 sounds great too (fingerpicked, flatpicked, AND strummed!). It is a very, very nice guitar!
I recently bought one, a BR-341 that is. Very happy with it. The only problem is now that I've become acustomed to a 1 7/8" nut, I find its lonely out here, in the vast desolate plains of wide nut land. I can only hope that more people discover its actually a beautiful oasis out here, with room for everyone.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Smile Baton Rouge ar11c/ace-w

My vote goes for the Baton rouge ar11c/ace-w.

Great guitar. Great price. Saved over £300 to comparable wide neck guitars.

Very happy with purchase

Worth a look. I am 6ft 2 with massive hands and this has changed my playing.

Regards

Last edited by seeker2servant; 03-28-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Good info here. I play nylon too and really like the wider nut. Guess I'm lucky I have big hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion