The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-12-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Yes Flea has an absolute excellent reputation. He has praised Flea on so many occasions himself.

I was in no way suggesting you should do the same. The Thought never occurred to me.

I just found this to be another valid testament to the quality of Beesneez. That he thought their capsules were worthy of such an experiment. That was what impressed me.

I am one step closer to ordering one myself. Now all I have to do is decide which one.
Ahh... I misunderstood. Beesneez has had a great reputation for a long time. Whether they make a quality microphone was never a question in my run-up to purchasing their 67. I'm very curious to put it up against my buddy's IO Audio 67 insert which he uses inside his 87ai. I played around with that mic for a couple of hours and I really loved how it sounded on my voice. It wouldn't be my first choice for most of my songs but I think it would be the better choice for some. I also think it would be great for bg vocals. I'm really looking forward to hearing how the BU67 stands up against that mic.

We'll probably shoot them out at his place. He has a bigger space and he recently treated it with a whole lot of GIK product. He also bought a Dangerfox desk that I'm eager to see.
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Old 08-12-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm the two problems I have with that video are

#1 it is a different performance (take) for each mic (obviously with 11 mics it is not possible to do a single take But non the less it introduces the element of the possibility for slight differences in each take
#2 and perhaps this is just my personal (bee in my bonnet)and one I keep commenting about ad nauseam = I prefer the unfortunately rare comparison video where the different mic takes are edited into short same phrase side by segments as opposed to finishing say an entire verse for each mic .. But that is just me , and perhaps it's just bad short term memory but, because of that ,,that I did not find that video to be all that informative..........

#1 doesn't bother me, as long as it's the same voice. I'm looking to hear the timbre of the mic & how it responds to the source. as long as the takes are similar. My problem with the single performance multiple mic setup is that only 1 mic can be in the ideal position (or sometimes none of them are)...and I'd much rather have each mic set to shine so I can hear what they're really capable of.

#2 I agree with, but I just jump between the same part on different mics (making a note of the timecode). I tend to try to find a few different things to compare: a soft section, a loud section, a section that covers a lot of range (in note/frequency spectrum). From that I can get a sense of what the mic is doing.

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
#1 doesn't bother me, as long as it's the same voice. I'm looking to hear the timbre of the mic & how it responds to the source. as long as the takes are similar. My problem with the single performance multiple mic setup is that only 1 mic can be in the ideal position (or sometimes none of them are)...and I'd much rather have each mic set to shine so I can hear what they're really capable of.
Interesting and I agree that especially with more than two mic's "the sweetspot" becomes problematic I guess my listening and retention are not refined enough to confidently distinguish between different takes

Quote:
#2 I agree with, but I just jump between the same part on different mics (making a note of the timecode). I tend to try to find a few different things to compare: a soft section, a loud section, a section that covers a lot of range (in note/frequency spectrum). From that I can get a sense of what the mic is doing.
Yes I do that also but it just strikes me that with the video editing tools readily available I just wish the editors would take time to create short comparative sections ... Or maybe I'm just yelling GET OFF my lawn

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/user/KevWind1/videos

System :
Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2022.5 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM,,2TB SSD storage,Radeon Pro 5700 XT16GB Monterey 12.4
Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Or maybe I'm just yelling GET OFF my lawn
I feel that way a lot these days [emoji1787]

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just wish the editors would take time to create short comparative sections
That's one of my peeves about a lot of shootout videos. What works best for me is to hear a short clip, then the same short clip with the other mic, then keep bouncing back and forth like that. The other thing that works for me (and this might work better), is to just make the files available so I can open them in separate windows and bounce back and forth myself. Dropbox works well for the latter because the bar graph that they use for a visual lets you fairly easily find the same place from track to track.
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD