The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Acoustic Guitar Podcasts?

We just launched a new Podcast, and I'm new to the scene. I listen to some NFL podcasts as well as some tech-related programs, but I must admit I don't know what's good out there in terms of acoustic guitar pods.

What acoustic guitar-related podcasts do you listen to? Thanks!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-21-2021, 07:37 PM

I quite like Michael Bashkin's Luthier on Luthier. Bashkin is obviously quite knowledgeable and also has a pleasant, easy-going style. Some great guests. We need more though. I'm looking forward to checking out yours. Good luck with it!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:12 PM

Classical guitar corner; classical guitar insider; jazz guitar lessons.net podcast; fretboard journal; etc.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdube View Post
I quite like Michael Bashkin's Luthier on Luthier. Bashkin is obviously quite knowledgeable and also has a pleasant, easy-going style. Some great guests. We need more though. I'm looking forward to checking out yours. Good luck with it!
Thanks, I'll have to check that out & I hope you like ours.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
Classical guitar corner; classical guitar insider; jazz guitar lessons.net podcast; fretboard journal; etc.
Thank you! I forgot about the FJ.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-22-2021, 07:42 AM

Tony Polecastro has one that I have listened to several times. What's it called... Acoustic Life, maybe?

Good luck with your new podcast!
Old 04-22-2021, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Excellent- thank you! I've always liked his videos on YouTube. Great player!
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-29-2021, 08:29 AM

I find Tony's stuff too long winded. He has some great content but the way he mixes in talking about himself and plugging TAC gets old after a while. I can't listen to an hour of that.

I don't really have any good acoustic focused podcasts I really like. I will give yours a try.

I bought a Reverend this year, FWIW I thought your shops demos of the Reverends on Youtube were phenomenal. Great playing and some of the only ones that had good clean playing.

Last edited by beninma; 04-29-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I find Tony's stuff too long winded. He has some great content but the way he mixes in talking about himself and plugging TAC gets old after a while. I can't listen to an hour of that.

I don't really have any good acoustic focused podcasts I really like. I will give yours a try.

I bought a Reverend this year, FWIW I thought your shops demos of the Reverends on Youtube were phenomenal. Great playing and some of the only ones that had good clean playing.
Thank you - very kind!
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-29-2021, 12:53 PM

I don't listen to any acoustic guitar podcasts regularly, but all my favorite 'genre' podcasts are like Michael Bashkin's - a deeply knowledgeable and likable host able to have a real conversation with a genre expert, get some inside insight and fun stories, educate without teaching, and ask questions I'm not smart enough to ask. I'd happily listen to two experts talk shop about pretty much anything.

My podcast don'ts: host doing most of the talking, rudely arguing with guests (disagreeing/discussing is great), or pontificating, or reading questions from a list, or clearly not listening to the guest, or plugging their own content all the time.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:48 PM

It's not strictly acoustic but some of the best if you expand to interviewer style podcast who do not stick 100% to acoustic talk IMO:

- Greg Koch - he sometimes interviews acoustic artists

- Cory Wong - same thing, he interviews a wide range of artists, some are acoustic artists

Both of these guys ask a lot of really intelligent questions with less of a gear focus. I find it more interesting.

I can only listen to so much gear talk. After a while it all just sounds like advertising and hype to generate GAS. I get more out of hearing an artists approach, artist recommendations for practice and study, stories from the road, etc..
Old 04-29-2021, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Maury, I think you might enjoy some of the guests on this one. He 'casts on an unpredictable schedule, but gets some great players.

https://www.adamrafferty.com/podcast...-all-episodes/
Old 04-29-2021, 02:10 PM

Maury - I just downloaded all three podcasts. I'll give them a listen to when I'm in my car (probably this week-end / next week when I actually can get out).

The one comment I have is to try and find a consistent file naming convention, for example "Maurys Podcast EP1 xyz".
Old 04-29-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
I don't listen to any acoustic guitar podcasts regularly, but all my favorite 'genre' podcasts are like Michael Bashkin's - a deeply knowledgeable and likable host able to have a real conversation with a genre expert, get some inside insight and fun stories, educate without teaching, and ask questions I'm not smart enough to ask. I'd happily listen to two experts talk shop about pretty much anything.

My podcast don'ts: host doing most of the talking, rudely arguing with guests (disagreeing/discussing is great), or pontificating, or reading questions from a list, or clearly not listening to the guest, or plugging their own content all the time.
Totally agree. I would find Michael Bashkin's Luthier on Luthier podcast interesting if I knew nothing about guitars (which, come to think of it, was the case when I started listening to it !) It is one of my top 3 interview podcasts period - which is probably obvious given the fact that I plug it anytime the subject comes up
Old 04-30-2021, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Maury - I just downloaded all three podcasts. I'll give them a listen to when I'm in my car (probably this week-end / next week when I actually can get out).

The one comment I have is to try and find a consistent file naming convention, for example "Maurys Podcast EP1 xyz".
Thanks, I hope you like it!
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN