The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 AM

I always enjoyed listening to Car Talk back when it was on NPR.

Tom and Ray Magliozzi, aka: Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, always recommended coffee grounds to remove odors. Whenever I buy a used guitar and/or case, I always toss one of those single-serving bags of coffee into the case and the soundhole of the guitar. I leave them in for a good while and they absorb the odors very well. The coffee smell then dissipates quite quickly once removed from the guitar and the case. I generally drink a cup or two of coffee while doing all of this.

Martin 000-13e 2020
Taylor 322e 2019
Yamaha FS700 2014
Yamaha FG770S 1972
Barclay "Harmony" 1203 1972
Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 AM

I am not a big fan of the Martin vanilla chemical smell with their new cases.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

After semi-surviving GAS for the last 15 years... There are some questions I have to ask. One of them is:

"Any funky smells, or stains in the case or on the guitar?"

Hope you rejuvenate it to a fine Martin.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Gads. I'm wondering whether the seller sprayed it with cologne to mask an other oder, such as smoke. If that's the case, polishing the guitar might be sufficient.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Among other issues, my J45 came to me feeling of cigarettes and sweat. I like the way tobacco smells, including cigarettes. But this was overpowering and stale.

A good polishing took off a lot of the smell because it was actually caked on the exterior of the guitar. In the course of a month between being out in the living room and in the case with humidity packs, the internal smell subsided too
Old 08-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
After semi-surviving GAS for the last 15 years... There are some questions I have to ask. One of them is:

"Any funky smells, or stains in the case or on the guitar?"
I always ask the same thing. I will never understand cologne and perfume.

Rob
Old 08-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsatori View Post
I am not a big fan of the Martin vanilla chemical smell with their new cases.
WHAT?????? I LOVE the smell of my D-41 when I open the case!! I hope it lasts forever even though I know it won't!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Several of you suggested ozone generators, but aren't there some issues with their use???

Since the early 20th century, health professionals have warned about the dangers of ozone. Just as it reacts with substances outside of the body, it can react with the living tissue within your body. This means that ozone can cause a variety of health problems, like coughing and airway inflammation. It can also reduce lung function and harm lung tissue. Certain groups like children, people with asthma, and older adults are especially vulnerable.

You may have heard of the Clean Air Act. Under this federal law, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sets standards for outdoor air quality to protect public health. There are six air pollutants that the agency has set standards for, and ozone is one of them. If ozone is dangerous enough for the EPA to monitor outdoor levels, then it is all the more dangerous for ozone generators to release pure ozone into your home.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-29-2019, 03:48 PM

"Several of you suggested ozone generators, but aren't there some issues with their use???"

Yes, there are issues. If the concentration is high you shouldn't breathe it. It might damage your respiratory system. I have an ozone generator I use for deodorizing various stinky things. Typically, I put the object in a small room, turn on the ozone generator, and leave closing the door behind me. When the treatment is done I take a deep breath, run into the room, open a window and run out. My generator user manual has information about safe levels and I presume others do as well.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM

I once bought a used Gibson Lg-0 that strongly smell incense ! After many weeks, it would smell much less but the odor would grow as I was playing. It finally washed out after some six months.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorcc View Post
"Several of you suggested ozone generators, but aren't there some issues with their use???"

Yes, there are issues. If the concentration is high you shouldn't breathe it. It might damage your respiratory system. I have an ozone generator I use for deodorizing various stinky things. Typically, I put the object in a small room, turn on the ozone generator, and leave closing the door behind me. When the treatment is done I take a deep breath, run into the room, open a window and run out. My generator user manual has information about safe levels and I presume others do as well.
^^^This. Follow the safety precautions and things will be fine. Plus, you're helping (albeit in a minuscule way) to replenish the ozone layer.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen006 View Post
I always enjoyed listening to Car Talk back when it was on NPR.

Tom and Ray Magliozzi, aka: Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, always recommended coffee grounds to remove odors. Whenever I buy a used guitar and/or case, I always toss one of those single-serving bags of coffee into the case and the soundhole of the guitar. I leave them in for a good while and they absorb the odors very well. The coffee smell then dissipates quite quickly once removed from the guitar and the case. I generally drink a cup or two of coffee while doing all of this.

I may try the coffee bags in my LGs - could be a good solution. Thanks.

(Do we need decaffeinated or Super?)

BluesKing777.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:26 PM

This shouldn't be too tricky. Get a pint of vodka, a gallon of lighter fluid and a small to medium sized chimpanzee. Drink the vodka, make some cool patterns in your lawn with the light fluid, light iton on fire, and enjoy as you pal around with the monkey. You wont notice any strange odors coming from your guitar at that point.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I may try the coffee bags in my LGs - could be a good solution. Thanks.
Great idea - and then you can start a thread "How can I get coffee smells out of my guitars?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
This shouldn't be too tricky. Get a pint of vodka, a gallon of lighter fluid and a small to medium sized chimpanzee. Drink the vodka, make some cool patterns in your lawn with the light fluid, light iton on fire, and enjoy as you pal around with the monkey. You wont notice any strange odors coming from your guitar at that point.
Finally a suggestion that actually addresses the problem!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion