The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Default Looking for easy-playing budget/mid-tier acoustic for an electric guitarist

Hello everyone! Been a reader/lurker for a while! Great info here, all around, learned a ton already!

TL;DR; Need recommendations for a comfortable acoustic for couch/home use for a long-time electric guitar player.
Considerations:

- Short scale, Concert body
- Comfortable, non-beefy neck, relatively low action
- More interested in finger-picking and arpegiating-type stuff (with pick or not), rather than just pure strumming
- Thinking $400 - $600 budget (plus tax is OK)
- New guitars preferred (nothing against used, just less hassle right now with my time - being a fresh new dad and all )

If interested to read more, here are the full details:
--------------

Looking for a comfortable, easy-playing acoustic guitar, something easy to transition to from electric. Been playing electric for about 20 years (not professionally, but have been in multiple gigging bands and did a bit recording). Now that I'm a father of a 1-month old baby, I'm starting to have those "I'd like to be able to play some softer music around the house" kinda feelings.

On acoustic guitars, I find that I generally enjoy finger-picking and arpegiating (even with a pick), not just purely strumming. I dig some of Clapton's acoustic stuff, but also stuff like Blackmore's Night, for example. My background is more in the prog rock and (melodic) metal (love Dream Theater, for example), but also classic rock, blues, and more.

So, while it makes sense not to spend a lot of money for a "couch" guitar, I also don't really want a super cheap, super crappy guitar either. I'm thinking something in the $400 - $600 range or so (ok, maybe plus tax). The trick is, I'd like something that is relatively easy to transition to from an electric guitar necks, possible to setup low-ish action without a ton of buzzing. I also have smal-ish hands, so I tend to gravitate towards less beefy necks in general (even on electrics).

Based on the research I've done so far, I think I would likely enjoy a short-scale concert-body acoustic.
Tried a few choices at GC:

- Taylor GS MINIEWESB - definitely easy transition due to size and comfy neck/fretboard.
- Taylor Academy 12E - relatively easy playing, not bad
- Martin 000XAE - Relatively easy to play, and (not sure yet), but I think I preferred the "Martin" tone to the Taylors above. Also, it's on sale for $499 in GC right now
- A couple of Breedlove's - felt harder to play, and sounded a bit more "artificial" even in the budget category. Maybe need to try more.

Also been reading great things about Seagull, but they didn't have one at GC, and not sure how easy it might be to find a short-scale concert-body one. Also been reading about Recording King, but haven't tried one yet.

I don't care too much about brands, maily interested in finding a good, easy playing guitar with decent tone for this category. Don't need pickups at this point, but if the right guitar happens to come with it, oh well. I'm also somewhat open to buying used, since I like the idea of getting a better guitar for the same money, but don't realy have a ton of time these days (new dad and all) for the hassles of used guitar searching/shopping.

Sorry or a long post. I appreciate if you made it all the way to here! And I appreicate whatever directions you can point me to! Cheers!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Just an FYI on the Martin, you should look at this one instead: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...#productDetail

The '1' in the naming notes a solid top vs. laminate, and that makes a huge difference in long-term tone and loudness of the guitar. (My first guitar was a DX1 Dread)

Personally, I really like the AC1R/M from Yamaha. They are great guitars and have a great pickup in them.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...tric-Guitar.gc

The only problem is I don't think the Yamaha or Martin is a Short scale.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Of your list, I would choose the 000XAE, but I would recommend the Martin Dread Jr. It's small in size, has a great neck, gives you that great Martin tone, and it's all solid wood.

In my opinion, it's the best guitar out there for it's price and a lot more.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Just an FYI on the Martin, you should look at this one instead: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...#productDetail

The '1' in the naming notes a solid top vs. laminate, and that makes a huge difference in long-term tone and loudness of the guitar. (My first guitar was a DX1 Dread)
Hmm, you know I think that might be the same Martin. There may be some mislabeling or something on the part of GC. It says "000XAE" on the tag, but it also says "Model 11CMXGC27" which when searched on GC website comes back with X1-000E. The tag on the one I tried in store said "solid top".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Of your list, I would choose the 000XAE, but I would recommend the Martin Dread Jr. It's small in size, has a great neck, gives you that great Martin tone, and it's all solid wood.
In my opinion, it's the best guitar out there for it's price and a lot more.
Thanks, I'll look into Martin Dread Jr too!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Why a short scale, if I may ask?

Also, if you are looking for a guitar that will play soft AND nice, don't limit yourself to steelies!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Based on everything I've read, short-scale is likely to feel easier to play for me, coming from electric, transition-wise, due to less tension. But I may be reading too much into that. Initial tests at GC seemed to back that up, though, but I haven't exactly tried tons of acoustics yet.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveman View Post
Based on everything I've read, short-scale is likely to feel easier to play for me, coming from electric, transition-wise, due to less tension. But I may be reading too much into that. Initial tests at GC seemed to back that up, though, but I haven't exactly tried tons of acoustics yet.
just keep trying guitars until you find something that tickles you.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
...Need recommendations for a comfortable acoustic for couch/home use for a long-time electric guitar player...
Our band's vocalist has a koa GS Mini that's a real little cannon - if you can swing the extra bucks (she called in a Coupon Day deal that netted hers in the mid-$600 bracket) they're well worth it IME...
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Have you considered the Yamaha LS6? Very nice guitar for just under $500.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It's not entirely wrong of course, and I was maybe equating short scale and 12-fret a bit too much.

I have no idea about the typical tension on an electric guitar, or how hard the transition would be, but if you are concerned about this my suggestion about a nylon string guitar (crossover, classicar or flamenco) would certainly make sense. A smaller body size might also make sense: its smaller top should be easier to drive for lower tension or shorter strings (and it might be more suited for playing on the couch too ).

Either way, get a set-up on the instrument you chose, it can make a huge difference for playability.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Our band's vocalist has a koa GS Mini that's a real little cannon - if you can swing the extra bucks (she called in a Coupon Day deal that netted hers in the mid-$600 bracket) they're well worth it IME...
Unless I can find a deal, it might push me above the budget limit, but I'd like to try it, i guess. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Have you considered the Yamaha LS6? Very nice guitar for just under $500.
No I haven't. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
...my suggestion about a nylon string guitar (crossover, classicar or flamenco...
My experience with nylon string acoustics is that they are generally wide necks, which makes it harder for me to play. However, haven't looked into crossovers.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Default E10 00ss/v

This is an Eastman I had that I had difficulty playing due to a narrower nut and thinner neck. I always thought it would be a great acoustic for an electric player. If you have need to head to LA, check them out with Ted at LA Guitar Sales. He has fairly short hours, so you would probably want to call ahead. Good luck in your search.

PS - Just noticed your budget. Never mind. Those models are around $1k

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 06-12-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Look at the fender paramount travel. American music supply and zzounds are blowing them out for $300.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, definitely will look into as much as I can!

Btw, may be a silly question, but do any of the mentioned guitars fall into the category of needing to be specially taken care of, in terms of humidity and whatnot? Don't get me wrong, I take good care of my equipment as is, and I don't intend to throw this guitar around like a bag of sand, but I know that a fine, expensive, all solid wood guitar needs more tender care than a laminate/composite material one. I guess I'm envisioning being able to simply hang this guitar on a wall in my house without worrying too much about heat/cold/humidity, and without having to keep it in a case whenever not played. Does that makes sense?

For example, how much care do these $400-$600/$700 solid-top Martins and Taylors need?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar care

I would assume regardless of the side material, any solid top guitar will need proper care and humidification. Might want to try a few used carbon fiber guitars - Rainsong, Composite Acoustics, etc. They are a lot more forgiving and impervious to temp and humidity changes. One benefit of living in San Diego is the relative consistency of the weather. You won't have to deal with desert dryness or low winter humidity experienced in other areas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion