The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-07-2022, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

That's lovely playing, and cool song selection as well.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 PM

Starting with Wes. Never a bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-08-2022, 06:32 AM

Thanks Guys ^_^ just waiting for the flatwounds to turn up then I'll do one last video playing so if anyone else is looking for Gretsches in the future hopefully itl help with the difference as I've kept the amp n guitar settings exact n in the same position.
An really curious how it sounds recorded myself. I know I'm no where near as good as the epic Jack fosset on his comparison but it's all good fun

Many thanks again

Lucy

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 08-08-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:03 AM

One last clip incase anyone decides on a Gretsch tried the flatwounds so amazing wish I'd tried them in the past amazed at how much they cut down finger noise

Was really interesting to hear how it effects the tone to, put some clips up at the end off the video with the settings how they were previous, so exactly the same settings to the previous clips on guitar n amp. N the first ones where it says tone up are where I'd dialed it in with the flats to be a bit closer to the records first being the last most dialed in clip hope you all enjoy n thanks again for helping me find such an awesome guitar.

https://youtu.be/eVXQ253P9VU
Old 08-09-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
One last clip in case anyone decides on a Gretsch: tried the flatwounds - so amazing, wish I'd tried them in the past, amazed at how much they cut down finger noise...
Another fringe benefit - one that all the '50s jazzers (and rockabilly cats) knew - is that they'll let you set your action significantly lower than with roundwounds, particularly in the heavier gauges (12's and up). Give it a try with the 11's you have on there right now: go slowly (I can't emphasize this enough), lowering just a pinch at a time until you get it to your preferred action without buzzing, and just high enough that those fingerboard-vibrato chords (which I also like BTW - seems to be a Gretsch thing) ring out and sustain cleanly...
Old 08-10-2022, 06:57 AM

Thanks Steve I actually checked her over today n got to a 4/64th action Bridge won't go any lower the relief was in spec to gretschs recommendation n there's no fret buzz apart from when I make a mistake an wow after a bit of tweaking today dropped the bass a bit lil bit more trebble on the guitars setting an a lil bit more volume on the Deluxe. I'd describe the feel of the neck like slicing through soft butter so so smooth with the flatwounds on.

On the Deluxe tone master, Shes running just under 4 on the volume, just under 6 on the Treble, just under 4 on bass, just under 5 on the verb and intensity is at 2 with a speed of 1 which is something I saw on one of Eric Johnsons amps on a video so thought I'd give it a try.
Got to this today starting to play more consistently with it now yay! I just can't get over how airy the tone is with the Gretsch really nailed what I had in my head once the flatwounds are on and with today's tweaks I'm absolutely over the moon with the tone sounds more sparkly which is that Gretsch thing I now love
https://youtu.be/W5J8ZG8GPIE
Old 08-19-2022, 10:49 AM

Just thought I'd give one more follow up after living with the Gretsch for a few weeks really loving it still and was the right choice

I've been gradually weaning myself from reverb lol on the ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb.

N I think the result records a bit better with my phone an is a bit closer to Wes on the Records.

Here's a lil clip from today on a few different tracks. Been playing with picking arm position trying to keep it off the top n playing around with where I pick seems to be a sweet spot just behind the pickup on it. Its interesting muting with my fretting hand getting a bit better at it now.

https://youtu.be/a_H2Auw23kM
Old 08-19-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

You are getting some nice tones there, Lucy! Good for you! And what a gorgeous guitar!

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2022, 11:19 AM

Thanks Glenn glad you enjoyed hopefully itl help someone else consider a Gretsch for Jazz in the future if they go hunting for info very content with it
Old 08-19-2022, 07:15 PM

Lucy - Just read your thread start to finish. What a wonderful journey. Lots of great information and great input from the experts. You made a great choice and I love the guitar you chose. I'm only 4-5 months into learning how to play, and I have a Strat. But I do love the look of the Gretsch. I can definitely see one in my future, and I'll be looking back to this thread for help in making my decision as well. So thanks in advance for laying the foundation for me!
Old 08-20-2022, 02:02 AM

Hi Rick thanks for such a great comment the Strat's are such great guitars to mines been such a bit part of me starting to play the guitar with stuff like Hank Marvin an some blues stuff.

It's pretty crazy how much ground the Gretsch can cover in some ways similar to the Strat Kirk fletcher did some ace strat videos on youtube.

From my beginner perspective in that respect its a really flexible guitar even with the flats n the treble turned up it'l still do some tasty early Fleetwood Mac bluesey stuff an then drop the verb an it still sounds airy but more direct like in the last clip what was interesting was when I tried about 6 different Gretsch's they were super consistent especially the necks.

A great feel for my hand as everyone said to me I'd certainly play as many guitars as you can I was way to shy to do it in the shops at first but now I'm used to it keep trying to get my hands on vintage archtops new experiences really inform what you fancy guitar wise n what suits you. I'd definitely try a Godin all the different guitars do there own lil thing I guess the question is which one to choose the answer is simply yes.

All of them haha !

A few I thought I'd love I couldn't get on with the necks so goes to show it's super worth trying the different ones it's actually set me on a big journey now buying Bob Bendetto's archtop book an wondering about making my first guitar.

Glad the thread has been off help I thought I'd do those videos as it might help someone so glad it did
Old 08-25-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
I was way to shy to do it in the shops at first but now I'm used to it keep trying to get my hands on vintage archtops new experiences really inform what you fancy guitar wise n what suits you.

Glad the thread has been off help I thought I'd do those videos as it might help someone so glad it did
With what little I know right now, I feel the same about going into a music store and trying anything out. So I bought myself a Fender Mustang Micro amp!
https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...311300000.html

I figure I can go into a shop, plug this thing in, and the only ears I make bleed will be my own. I absolutely love it. Best money I've spent on accessories to date. I can strum anywhere and I don't bother anyone else in the house.

This forum is beautiful. I actually heard about the Mustang Micro in here. The guys also pointed me to a great luthier to work on my Martin. So I'm very happy to have found this forum. Threads like this one are invaluable to newbies like me.

Best of luck with your new guitar! Thanks again for all the helpful comments and videos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars