The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Default New Bose S1Pro Killer? - Yorkville Mobile 8

Coming out July 21,2021

Yorkville EXM Mobile 8, Pre- order $599 might be $730 after?
Looks like S1Pro : 8" 3 way, 200 watts, 123dB max, 17lbs, battery operated with easy to read battery level meter, bluetooth, master volume control!, shape feature- is this reverb? Here we go again- sounds promising. They even copied the tilt back feature. No App control, might be a deal breaker for me. After JBL Eon One Compact I'm spoiled- love EQ ing from a distance/audience perspective. I know nothing about Yorkville. Are they a good company?

They are also coming out with a 30lbs battery/bluetooth subwoofer. 2x8" woofers Only 100 watts, must be really weak. They claim 122dB Peak. 47Hz low frequency extension. Pricey- $670
My Fishman Sub300 is the minimum power I would consider. Fishman at 300 watts produce max 109dB. I don't know how they could get 122dB with 100 watts?

Last edited by wweiss; 05-02-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

That looks great! I used Yorkville speakers and a powered mixer for years with no troubles. I haven't heard anything by Yorkville or had any experience with any of their gear in a while (15 years or so) but I always liked their stuff while I had it. I'll be interested to check this out!

Matt
Old 05-02-2021, 01:55 PM

I really hope the S1 Pro gets an update soon, but knowing Bose - it'll be another 7 years
Old 05-03-2021, 07:26 AM

It has a few interesting differences, speaker size being one of them. It does not appear to have the speaker array design but a coaxial speaker instead. That may be a boon for people who want to use this in more intimate settings as it may sound flatter.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:12 AM

Looking at the controls, it has reverb on two of the three channels. Each of the three channels has a "shape" control which would be a rudimentary EQ control. Don't expect to have any fine control over your EQ.

Yorkville has a long history of making solid, reliable, but somewhat pedestrian products. I've known several people that had their PA products and were happy with them.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I have to chuckle a bit when I see these "killer" posts. Seems that whenever a manufacturer comes out with an innovative product, others will try to make their competitive (?) version. It takes more drive and imagination to create a product than it does to copy a product.

I got a Bose L1c about a decade ago. Still works great. All these array systems that came later were supposed to be "Bose killers." Same with the S1 Pro, which is a slick, very compact system. My L1c and S1 aren't dead, yet.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:42 PM

Specs on paper mean nothing if the sound isn't there. JBL Eon Compact for example. I bought one as it ticked all the boxes feature wise, but I can't make it sound as good as my S1. Kept it though.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Specs on paper mean nothing if the sound isn't there. JBL Eon Compact for example. I bought one as it ticked all the boxes feature wise, but I can't make it sound as good as my S1. Kept it though.
I sold the Eon Compact and kept the Eon One Pro and the Bose S1. Those two units work for me. However, I need a lot less SPL than you.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:16 AM

This amp doesn't seem to have any App control so the Bose S1 has the advantage through the Bose Connect App to pair two S1Pros wirelessly in true L/R stereo. I know its not portable anymore, but two S1Pros on poles sound incredible!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:43 PM

Although it's the latest trend to use phone or Ipad apps to control working parameters for devices I personally wouldn't do that.

Once the manufacturer decides they no longer want to support their product you end up with a really expensive paperweight. It's happened to users in the past and it will become more and more of a problem in the future.

If anyone opts to encourage manufacturers to not include real hardware control then they may pay the price for the wizz-bang stuff in the long run.

You can still operate a Fender Champ vintage tube amp today, but if "apps" were involved I can imagine what the outcome of that would have been.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:42 PM

How exactly is this going to 'kill' the S1 Pro?

Not going to cost less.

No indication of better quality.

People are going to cancel their orders for a S1 Pro and buy Yorkville because???

Maybe the OP can return and fill in the blanks.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45 PM

I have never heard the Yorkville but see some areas that might outperform the S1:
8" woofer probably has better bass response
has master volume control, a feature many people on this site say they miss
claimed max dB 123dB vs Bose 109dB - Highly unlikely? Of course none of these improvements mean anything unless they can match or improve on the clarity/smoothness/vocal performance of the S1Pro. I'm not selling my S1Pro anytime soon!

Last edited by wweiss; 05-05-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:50 PM

Ive owned a yorkville
nx10c for years. these are
good solid units. The sound
is great. But like said above
more" pedestrian" . But id put them
at par with any jbl powered speaker
and maybe a notch below qsc. rugged and roadworthy. Not boutique.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I'm not selling my S1Pro anytime soon!
If you, the originator of this thread, don't think it is an S1 Pro killer, then why did you title the thread that way??

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
If you, the originator of this thread, don't think it is an S1 Pro killer, then why did you title the thread that way??
In his OP he asked it as a question and not a statement, unless he's changed it since the OP. At least that's the way I took it.

As one of the early adopters of the S1 system and someone that still loves/uses it exclusively, I'm always interested to see the latest entry into the small, lightweight, battery powered speaker system. And I'm certainly not offended by the tone of the OP. From the video above this one doesn't seem like it will mount much of a challenge. Pedestrian video production skills aside, there doesn't seem to be many features that would make me give it a try at any price.

Just the fact that they focused it mostly as a presentation speaker for office and gym as opposed to a serious music performance system was telling. The next thing that jumped out was that there was no multi-directional speakers so they are not copying Bose' wide sound dispersion abilities which is always a major selling point and feature of the Bose systems. But who knows? It might just be exactly what someone needs. Something for everyone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification