The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvirago View Post
... After reading about them somewhere (probably here) I ordered an Apollo Norman Blake.....
The Apollo NB1 has been my favorite pick for the last couple of months - then I broke the dang thing Sunday. Apparently casein can be brittle.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
The Apollo NB1 has been my favorite pick for the last couple of months - then I broke the dang thing Sunday. Apparently casein can be brittle.
Nik's a good guy. I'd drop him a line and I'm sure he'd help you out. Casein is very similar to genuine tortoise shell and can be a little less durable than some of the aerospace plastics. This is usually not a problem when you get above 1.25 mm or thereabouts.

Best to You,
Scott Memmer
Old 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
NB1 also. It's slightly smaller than my BC, but I'm going to give it some time before I order an NB3. I used the little red Jazz IIIs for a while, so small isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
I don't use a BC but do use a 1.5mm pick and I've been using the same pick about 2 years and I play at home every single day. It's impossible for me to fathom wearing the point tip off in a gig or two. I always play with shoulder on electric and tip mostly on acoustic. I'd have to be stronger than the Hulk to hit the strings hard enough to wear the tip off...at least you don't need a pickup or pa if you play that hard lol
Though I use heavy picks on bass guitars (finger-picking bassists please don't hate me), I don't like the way they sound or handle on my six-stringers, electric or acoustic. Medium gauge works best for me, employing different techniques for different sounds with different songs.

Here's my typical carnage from probably one 3-4 set gig, two at the most, though I typically toss them before then (rock/blues on 11-gauge strings).

I see several references in these pick discussions regarding the process of shaping a pick edge with some sort of bevel to enhance tone or something. Not sure how long that mod might last in my frantic grasp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4690.JPG (51.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Nik's a good guy. I'd drop him a line and I'm sure he'd help you out. Casein is very similar to genuine tortoise shell and can be a little less durable than some of the aerospace plastics. This is usually not a problem when you get above 1.25 mm or thereabouts.

Best to You,
Scott Memmer
Not blaming him a bit, and wouldn't ask. Stuff happens.

It was a 1.5mm; I've got another teardrop 1.5mm Apollo on hand that's going into rotation. Playing around with some rounded corner triangle picks again first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion