The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Short video on Busses in a DAW

So just did this quick video about how I use Busses in Pro Tools but the concept applies to basically and DAW

Note the video was made in 1080 so looks most clear in Full Screen when that resolution selected on YouTube

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-09-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:24 PM

Nice vid

My modus operandi is a bit different. Although I've grown up with analogue desks in recording and live situations I've embraced the options suggested by the digital medium which is not bound by the practicalities of the hardware manufacturing process.

As a result, and guided by the experience of others I tend to organise my tracks thusly (I work in Reaper):

I have three or four tracks for recording different takes all within a folder (identical track features) into which I load dynamic processing, EQ, similar utility FX. Also within the folder running parallel to the recorded tracks I place a "folderFX" track (reverb/delay, etc.) and I set up sends (one click/drag) from any channel usually but not always within that folder to the folderFX. The folderFX fader is now the FX return and the main folder fader works on recorded tracks and folderFX track simultaneously, particularly handy for pre-fade 'verbs

I open up a project and create "folder+tracks" which I've previously saved as preset templates. Each one is defined by it's source, VoxMic/GtrPickup(various)/MidiKeys, etc.

All folders are then "within" another folder "LastBus" (loaded with VST) before going to the master outs because some bright spark noticed that doing it this way was significantly easier on CPU that "folders direct to master out.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Nice vid

My modus operandi is a bit different. Although I've grown up with analogue desks in recording and live situations I've embraced the options suggested by the digital medium which is not bound by the practicalities of the hardware manufacturing process.

As a result, and guided by the experience of others I tend to organise my tracks thusly (I work in Reaper):

I have three or four tracks for recording different takes all within a folder (identical track features) into which I load dynamic processing, EQ, similar utility FX. Also within the folder running parallel to the recorded tracks I place a "folderFX" track (reverb/delay, etc.) and I set up sends (one click/drag) from any channel usually but not always within that folder to the folderFX. The folderFX fader is now the FX return and the main folder fader works on recorded tracks and folderFX track simultaneously, particularly handy for pre-fade 'verbs

I open up a project and create "folder+tracks" which I've previously saved as preset templates. Each one is defined by it's source, VoxMic/GtrPickup(various)/MidiKeys, etc.

All folders are then "within" another folder "LastBus" (loaded with VST) before going to the master outs because some bright spark noticed that doing it this way was significantly easier on CPU that "folders direct to master out.
Hey thanks
I think I am basically understanding your work flow .

As a complete side note::: It is kinda of shame that different DAW's often have different sometimes proprietary nomenclature for more or less basically the functions Which is often hard to understand for the beginner or someone used to a different DAW's lingo . Then when you couple this inherent difference with the differences in the way we as individuals describe things, sometimes communication gets a bit difficult.

For example "LastBus" I get but,,,,, But the statement "loaded with VST", I am unclear about (given VST is simply one of several different specific types of plugin Formats )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-12-2021, 03:50 PM

Sorry, the names are mine. "LastBus" is a folder track that all tracks are funnelled through before going to the master output, which I like to keep clear. I've developed presets for most things and the LastBus has compressor and EQ loaded as standard, whether I use them or not.

The point I'm desparately trying not to obscure with my rambling is that using a folder system rather than a bus system is both more logical and flexible. I can imagine this being "the way" forever if workflow restrictions hadn't been imposed by analogue mixer design and the price of decent outboard units.

So don't be afraid to explore other ways to structure your tracks according to what your DAW allows. There is much discussion of the pros and cons by folks who have works all ways round.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:06 PM

Nice video, Kev.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, the names are mine. "LastBus" is a folder track that all tracks are funnelled through before going to the master output, which I like to keep clear. I've developed presets for most things and the LastBus has compressor and EQ loaded as standard, whether I use them or not.

The point I'm desparately trying not to obscure with my rambling is that using a folder system rather than a bus system is both more logical and flexible. I can imagine this being "the way" forever if workflow restrictions hadn't been imposed by analogue mixer design and the price of decent outboard units.
It's also a function of how the DAW engineers decided to design things. Sure, many DAWs just use old analog conventions. But Reaper folders weren't necessarily a given or obvious choice either. I'm also a Reaper user and really like the way it simplifies both setting up and visualizing the routing. Maybe someday someone will invent a DAW that is even better! As people here have pointed out, which DAW you use should be based on your preferred workflow--all the top contenders can do the job.

(For those who aren't Reaper users, a Folder is essentially a way to collect a bunch of tracks and quickly and easily create a bus that sends them all to another track. The collected tracks appear "inside" the Folder track in the DAW interface, so it's really easy to see the tracks that are collected, and have the 'sub-group' Folder track to control and/or effect those tracks as a group.)
Old 05-13-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

So don't be afraid to explore other ways to structure your tracks according to what your DAW allows. There is much discussion of the pros and cons by folks who have works all ways round.
Sorry if I was not clear..... Your "Last Bus" is the one I did understand as being your overall Mix Folder and the final outputting to your Master, and yes I also prefer Folders over sub busses if for no other reason than being able to hide tracks that are not in current use. (I will post some screen shots in a new reply of my session template in which I also have everything pre loaded )

It was your "Loaded with VST" that was unclear, but now I get it as pre loaded EQ and Compressor

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
It's also a function of how the DAW engineers decided to design things. Sure, many DAWs just use old analog conventions. But Reaper folders weren't necessarily a given or obvious choice either. I'm also a Reaper user and really like the way it simplifies both setting up and visualizing the routing. Maybe someday someone will invent a DAW that is even better! As people here have pointed out, which DAW you use should be based on your preferred workflow--all the top contenders can do the job.

(For those who aren't Reaper users, a Folder is essentially a way to collect a bunch of tracks and quickly and easily create a bus that sends them all to another track. The collected tracks appear "inside" the Folder track in the DAW interface, so it's really easy to see the tracks that are collected, and have the 'sub-group' Folder track to control and/or effect those tracks as a group.)

To clarify If my memory is correct it was Steinberg Cubase that first introduced Folder tracks I think as far back or even before 2005

Subsequently other DAWs like Reaper etc. have introduced them as well including now Pro Tools who waited until they had IMO an outstanding implementation folder tracks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-13-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Nice video, Kev.
Thanks I turned out OK being off the cuff so to speak.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-13-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Ok so here is one of my session templates This Template is named 24-48 Gtr Vox which stands for 24 bit 48 samples Guitar and Vocal
So in ProTools you can select to have the Quick Start dialog box open on launch and have it list your customized user defined session templates, then you simply select and rename the specific template... In this case I renamed it "AGF Session"

This is how the session opens with all the folders collapsed except the Acoustic Rhythm Guitar which expanded and ready to hit record (the red buttons below the pan knobs)

Then this is the session with all the folder tracks expanded

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-13-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

If anybody is interested I started a new thread specifically about what or our actual sessions/projects actually look like
Here is the thread link https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...03#post6715503

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD