The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-10-2021, 06:35 PM

Default I'm Chasing My Tail

I have a guitar with 3 high frets as determined by a fret rocker. I file down the tops slowly and carefully and use the fret rocker to check every 2 or 3 few strokes until the rocking disappears. Then mark the tops with a felt pen in order to crown them with a three sided file with the edges ground off leaving a narrow strip of pen on the top. My problem is, when I get the fret down to where it stops rocking, then the next one adjacent to it is rocking like it's too high where it wasn't before. Almost like I took to much off the original. I have the strings loosened and straighten the neck before I proceed. Please advise as to what I am doing wrong. I've watched some videos and I don't think I'm doing anything different than most videos I have watched.

Confused
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 PM

That’s the nature of filling individual frets. It can work successfully but a light dressing of the whole fingerboard is the usual approach I use.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:34 AM

You have to address the issue of why you have high frets too. If they are loose then you can have problems filing them and they go right back to where they we're.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
You have to address the issue of why you have high frets too. If they are loose then you can have problems filing them and they go right back to where they we're.
I don't think the issue is loose frets (checked that) but more of the guitar being an inexpensive one.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I would agree with both Charles and Redir; treat the fretboard as a whole entity and look for causality.

Start by asking yourself why a fret is too high or too low? It may be not fully seated, or hammered in too deep, or sprung up because the slot was cut too wide, or over dressed, or under dressed compared to the surrounding frets, or the fretboard itself may not be level. Each of these scenarios may well need a different solution.

A fret rocker tool, like the one from StuMac, will only tell you that a fret is higher than one of the frets either side of it. And it could be that one adjacent fret is too low rather than the centre one too high. They are great tools to quickly highlight problem areas but you then need to investigate the specific issue. And more often than not you will end up lightly dressing the whole board.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair