The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2021, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Tondexter Users - Gig settings?

I was curious for those Tonedexter users who gig, specifically when playing with others including drummers what sort of settings you use for "character"? Do you run pure mic setting or blend in a lot more of the pickup as you go left?
Old 05-11-2021, 01:02 PM

I can't really answer that just yet because we're (UK) not back to gigging but it's worth noting that I find myself using a higher % level on the latest firmware (and associated wavemaps) than previously when I was usually around the 70% mark. I'm basing this comparison on recent home practice and fading memories of gigs.

I find myself settling on ch1 for now.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

My band is bass, drums, acoustic guitar and voices. We play at medium levels.

If the room is good and has dry acoustics, or if outdoors, I'll use CH2.
If the room is typical, I'll use CH1
If the room is very wet with lots of reverb, I may use CH0 to cut through a little better.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-11-2021, 09:42 PM

I perform mostly as a solo singer/acoustic player and use ch2 all the time with slight adjustments to an external eq as needed.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I was curious for those Tonedexter users who gig, specifically when playing with others including drummers what sort of settings you use for "character"? Do you run pure mic setting or blend in a lot more of the pickup as you go left?
Hi UncleJesse…
I typically use CH-2. Sounds most like my guitar if it were being recorded or played through a decent microphone.

In a regular band setting (with vocals, electronic drums, bass, keys, & another acoustic), I'm using a feedback suppressor (big black plug in soundhole) because I'm only a foot behind the mains, and the volunteer techs LOVE to push the subwoofers (which I'm less than 10 feet from).

The new ToneDexter firmware update has increased control over the feedback inducers.

I'll always start with CH2, but if I have an educated friend (who knows what to listen for), is in the room, I'll ask them to listen while I switch characters and play. I've tried both CH1 and CH0. So far it ends up on CH2.

I run a small stage monitor/Acoustic Amp (single 8" woofer with high frequency driver). It gives me a pretty accurate echo of the mains.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-13-2021, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I need to retry recording my IR again. It sounds sort of on the thin side on ch2 and found I needed to go almost all the way counter clockwise to get a full enough tone. I used an sm81 for my training.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe I need to retry recording my IR again. It sounds sort of on the thin side on ch2 and found I needed to go almost all the way counter clockwise to get a full enough tone. I used an sm81 for my training.
I have had the same experience - out of the 5 guitars I have trained with the TD using either an SM81, C451B, or KSM27 CH2 and CH1 usually feel too thin or "distant". I usually end up around 45-55% blend + or - with the top mic position that James mentions being my favorite.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Riley View Post
I have had the same experience - out of the 5 guitars I have trained with the TD using either an SM81, C451B, or KSM27 CH2 and CH1 usually feel too thin or "distant". I usually end up around 45-55% blend + or - with the top mic position that James mentions being my favorite.
The above are not expected results. I'm curious what type of pickups you guys are using? Feel free to contact me at Audio Sprockets for tech support.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-13-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
The above are not expected results. I'm curious what type of pickups you guys are using? Feel free to contact me at Audio Sprockets for tech support.
K&K mini's in my D18, HD-35, and a friend's HD-28. ES2 in my Taylor 714 and a friend's taylor custom.

Thanks for the offer James! To be clear, I do really enjoy the tonedexter and have been gigging with it - it really adds air to the k&k especially - it's entirely possible that maybe I just prefer a more direct signal? I tend to play in decently dense mixes (another guitar, piano, bass, drums, 2-3 singers, sometimes mando/banjos) so maybe that is part of it. I'll maybe reach out to you just for some tips... I've watched all your youtube vids and don't really feel like I have a technical issue with the device... I have trained with 2 separate units and it feels similar in each scenario. It's almost like I hear more "room" noise, if that makes sense, the higher the blend goes.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I use Character 0. I toyed with them through an amp and never found any combination that outdid the pure ToneDexter.

There's EQ on the pedal. And my Sonitone preamps have a Tone dial, so I can tweak the sound on the fly a little. But I've never found the need for anything more.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I'm using the ultratonic. My basement is where I recorded my IRs and it's a pretty acoustically dead area. Maybe I should try elsewhere.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm using the ultratonic. My basement is where I recorded my IRs and it's a pretty acoustically dead area. Maybe I should try elsewhere.
I ordered the Ultra Tonic upgrade last week, and I have an SM81 mic, too. So, hopefully by next week sometime I will have had it installed, recorded an IR with the mic, and tried it out at an Open Mic or two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification