The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-24-2022, 09:10 PM

I remain skeptical. Every video I have seen has intonation issues... Notes, especially high up on the neck are slightly out of tune. I'll need to check one out in person to confirm. In comparison, the Yamaha SLG200N and the Godin seen pretty perfectly intonated. There's is also quite a bit of piezo quack on the Cordoba. I want to liked, but it's TBD for me.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
I'm very curious to find out how it compares to the Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance models (of which I have one). As the Godin models cost more than 2x the Cordoba Stage, Cordoba doesn't need to win in that comparison, it just needs to be at least half as good (hopefully better than half) and it'll fill a great spot in the market.
I have the Multiac Duet Ambiance, and just got the Cordoba Stage. Don't have them in front of me right now... and haven't spent a great amount of time with the Cordoba, but initial impressions:

Nut widths are comparable (1.9 Godin, 1.89 Cordoba). The Cordoba feels wider for some reason. I'll need to check string spacing and get measurements.

When playing unplugged, the Cordoba has more volume, and more body than the Godin... with a much more pronounced bass and clearer trebles. As an unamplified couch guitar, I prefer the Cordoba.

I don't have exact values on hand, but the Cordoba feels like it weighs considerably less than the Godin. Not that the Godin is exceptionally heavy, but still feels more substantial than the Cordoba. I'll try to get some specific values later.

Plugged in is apples to oranges. I like the mic modeling on the Godin, and it does provide a good simulated acoustic tone, but the pickup system on the Cordoba is pretty nice as well. The Cordoba is not trying to sound like an acoustic nylon string guitar, it leans into what it is (an electric nylon string guitar). Clear, strong bass, articulated treble, smooth mids. I feel the system provides more clarity and body than the Godin's mic modeling system... but I need more time to tweak settings on the guitars and amp. I couldn't say one was better than the other... I think they both do what they are designed to do well... but they are going for slightly different things (acoustic sim vs. pure electric nylon)

Online criticisms of string squeek (when amplified) with the Cordoba are valid, but I don't find it excessive, or necessarily much worse than the Godin. Both are worse for squeek when emphasizing the piezo pickup.

Someone in this thread mentioned perceived intonation issues with the cordoba.. I haven't noted any, but I will try to give that a critical evaluation later. Nothing jumped out at me from my hour or two with it, but I was in the new-purchase giddy phase (+mildly intoxicated), and may have missed it.

I guess my initial feelings on the matter is that the Cordoba stands up very well to the Godin Duet Ambiance. Cordoba is going to be my "go to" for a couch guitar due to its light weight and better performance unplugged. The Cordoba is also a real looker, whereas the Godin is kind of plain. The Godin's neck feels a littler sleeker and faster than the Cordoba's, but I like the more substantial feel of the Cordoba's neck. Plugged in is a toss-up for me, but from what little I've played with it, the pickup system on the Cordoba is giving me something new, and different, and interesting to play with. I'm looking forward to digging into it more this weekend.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-07-2022, 06:15 PM

Purchased one last week. I really like it. The neck is comfortable and the workmanship is better than expected for the price. It sounds great through an amp after tweaking in the EQ and blend control. Acoustically it is load enough for practicing on the couch.

I hope Cordoba offers an upgraded model with an ebony fretboard and XLR out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical