The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Answered my own question I guess, having the duet firewire. I will paste in from the apogee website- are there any workarounds? thanks

Duet 2, the original ONE , Duet FireWire, Symphony I/O and Ensemble are Mac only products and are not supported with iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. They simply were not designed with the hardware needed to properly work with these iOS devices. At the time they were developed, the technology required was not available.

Duet for iPad & Mac, ONE for iPad & Mac and Quartet for iPad & Mac were designed specifically for iOS and Mac connectivity.

This required extensive circuit redesign and development to met these criteria:

iOS device charging – These products charge iPad (or iOS device) when in use
Direct digital connection meeting Apple’s MFi standards
Native software control with Apogee Maestro for iOS
Apogee sound quality without compromise – (This required adequate power)
These features make Duet for iPad & Mac, ONE for iPad & Mac and Quartet for iPad & Mac truly professional devices designed for iOS recording.

Other audio interfaces without this technology (including Apogee products) can be adapted to connect via Camera kit to iOS devices but they do not offer the same professional performance and features customers should expect from a pro interface. Examples of these professional features include the ability to charge the iPad, software control of the hardware, and Apple’s MFi certification.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:10 PM

Default My set up for recording vocals and acoustic guitar onto video

This is a video I did of me doing Tomorrow Never Knows on youtube. In the video background info I detail how I recorded my vocals and guitar via the line out from my Roland acoustic amp, into a Nikon camera with a video function and mic input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsdWbcv78yY

I hope this is helpful.

But I am still on the lookout for how to make my audio better quality, as the result is not as good as the hi fi sound I get when I monitor my playing live via my in ear headphones. I can only think that the frequency response of the camera is not sufficient to record the sound I am hearing.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 PM

I have a Mac and a USB mic haha. It's actually not bad at all.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:35 PM

As I'm starting to learn how to home record I've been researching some of the previous threads and found this one which I really liked and found helpful.
I thought it might be helpful to others on the same journey and for the original posters to update their choices since the last time they posted.
ATM I'm trying to decide which closed headphones to buy and so far have narrowed it down to Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica or AKG...
Anyone else agree that this is worth a fresh look?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpick View Post
As I'm starting to learn how to home record I've been researching some of the previous threads and found this one which I really liked and found helpful.
I thought it might be helpful to others on the same journey and for the original posters to update their choices since the last time they posted.
ATM I'm trying to decide which closed headphones to buy and so far have narrowed it down to Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica or AKG...
Anyone else agree that this is worth a fresh look?
Hello Redpick, Your comment about the closed headphones caught my eye. I recently acquired Shure SRH 840 (closed back) headphones for tracking and they're superb for the price. The clarity is really impressive.

My recording set-up is basic. I have a a couple of matched pairs of SDC mikes (AKG 451s and Gefell m300s), a Miktek CV4 LDC and a Sennheiser MKH 800 P48 (SDC that thinks it's an LDC) an Apogee Quartet interface and a MacBook running Logic Pro X. I'd like to add a good tube preamp to the mix; A Designs MP 2A is at the top of my radar.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Check out the Pendulum MDP-1a Tube Preamp

Aloha Trevor,

Nice signal chain for acoustic guitar, Trev.

Although we don't really need such high-end mic preamps to make decent acoustic recordings, that A-Designs MP-2A tube preamp is an excellent mic pre that would enhance your recordings using the mic's you described. But after carefully comparing it with the Pendulum MDP-1a & using it for years with top-line SDC's & LDC's, I truly love the Pendulum which is not very colored at all. I've owned two of them. It's been my all-time favorite mic preamp of any type to date.

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/MDP-1.html

I also love the A-Designs Pacific solid state mic pre. Still own that preamp even though I don't use it that much these days. Great on guitar tracks - especially strumming tracks w/ an MA-200 or U87.

You really can't go wrong with either of those tube mic preamps. But there is just something about the MDP-1a that I've never been able to find anywhere else. So good it gnaws at my vitals.

The MDP-1a has made the the following excellent studio mic's shine on my vocal & acoustic guitar recordings: Schoeps CMC6 series with half a dozen different capsules, Microtech-Gefell M294's, a pair of early 70's Neumann U-87's, two different U 47-48's, an M-G UM-900 (my favorite vocal mic), AKG 460's, Peluso P28's, Mojave MA-200's, & several others over the years - most of which I have sold. They all sparkle through the Pendulum MDP-1a. Greg makes incredible tools for creating recorded or live music.

Check it out Trevor.

A Hui Hou!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-16-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM

Thanks, alohachris. I'll add the Pendulum MDP-1a to my research. Looks like a trip to Studio Economik in Montreal is in order. On a side note, I recently moved my Gefells back from 18" to 22" inches (one pointing at the bridge of my Kohno classical, the other at the 12th fret, 2' apart from each other). I'm amazed by how little "gain" was lost and how much "tone" was gained.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:26 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Aloha,

Given how good (and highly rated) the preamps and A/D converters are inside the Quartet, I'm wondering just how much 'better' you could get with a dedicated tube pre. I realize that better is dependent upon the listener and that a balance is also struck between the quality of mics and the room treatment. It's something I think about from time to time and I'm actively looking at a dedicated bass pre/DI at the moment (and I have a dedicated acoustic pre/DI) primarily for easier EQ on input more than anything else.

So, for instance, in my case, the 'nicest' mics I have are an AKG C214 (LDC) and an AT4041 (SDC) and they both go directly into the Quartet in a reasonably decently treated room. So, given that they are not low end, nor high end, mics, how much different might it be to run those through, let's say an Avalon M5? Or an A-Design box... or even something like an Avalon 2022?

I'm genuinely curious as to the cost/equip gains and benefits.

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Aloha,

Given how good (and highly rated) the preamps and A/D converters are inside the Quartet, I'm wondering just how much 'better' you could get with a dedicated tube pre. I realize that better is dependent upon the listener and that a balance is also struck between the quality of mics and the room treatment. It's something I think about from time to time and I'm actively looking at a dedicated bass pre/DI at the moment (and I have a dedicated acoustic pre/DI) primarily for easier EQ on input more than anything else.

So, for instance, in my case, the 'nicest' mics I have are an AKG C214 (LDC) and an AT4041 (SDC) and they both go directly into the Quartet in a reasonably decently treated room. So, given that they are not low end, nor high end, mics, how much different might it be to run those through, let's say an Avalon M5? Or an A-Design box... or even something like an Avalon 2022?

I'm genuinely curious as to the cost/equip gains and benefits.

Cheers.
Hello Martin,
Not to usurp alohachris' response to your question but I feel compelled to say that I do not think the Quartet's onboard preamps are anything less than stellar. I'm not looking at mic preamps because I think they will sound "better" but rather, "different" and therefore provide me with more colours to choose from when I record myself or others.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hello Martin,
Not to usurp alohachris' response to your question but I feel compelled to say that I do not think the Quartet's onboard preamps are anything less than stellar. I'm not looking at mic preamps because I think they will sound "better" but rather, "different" and therefore provide me with more colours to choose from when I record myself or others.
Hey Trevor, I wasn't girding my loins to fight for the honour of Apogee... i just wondered

It's a fascinating subject and, as I said, I'm hunting for different tonality too, but more to do with my bass and DI'ed recording more than anything (haven't gotten that far with mics yet).
Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Hey Trevor, I wasn't girding my loins to fight for the honour of Apogee... i just wondered

It's a fascinating subject and, as I said, I'm hunting for different tonality too, but more to do with my bass and DI'ed recording more than anything (haven't gotten that far with mics yet).
I agree. It's a fascinating subject and yet another reason to wish for a big lottery win (LOL). That said, I had a bass player in my little studio a few days ago recording on an old Fender Precision running straight into the Quartet's line in. While the playing was a little rough the tone of the bass through the Quartet sounded terrific to me. Here's wishing you good fortune on your quest for "different" tones. I'm having a blast with this stuff so I guess the old saying about the journey being more important than the destination rings true again.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Yup, my Jazz sounds terrific straight from DI to Quartet... but it's not always the sound I want... so... I thought I'd give a couple of bass pre/DI's a run before matching my bass collection to my 6 string collection
Old 03-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Mic Preamps on Apogees ARE Stellar

Aloha Martin,

The mic preamps on Apogee interfaces ARE absolutely stellar sounding - & affordable too. I use my Apogee Ensemble & Duet 1 most of the time on my home recordings & love their contribution to my signal chain & recordings when combined w/ excellent mic's.

The only reason that I suggested that Trevor look at The Pendulum tube preamp is that it sounded as if the level of his recording signal chain was moving upward. Since the best results I've found in recording so far are achieved when using signal chains where all the parts are of the same quality, I thought I'd make that particular suggestion.

One thing I do know is that it is more difficult to achieve consistent results if some parts of your signal chain are entry or mid level (like monitors), while others (like mic's) are of higher quality. The differences among preamps alone to be sure are subtle.

Although I do not have any recordings to share here to demonstrate it (online recordings rarely demonstrate ANY clearly audible differences among gear), I've found that you can more easily experience the sonic color variations & those subtle differences as you move up the trough in terms of mic/preamp combo's. This is more obvious on vocals than on acoustic guitar pieces, & I sing. Adding in knowledge about mic placement, lotsa experimentation, & of course, recording in a perfectly treated space that allows for such experimentation & acoustic recording helps our recording processes take on fuller, more rewarding dimensions, IME anyway.

You don't hear that much difference at all from changes in mic preamp choice aione. But you sure can hear those differences in textures, smoothness & color when you play well, on the right instrument, on the right voice & combine better mic's with better mic preamps such as the A designs MP-2A that Trevor is investigating & the Pendulum MDP-1 I recommended. At least, that's been my experience. It's the reason why pro studio's invest in mic lockers & banks of different mic preamps - more complete color pallet. But it's ultimately about the quality of the whole signal chain & our performances while tracking.

My response was to Trevor's interest in high-quality tube mic preamps. I didn't think he'd get many responses here on this old thread so I mentioned the Pendulum MDP-1a - which I love.

In terms of value, each of us must determine for ourselves whether the cost of gear upgrades leads to better recording results. I've been experimenting with & auditioning gear for many decades, but only with top level gear for the last 12 years. As I moved up the gear trough, I began to enjoy recording much more. At least I'm not blaming the gear anymore when my takes are not very good - Ha! That's all's I know.

Again, mic preamp differences are very subtle, until you combine them with some great mic's. The only way to know the difference is to audition gear for yourself, before you buy.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Martin,

The only reason that I suggested that Trevor look at The Pendulum tube preamp is that it sounded as if the level of his recording signal chain was moving upward. Since the best results I've found in recording so far are achieved when using signal chains where all the parts are of the same quality, I thought I'd make that particular suggestion.

alohachris
Hey alohachris, Certainly the game plan is to raise the level of my recording chain and, as you and others here have pointed out, I'm off to a pretty good start gear-wise. Studio Economik in Montreal carries the preamp brands and models I was looking at before your recommendation and it turns out they also stock Pendulum products, including the MDP-1a. Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Smile

I've gone through a lot of gear (well, for me anyway) over the past five years.

I have two mics that I use that are perfectly fine for what I do. An AKG414-BULS and a Neumann KM184. If I am singing, I use the AKG for vocals. If I am doing solo guitar I use both mics and do a simulated M/S trick I learned (I think) from one of Doug Young's posts here.

I have two channels of John Hardy M-1 preamps. I just sold a Motu 8-channel interface. I'm likely selling my Hardy preamps. I plan to buy a new Apogee Duet. The Duet into Garageband or some other inexpensive or free DAW will likely be my signal chain. I've owned a Duet 2. It was a fabulous little device. The Hardy pres are wonderful, but the upgrade over the Duet pres is hardly noticable to anyone except under a microscope, and they aren't nearly a portable. In fact, most people really can't hear a difference.

The best home recording I ever made was using my two mics into Really Nice Preamps into a Yamaha AW4416. I remember just setting up the two mics and going for it. I think the performance was the key — not my mastery of recording techniques or gear — and I'm just more interested in that than upgrading to boutique quality gear anymore.

I was in a studio yesterday working with a drummer. The drum tones were incredible. The engineer was running an Allen & Heath mixing console into 1/2" tape — nothing fancy. Really sweet sounds.

In a pro studio, I understand why a truly pro engineer would want to keep upgrading to squeeze out that last 1% of improvement. That's their job. And if you enjoy spending time with gear and software doing the same at home, cool. I'm amazed at the results I hear from some of the recordings folks do at home. The funny thing is that just as often I'm amazed at results folks get with supposedly inferior gear.

If I NEED a pro recording at this point in my musical life, I'm going to a pro recording engineer. I just found that the time and energy I was spending on the gear and recording techniques was time I should have been spending practicing guitar and writing songs. YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD