The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-14-2022, 06:00 PM

Default Can you identify this Ventura model?

I found this jewel at a second-hand store. Brought it home and restrung it after giving it a once-over inspection. Here's what I know and don't know: It has a solid top. The bridge has been professionally repaired (you can see where the screw holes were plugged with mother-of-pearl. The neck is two-piece. All glued joints are perfect. There is an end pin that I suspect was added later, but the plastic does seem to match the machine heads. It has an amazing sound, sustain and projection.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9wQzVUQkpYODZR

Here's what I don't know: The b/s look to be laminated mahogany but could be rosewood. I don't care; just curious. There is no sticker on the inside, so I do not know the model. It is NOT a 1583, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, or 1600. Neither the rosette nor the headstock inlay design match any of those. It came in what appears to be the original case, labeled 'Ventura' on the inside; yellow fleece. The case is of typical construction from the 1960s. My research indicates it was almost certainly built in Japan. I am wondering if it might be some sort of prototype. (There is no evidence that there was ever glue from a model sticker inside.) The only hint inside is the number '401' stamped on an upper brace. I've search all the image/photo/Reverb/Ebay sites I could think of and cannot find another one like this one.

I have a hobby of sorts - buying second-hand discards, restoring them and then giving them away - mostly to kids. I confess, this one is not going to be given away. Thanks in advance for any clues or revelations.

Last edited by island texan; 09-07-2022 at 01:29 PM. Reason: image insertion
Old 08-15-2022, 02:03 PM

I've noticed a fair number of views with no replies. I hope that is not because the pictures cannot be viewed. I put them on Google, which I presume most members have access to.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island texan View Post
I've noticed a fair number of views with no replies. I hope that is not because the pictures cannot be viewed. I put them on Google, which I presume most members have access to.
404 error with that link
Old 08-16-2022, 08:09 AM

Can you help me use a different way to post the pictures? Obviously when I click on the link it works. Guess I need a different web service to allow others to see. Imgur seems out of business as does Tapatalk.

Last edited by island texan; 08-16-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:54 AM

Okay. I think I figured out what went wrong with the image link. Hopefully my helpful members can now take a look at what I was discussing. If not, please reply so I can try again with another approach.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:04 AM

I'm getting the same error. I just see IMG tags surrounding the same link now.

Did you set the album permissions to public?
Old 08-16-2022, 05:00 PM

Thanks. Hopefully I got it right this time.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:48 AM

More information:

After consulting some folks that know more than me, here's what I've figured out:

This is almost certainly a Japanes guitar, probably from the seventies. It is not likely a Ventura; it was just in this Ventura case. If there was ever a model or maker's sticker inside, there is no trace of it, nor adhesive that would have attached it (although there are some little drops of hide glue near the joints). I wonder if this might have been some sort of prototype from a small shop that would explain the lack of any identification.

I cannot tell about the sides, but the grain on the back is identical to the grain on the back inside. That, plus how light this instrument is, points to a solid rather than laminated b/s constructionm although I know skilled luthiers can make a laminate look solid by matcing the inside and outside layers. The opinion of others is that this is rosewood rather than mahogany, zebra, or whatever, based on the color and texture of the unfinished wood inside. The tuners are unusal in that they are not the usual 3-on-side hardware one usually sees (and these individual tuners are never found on Venturas). The lack of fancy purfing or an elaborate rosette or headstock suggests this was an intermediate grade guitar for that era. My understanding is that they were graded from C-50 through C-100. This thing looks like it would fall somewhere in the upper middle of that.

Apparently there were several hallmarks of certain luthiers regarding the number and layout of braces. I'm still researching that. As always any suggestions or insights are welcome. I think I've remedied the photo link but would appreciate any replies to clarify that.

Finally, what a joy to play. I am not a primary classical guitar player but how nice it is to feel each note vibrate through that back onto my chest from this very lightly built instrument.

Cheers

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9wQzVUQkpYODZR

Last edited by island texan; 08-28-2022 at 05:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
mystery model, vintage classical