The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Buy two mic stands or an adapter?

Hello!

I'm going to buy some gear to record with, nothing amazing, but okay stuff for me. I was thinking of buying the Rode NT-5 matched pair microphones which obviously consists of two mics.

What I now wonder is if it's best to buy two stands for the mics or one stand and an adapter of some sort to use two mics with one stand? I'm only going to record one acoustic guitar at the same time and nothing else.

It would also be much appreciated if you guys had any opinions on another choice of mics, stands or anything, I don't really know if they are good but they seem okay (the Rodes).

This is what I was planning to buy:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/rode_nt_5.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_27105.htm (two/one of these, or are there better stands for the same money? They will be used at home only.)

And maybe something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_2351.htm

So what do you people at AGF think? I'm thankful for any replies.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

One stand with a two mic adapter will only allow for XY and ORTF mic placements. With two stands you can do those as well as additional placements.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM

I only record my guitar as well, but I have two stands. Of course, I don't have a matched pair of mics either. But....

I like to place one mic at the neck/body joint (14th fret) and another just behind the bridge, both pointed towards the soundhole.

The the adapter, you can point the two mics at the positions I mentioned, but they would be pointing away from the soundhole. Not that that is vitally important. My point is, I'm coming at my guitar from the outside in, as it were, whereas the adapter will only allow you to go from the inside out. With two stands, I could mimic the adapter if I wanted to.

I have all the flexibility with two stands.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Two stands definitely seem like a more flexible option, so I will probably go for that.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM

depending upon the sturdiness of the mic stand and the weight of the mics, you may have a problem. seems the two stands are the best way to go and that is the way i set it up. gives much more versatility.
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD