The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Default Anyone tried GarageBand on an iPad?

Greetings!

GarageBand was just released last week for the iPad. I am curious if anyone on this forum has had much experience with it yet?

In particular, I would be curious how GB sound files are transfered from the iPad over to other computers, burning CDs, etc?

Secondly, what are folks using for a microphone with the iPad?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Paul
Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

I've worked with Garage Band a little bit on my iPad 1 but it's kind of slow. The iPad2 is supposed to be a lot better for this app. You can export your songs in two ways - email or via iTunes. Email is a compressed AAC file only but iTunes will export a Garageband (uncompressed?) version for editing on your Mac.

I've been using StudioMiniXL and I really like it for a basic 8-track recorder. Sharing files is easier as the app allows you to download full uncompressed files of the individual tracks over Wi-Fi - very simple - you download the files from a web browser. You can also do a mixdown in StudioMiniXL, but I'd rather do this kind of thing outboard.

Getting Audio onto the iPad is done either with the built-in mic, or with a device attached with a special cable like the iRig. There's some more solutions coming soon, such as the Apogee Mike and Apogee Jam. These are probably better solutions as they use USB instead of going through Apple's audio input and DAC.
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mike.php
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/

The iPad is great for scratchpad recording like the stuff you might do on 4-track cassette recorders from earlier years. You're not going to do much serious recording on it today, but you might do some serious writing and experimentation. For this purpose, it's a wonderful tool.

JR
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM

JR,

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I also very much appreciate the web-links.

I am hoping that Apogee releases that "Mike" very soon, as the limiting ingredient (as I see it) to using the iPad as a field recorder or scratch recorder is the tiny pin-hole microphone, and I have not found a suitable replacement yet available. (Some folks have gotten some success using a camera adpater kit and a UBS mic, but there now seem to be some serious software compatibility issues with that "not-recommended" work-around). The "Mike" -- actually designed to work with GB on an iPad -- would be perfect.

I just got GB installed on my iPad (first-generation) a day or two ago. I still need to get a bit more familiar with it, then I may hit you up for another question or two....

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 AM

My iPad2 just arrived about 30 minutes ago! As soon as I can get Apple to quit telling me that my security code is invalid at the App Store, I'll let you know!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I am hoping that Apogee releases that "Mike" very soon, as the limiting ingredient (as I see it) to using the iPad as a field recorder or scratch recorder is the tiny pin-hole microphone, and I have not found a suitable replacement yet available.
Exactly. There needs to be some kind of good outboard hardware that can interface with the iPad and provide a clean signal. The USB camera connection kit was mentioned in the StudioMiniXL handbook as an unsupported workaround. I'm hoping we get some 'officially supported' solutions soon.

Scott, Congrats on the new iPad2! How do you like it so far? I ordered one early on the release date and it's not scheduled to arrive for about 4 more weeks.

JR
Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
The USB camera connection kit was mentioned in the StudioMiniXL handbook as an unsupported workaround. I'm hoping we get some 'officially supported' solutions soon.
I am anxiously awaiting those supported solution as well! I, for one, am a bit surprised that the iPad has been out for as long as it has now without an appropriate microphone for this very purpose. I also have the StudioMini_XL ap (very nice, but I am more familiar with GB). From what I have read, people who performed the unsupported work-around found that their USB microphones did not work with some of the software updates (probably explains why Apple did not support the idea).

I suppose that a "right-now" solution might be to use an Apogee "Jam," then use a XLR-to-1/4" adapter with a battery-powered mic, but I think I am going to give the "Mike" a couple of weeks to get on to the market.

Fingers crossed.....

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM

In case JR (or anyone else) is still monitoring this thread.....

Sat down with the new Garageband (GB) for iPad for quite some time last night. Let me also say that I also have the StudioMini_XL and Tascam Portastudio aps on that same iPad.

I was disappointed in the GB for iPad ap. I LOVE GB on my MacBook -- and I will point out that I have an older version -- but the iPad version of GB was just not doing it for me at all. The program seemed very non-intuitive, very non-Apple-like. Selecting the "My Songs" button -- which I would assume would bring to me a directory of *duh* my songs, instead initiated a "Saving song" sequence (even if I hadn't recorded anything). Very weird. Recording into the on-board microphone (which seems to work pretty decent considering its diminuitive size) brought up a screen with a single level meter.....okay, but where is the multi-track status screen of the "computer-level" GB program? It seems I can only get into THAT screen after some period of time has elapsed while recording into the level-meter screen -- very confusing. The default settings of the ap (which I was unsuccessful in changing) were to record then playback a 8-second loop, with a metronome clicking away the entire time (the metronome *click* would then be picked up by the microphone).

In my opinion, this ap is really optimized for people who may not be "musicians" in the more traditional sense of the word, but who instead want to set up beats and simple rythyms using virtual instruments, and essentially create mixes. The (default) looping seems to point folks in that direction, and the click of the metronome (which can be turned off) is probably preferred by folks playing virtual instruments, since the microphone is not used. I am not meaning to denigrate such activities; I just wanted something different. As for my old, original version of GB, it really works well for me to actually RECORD music into a microphone -- be it a solo track or multiple tracks -- for several minutes at a time, and simply save the file when done. I love that old version of GB. I don't feel like this new iPad ap is really the same program. Just my thoughts.

As for the other two program, I am thus far having the best success with StudioMini_XL; it seems very intuitive to me and I ma having the easiest time using it thus far.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Well, I just pulled up a user's review from macworld.com and I think that this answers some of my own questions. I think this [iPad ap] is more of a tool for non-musicians:

"Wonderful as the Mac-based GarageBand is, however, far too many people ignore it completely, or open it once to see what all the fuss is about and never do so again. They do this because [the computer-based] GarageBand is perceived as a musician’s tool.

With GarageBand for iPad, Apple is sending a different message: Yes, GarageBand is a tool for making music, but anyone—from musicians to tin-eared newbies—can use it. No talent required. It underscores this message by eschewing the podcast, ringtone, and movie-soundtrack elements and focusing entirely on making it easy to compose music. It includes a variety of “smart” instruments that allow you to play pleasing notes, chords, and beats on virtual keyboards, guitars, basses, and drums without requiring that you have a lick of musical training."
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Scott, Congrats on the new iPad2! How do you like it so far? I ordered one early on the release date and it's not scheduled to arrive for about 4 more weeks.
Thanks! Mine was supposed to ship in "7-14 business days" but arrived 3 days later. Maybe you'll get lucky too!

Right now, it's fun - it's a cool gadget that I think will get lots of use. The only thing is that my wife and I are terrified of dropping it! It has that very slick metal back that just makes you nervous. We're on the lookout for a case now. I bought one of the smart covers but that's just not going to do it. I want a total cover/case as I 100% know it's just going to slip/fall out of my hands.

Also, I checked out Garageband last night for about 10 minutes. I'm a PC guy and I've never used GB on a mac so I have no analogue there. I thought it was cool - definitely did not feel powerful to me. I never got the impression that it would be useful to me as anything more than "Hey, check this out!" My 7yo son digs it and thought it was fun. He'll probably get more use out of it than I will.

But... that's my "first 10 minutes", right? I don't have the XLR adapter but that's next on the list!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Just read this and thought you guys might enjoy:

http://rob.by/2011/garageband-has-found-its-interface/
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM

I bought the app last night and it seems to be pretty nice. Here is a little snippet of a song that I recorded using the ipad mic, it took about 20 minutes to make. I think I am going to have alot of fun with this app!

http://ia600403.us.archive.org/8/ite...ewisAudrey.m4a

Last edited by LewisBrookshire; 03-18-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:39 PM

I got it yesterday and have just played around a little. I got one of the Peavey AmpKit things today. I couldn't get any dynamic mikes to go direct in but my pickup equipped acoustics sound pretty good. I need to play around with some of the preamps I have to see if it is easy to get a mic signal boosted enough to go into the AmpKit. IRig has a mic but I don't have high hopes for a $60 mic/interface combo.

Ed
Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
I bought the app last night and it seems to be pretty nice. Here is a little snippet of a song that I recorded using the ipad mic, it took about 20 minutes to make. I think I am going to have alot of fun with this app!

http://ia600403.us.archive.org/8/ite...ewisAudrey.m4a
Wow. You really got that program to work pretty well. I'm impressed, as I had a difficult time simply not having the thing do repetitive 8-second loops everytimee I adjusted a setting. Maybe I'll take anothe crack at using that app.

Thanks for sharing that.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 AM

You can click the little puzzle piece on the top left hand side to adjust the length of bars or click "Automatic" to record as long as you need to. Its a fun little tool. Here are a couple of more I have recorded today while messing around. Please excuse the vocals and guitar sounds as these were recorded with the Ipad built-in microphone.

http://ia600405.us.archive.org/34/it...eDitty.m4a.m4a

http://ia600405.us.archive.org/15/it...uFount.m4a.m4a

http://ia600403.us.archive.org/12/it...ndWine.m4a.m4a

http://ia600405.us.archive.org/5/ite...Love.m4a-2.m4a

http://ia600403.us.archive.org/7/ite...wisaudrey1.m4a

Last edited by LewisBrookshire; 03-19-2011 at 11:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD