The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Default SBT Tranducer Removal-K&K,UT, Dazzo, Trance

Saw the thread on Dazzo removal, and thought I should start another thread. I'm considering the following pickups--K&K, Ultratonic, Dazzo, and Trance. It would go in a fairly pricey instrument, and I would prefer an easy and clean removal, just in case I don't love the pickup, or perhaps sell the instrument down the road (and the buyer doesn't want the pickup). I would want to follow factory installation methods, and have the pickup professionally installed.
Many thanks!
Old 07-11-2022, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Saw the thread on Dazzo removal, and thought I should start another thread. I'm considering the following pickups--K&K, Ultratonic, Dazzo, and Trance. It would go in a fairly pricey instrument, and I would prefer an easy and clean removal, just in case I don't love the pickup, or perhaps sell the instrument down the road (and the buyer doesn't want the pickup). I would want to follow factory installation methods, and have the pickup professionally installed.
Many thanks!
If using the recommended Trance permanent tape, removal is easy as you just get your fingers working along and under the base of one side of an Amulet as you pry it away from the bridgeplate until the whole thing peels away.

The Ultra Tonic and K&K transducers mount with superglue the bonds of which can be broken using a razor blade to work under the transducers until they come away from the bridgeplate. I believe Guitarman has mentioned he has used adhesive remover first before beginning the prying process which is more likely to enable the transducers to be removed without damaging them.

The Dazzo's epoxy mounting can be softened with brake cleaner fluid and then worked away from the bridgeplate by inserting a razor blade or slightly thicker flat object under the notch located on the base of each Dazzo at its lead-wired point of the triangular Dazzo shape and prying it away from the bridgeplate.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

^^
Thank you! Any other comments or experiences on removal of a SBT (should that need to happen), including ease of removal, cleaning up the traces of the installation, etc? I've read about glue residue, superglue seeping into the wood, and so on.
It would go in a more expensive guitar, I'd like to leave as little evidence as possible if need be. Probably being over paranoid, but....
Thx
Old 07-18-2022, 08:10 PM

i just removed a set today. i used a very stiff razor blade (but very new and sharp) and taped the back edge and corners with gorilla tape so i could apply force without cutting myself.

i put my blade on the back corner of the high e and started to wiggle the blade from side to side while applying pressure. It took patience and a little force, but they came out without damage; however one didn't work which is why I was removing it. once i got the blade under say 1/3 of the transducer per my feel), the blade was stiff enough to lift and pop off the transducer.

For what its worth, that was my experience today. i didn't use any chemicals since i was afraid i would either damage the finish by accidentally getting some on the top of the soundboard, or leave a bad odor in the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification