The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 12-02-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Seems like a Renaissance for harp guitar

I’m new to harp guitar after playing classical for nearly 40 years. I bought a new Timberline T20HGc and I am very impressed with this solid-wood instrument at this price point. Its a joy to play! I thought the narrower nut (narrower than a classical anyway) might give me trouble but it’s no issue for me whatsoever. I highly recommend the Timberline so if you’re on the fence at all, you should pull the trigger.

I’m considering a Tonedevil with super trebles as my next harp guitar, as I’m a big John Doan fan.

Being a classical guitarist I’m more at home with standard tuning, so I’m adapting mainly Christmas arrangements I already know. To learn my way around the sub basses I’m adapting some Aguado arpeggio studies to the extended range. The added bass strings are taking me some time to get used to!

Between Timberline and Tonedevil I’m excited to see quality instruments at relatively affordable prices (considering they’re HARP GUITARS after all!), and I hope to see more and more people playing them!
Old 12-03-2021, 07:47 AM

Hi Jason!
It seems you'll fit nicely with that harp guitar (HG), considering your classical training. It is quite nice to see HGs now being not just an anomaly, but accessible for anyone interested. I myself have one of the Holloway prototypes, now Dyer Harp Guitars (that was when the "Tone Brothers" were working at the shop--Dave set my HG up before delivery); bought when the HG "renaissance" seemed to be emerging. There's nothing like that resounding piano-like resonance sitting on your lap.
Do check out Greg Miner's site on all things harp guitar (Harp Guitar Forum).
He and his site are a wealth of HG information and history.

Last edited by Naboz; 12-03-2021 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM

Hi Naboz,

Do you mean the Tonedevil Brothers? I didn’t know they were associated with Holloway/Dyer. I’m learning the harp guitar world is a small one, but full of very helpful and supportive people willing to share any advice they can!

I also have a New Dyer that I got at the same time as the Timberline. I really enjoy that guitar as well, though I think I need to get the action lowered. Gregg Miner actually set me up with sub basses for the Dyer (he’s amazing).

All the best!
Old 12-05-2021, 01:14 PM

Going "all out", Jason; buying two HGs right off!
Yes, Tony and Dave were helping out in the early Holloway building in Idaho, and I believe also absorbing all they could about the construction of the original Dyers that Scott (Burwell) deconstructed in getting structural plans to emulate.
I spoke with Scott and Dave on my prototype purchase and was pleased to be able to have Dave look over their then current stock and choose the "best sounding one" for me, then the set-up specifics for my playing style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Tags
harp guitar, john doan, timberline, tonedevil