The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-19-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
I just installed a K&K pure mini in my J45 and it works really well. Whether thru headphones, Solo Amp, Loudbox Mini or, even my old Peavy Ecoustic 112.
But where do you play? I had no problem with the K&K when I was playing at home or even the very occasional, mostly quiet coffee house type of venue. As soon as I started playing in a fairly large band with higher sound levels both on stage & in the house the K&K immediately had feedback issues. Even with lots of EQ help I still needed a soundhole cover to get rid of feedback. I could live with that but was very interested in a solution that would allow me to play without one. That's when I started to get interested in the Ultra Tonic. I first converted one guitar & had such a great experience with it that I ended up adding one of the actual OEM James May Ultra Tonics to another. I have no affiliation but have been extremely happy with the Ultra Tonic in a loud band setting.

I get that it's not the cheapest option out there & I consider myself fortunate to be able to afford them. That said, so far it's the best sounding pickup for my application. If you are not playing in a loud venue the K&K can be EQ'd successfully to get a good sound quality with little or no feedback so there'd be absolutely no reason to move up the pickup chain. The K&K worked well for me for years before I started playing a venue where I needed something else. The Ultra Tonic, for me, is that something else & I have no problem suggesting it to others with similar needs or might in the future.

Of course, YMMV, my .02, etc., etc.

Frank
Old 06-19-2022, 04:31 PM

Not playing anywhere as of covid. Given the O.P. has been playing for 50 years, I assumed he knew of more expensive (better?) options, but chose the K&K anyway. Not likely he'd pay almost twice for the add-on. I just agreed with him and solicited some feedback (no pun intended) when/if he resolves his issue.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For $179, nearly twice the cost of the pickup. Not sure that is cost-effective for those folks who buy a K&K pure mini, or a Fishman product or an L.R. Baggs product. Value segment options....
Not sure how to respond to that - if you buy a cheap tool that doesn’t do the job well, you can’t really blame the ones making the good tool for it not being cheap. Fishman and LR Baggs make a good product, but I’ve had problems with feedback and sound quality with both, and really hated having batteries inside my guitar, and I tried all kinds of external parts to deal with all that. I liked my K&K a lot, but it had many of the same problems - muddy bass and feedback mostly, so I upgraded with the UltraTonic retrofit kit, and all those problems essentially went away - didn’t need any special preamps, eqs, notch filters, soundhole covers, or anything else. Just plugged in, and the sound was 90+% there, without any feedback even at insanely high volumes (I checked, even though I don’t normally play at that level). No battery to worry about, good volume control, and still like a little eq & reverb, but most amps or mixers have all I need. I’ve never regretted buying the best tool I can to do a job, but frequently regretted trying to save money with cheap tools and being unhappy with the results. The UltraTonic is a great tool -
Old 06-19-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Not playing anywhere as of covid. Given the O.P. has been playing for 50 years, I assumed he knew of more expensive (better?) options, but chose the K&K anyway. Not likely he'd pay almost twice for the add-on. I just agreed with him and solicited some feedback (no pun intended) when/if he resolves his issue.
I have a number of different systems in different guitars. The K&K came in this guitar; I didn’t choose it. The K&K sounds good. I don’t mind piezo quack since I can deal with it.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm I have 4 instruments with a variety of K&K pu’s and have never had the feedback, I play in an acoustic (amplified) trio. The rare times that feedback occurs is usually due to our proximity to each other, vocal mics, and amps. We tend to stand in a flattened C shape with amps on the sides and slightly in front of the mics, we also have boxes with some sort EQ-HPF just in case. For us, placement makes all the difference.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-20-2022, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Have you resolved your issue?
Old 06-20-2022, 12:13 PM

Tadol, no issue with anything you said. However, while it's usual you get what you pay for, it's not always the case. Sometimes it's not about buying your way out of a problem, but understanding what the right tool is for the job. Hence, a "cost effective" solution, which is the only point I intended to make. I'm still curious to know what the O.P. does to remedy this particular issue.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Have you resolved your issue?
Resolved? No. But it can sound good and would be fine at coffee house volume levels. My duo (one guitar, looped guitar and 2 vocals) usually plays with 2 Bose L1 Compacts or an L1M2 and turned up pretty loud. But, I can't see me playing the OM41 at one of those gigs. Now a solo gig might be a different thing, but it all depends on the volume I need.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Hmmm I have 4 instruments with a variety of K&K pu’s and have never had the feedback, I play in an acoustic (amplified) trio. The rare times that feedback occurs is usually due to our proximity to each other, vocal mics, and amps. We tend to stand in a flattened C shape with amps on the sides and slightly in front of the mics, we also have boxes with some sort EQ-HPF just in case. For us, placement makes all the difference.
Exactly, the pickup is but one variable of many. And, I don't think that's "news" to anybody on this thread, however, I do think we "talk by one another" sometimes.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Resolved? No. But it can sound good and would be fine at coffee house volume levels. My duo (one guitar, looped guitar and 2 vocals) usually plays with 2 Bose L1 Compacts or an L1M2 and turned up pretty loud. But, I can't see me playing the OM41 at one of those gigs. Now a solo gig might be a different thing, but it all depends on the volume I need.
Sounds like your resolution, for the time being, is to live with it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Sounds like your resolution, for the time being, is to live with it. Thanks for the reply.
If it didn't have a long saddle, I'd probably put in a full anthem system.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:43 PM

Spent decades wrestling with this exact problem. Like many other pres, the K&K Pure Preamp has no bass rolloff which is a massive problem. The Sunn Audio Stage DI-2 Prestine has a sweepable low cut and notch alongside the bass/mid/treble controls. I will never touch a k&k equipped gtr again without this thing, period.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Late to the party here but would add that I've had good success with a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp for my K & K equipped instruments. It has much more on board that the K & K preamp with boost and tuner built in as well! I already owned it for other purposes so it might be a pricey solution to the OP concerns at this point but just my .02
Old 06-21-2022, 09:06 AM

A preamp with HPF and a notch filter might solve most feedback problems. If it don't, then a sound hole cover would be the last thing to try.

I used some EQ with a Felix2 in a Trinity System equipped Martin HD28 (with the internal mic being 50% of the signal), at extremely high level (like... really loud), with a sound hole cover, and it worked as a charm.

It's all about EQ... and when it is not, just put a sound hole cover!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification