The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 PM

TDQ,
I bought an older voiced Lucky 13. Then Joe gave it the new voice for me!
Barb
Old 01-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Guest 928

TDQ:

By the way, thanks for bringing this up. You were an integral part of the early CF movement and it's nice to see the history pop up once in a while.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Hey! That’s my Emerald T8!
Penny
Old 01-18-2019, 03:26 PM

I had the T8 during said Road Tripping
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Guest 928

Given the difficulty of finding CF guitars I am surprised that none of the builders have started their own road trips. The trip guitars could be accompanied with a list of retail locations for easy ordering and purchase.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Given the difficulty of finding CF guitars I am surprised that none of the builders have started their own road trips. The trip guitars could be accompanied with a list of retail locations for easy ordering and purchase.
Another way to do it is to have some professional players take a few guitars to various places and give seminars on their respective styles, but featuring the guitars so folks can come up and try them after the seminar. Taylor did that for quite some time. Usually, Guitar Center hosted those events. It wasn't a Taylor road show, but instead a single solo fingerstyle player (or maybe a flatpicker) such as Preston Reed or Steven King (the fingerstyle player). In other words, top notch players featuring Taylor guitars.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 PM

I remember some of the early Taylor clinics / prototype Road Shows. Got to hear Chris Proctor and Doyle Dykes play from less than 10 feet away, and meet them afterward. Those were at Tall Toad Music in Petaluma, CA, and that must have been in the late 80's or very early 90's. It helped put Taylor guitars on my personal radar. The Road Show format developed from those early clinics, then evolved into the format we see today. I have been to probably eight Road Shows over the years, in several different states. The last one was here in Boise on NOV 30.

I really enjoyed some of the events right after the NT neck was introduced. They would connect with a current Taylor owner before the show and offer to set up his/her NT guitar. Then during the show the tech would (without warning) unbolt the neck and casually hand the disembodied neck to the shocked owner, proceed to change the shims, reattach the neck, and then put on new strings. The whole thing took 7-8 minutes in front of the crowd, and the expression on the owner's face was priceless!
Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I remember some of the early Taylor clinics / prototype Road Shows. Got to hear Chris Proctor and Doyle Dykes play from less than 10 feet away, and meet them afterward. Those were at Tall Toad Music in Petaluma, CA, and that must have been in the late 80's or very early 90's. It helped put Taylor guitars on my personal radar. The Road Show format developed from those early clinics, then evolved into the format we see today. I have been to probably eight Road Shows over the years, in several different states. The last one was here in Boise on NOV 30.

I really enjoyed some of the events right after the NT neck was introduced. They would connect with a current Taylor owner before the show and offer to set up his/her NT guitar. Then during the show the tech would (without warning) unbolt the neck and casually hand the disembodied neck to the shocked owner, proceed to change the shims, reattach the neck, and then put on new strings. The whole thing took 7-8 minutes in front of the crowd, and the expression on the owner's face was priceless!
Nuthin' up my sleeve … presto!!!

I only attended one Taylor Roadshow, but have been to a bunch of the Taylor sponsored seminars over the years. All events were fun and informative.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Good times, indeed. I can't remember which the first Road Trip guitar was, but believe that Kramster is right in that it was the X5.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNichol View Post
Good times, indeed. I can't remember which the first Road Trip guitar was, but believe that Kramster is right in that it was the X5.
Thanks Mikey... it was the first one I found photos of and figured I was in on most.

How many total did you do?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post

How many total did you do?
Maybe 20 or so?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I was able to get in on the Synergy Harp guitar road trip. What a great concept! Rather than drop a boatload of cash on a concept guitar, spend a wee bit and test drive it. I quickly realized I wasn’t the next Michael Hedges, and humbly passed the guitar to the next in line.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Given the difficulty of finding CF guitars I am surprised that none of the builders have started their own road trips.
It takes a dealer who buys the guitar up front, then takes some risk on wear and tear as it moves from buyer to buyer. How many times have people passed on new guitars or demanded steep discounts because of some shop wear (dings and scratches)? Not matter how careful everyone is when handling it along the chain, in the end it becomes a well-used guitar. As a business owner, that is not a great way for me to tie up my capital. I love the concept and would happily partake if it was an instrument I was serious about buying.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Guest 928

I suspect that Michael lost money on road trips. They were for him, I believe, a community service that many of us enjoyed and found beneficial.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber