The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM

Played mandolin in a bluegrass band back in the 70’s and 80’s and of course didn’t. None of us ever did.

In the late 80’s and in the 90’s did solo singer/songwriter gigs and open mics. Never once plugged in. Always have preferred the sound of acoustic guitars more more that way than plugged in. I have 17 acoustics only two plug in. I only play at home these days and have a couple small acoustics amps and have plugged them in just a couple times to make sure they worked. Still wouldn’t plug if if still gigging.

So I have been playing primarily acoustics since 1957 and plugged in only a few times only at home.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

The only time I've played out not plugged in was when I did a book signing at a book store; the owner asked (ahead of time) if I'd play something after giving a talk. It seemed odd not being plugged in.

I'm thinking my days of playing out are in question. Before the Covid situation, I was occasionally playing corporate gigs, at happy hour or after dinner. Those have gone away. Don't think I have the desire to try bars again (haven't done that for 25 years). I was asked to play at a party next month, but we won't be around.

C'est la vie.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Well, the first 30 odd years of owning acoustics, I never plugged in once. For the last 10+ years, though, I’ve plugged in 99% of the time. My playing style now calls for it.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:01 PM

yes...plugged in...guitar>tonedeq>PA
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:05 PM

Yes, I plug in through my ToneDexter.

Lately, at home, I've been plugging through the ToneDexter into my mixer while listening through headphones. The mixer allows my to apply a little reverb and compression, and it gives me a much better idea of what I sound like when performing.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-12-2021, 05:13 AM

I plug in all the time for gigs.
Occasionally in small intimate
venues i may set up an sm81.
With just enough gain to add air.
But setting up a mic is one more
step in the process that isnt
really necessary. One more
stand and cord to carry.
Ive been playing live venues
for over 40 yrs and tend to try
to bring a minimum. Two trips
from the car. And im working on
one trip..
Old 05-12-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Yep, plugged in for all our gigs. Straight into either a LB Artist of Bose S1 with a switched cable that enables me to change between 6 and 12 string guitar on the same channel. I also have my mandolin plugged into the aux channel on either with a preamp (Fishman Platinum Pro). Way more information than you asked for but now you know.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Wondering how many of us plug in to some sort of amp or sound system when gigging. There are so many options to plug in so there must be a load of us acoustic players who do that. I do. Do you?
Yes, I plug my Trance Audio Amulet M into a Radial PZ Deluxe, into a Bose L1 model 1. I absolutely love it.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-12-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Plugged in for every gig and only plugged in at home when I'm testing equipment.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 AM

Always. (10 characters)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

There was, pre COVID, an acoustic music society who sponsored all acoustic shows for around 50 in a rental hall. Pin drop quiet, it was interesting to have standup bass, two guitars, and a mandolin with no sound reinforcement. You really need to sing out to be heard.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM

I plug into a DI box at church for every service if I use my Takamine. I occasionally play my Guild F-512 or Gallagher G-71 Special and since they don't have pickups I use a mic for those.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 PM

My first attempt at playing in public for pay (final analysis, I got dinners and a few tips) was at a restaurant/bar near Lake Tahoe, California.

Just me and my guitar.

The acoustics of the room were lousy except from a perch atop the fireplace (natural stone custom made by a brilliantly talented local) From there, I could be heard throughout the room with no clue where the sound was coming from. The stones and the ceiling distributed the sound marvelously.

Unfortunately, with no way to tell where the sound was coming from, I was nearly invisible and got few tips (also had not learned yet how to "connect" with my audience).

Since then, I have found the best (and nearly the only) way to distribute my "noise" to good effect is to use an amp and speakers, well-placed. Very few venues lend themselves to pure acoustic performance.

In Anchorage, we have a very well designed performing arts center, but the excellent sound characteristics are enhanced by a rather sophisticated sound system. Modern architecture practically demands electronic assist.

So, plugging in for public performance is nearly mandatory unless you are very lucky or naturally very loud.

Guitars by their nature are intimate, quiet instruments. The Dreadnough and Resophonic guitars were early attempts to overcome that limitation. Electronic power succeeded where size and resophonic design only partially succeeded.

So, I plug in regularly.

Also, at home plugging in allows me to play around with other electronic enhancements like Vocal Harmonizers, Loopers, Flangers, Chorusing that I might like to use on my acoustic guitars in performance-just for kicks.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:29 AM

In the roughly 30 years I've been playing at my church, I always plug my acoustic guitar in. If I didn't, the vocal mics would totally overpower the guitar so the congregation wouldn't be able to hear it and the choir would not be able to hear the guitar either.

In that time, I've used under-saddle pickups of various brands in guitars of various brands.

When I started around 30 years ago I plugged straight into the house sound but then bought a Zoom A3 with various other pedals and now use a BOSS AD10 with an added Fishman Align Reverb.

This Sunday will be my last Mass as I'm retiring on the 19th and moving to the Reno area. I have no plans as yet to play for my church up there but "never say never!"

Best,
PJ
Old 05-15-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
There was, pre COVID, an acoustic music society who sponsored all acoustic shows for around 50 in a rental hall. Pin drop quiet, it was interesting to have standup bass, two guitars, and a mandolin with no sound reinforcement. You really need to sing out to be heard.
I'd love to attend one of those!

I plug in, usually into simple house systems, then occasionally with my Bose L1 Compact, and later this summer I think I'll need my L1 M2 to fill a large outdoor space for a farmer's market. Not to blow everyone away, but to comfortably fill it at relaxed chill level.

Of course live music sans amplification was the only option for most human history, and I expect the ability to really belt it out or at least project was much more crucial. Aside from classic orchestra auditoriums, one of the venues for smaller outfits in the U.S. were opera houses, especially post-Civil War. The name was to class up the joint, as opera wasn't their mainstay. More like bands and theatre troupes, local and touring.

Different eras promote different skills. There are singers today who could have made it just fine in the opera house era--but could, say, a Norah Jones? Meanwhile I can certainly think of bluegrass acts armed with D-28s and old-timey multiple-voice rocket launchers that I'd have trouble speaking over at my local hangouts. If that isn't loud enough, you can always call out the brass band artillery.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification