The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Weight of guitar cords

Hi,

Have you found some guitar cords to be lighter (weight) than others. Why is that ? Do you lose any sound quality using a lighter weight cord ? What brand do you prefer?

THANKS!
Old 05-09-2021, 09:41 AM

Lighter weight ones are generally more cheaply constructed, more prone to noise, and don't last as long. I would say anything under $20 probably isn't worth it if you're going to use it a lot.

I've been using Planet Waves American Stage series cables for several years now without failure. They're up to around $40 a piece now. But I'm coiling and uncoiling, plugging and unplugging twice a week, every week. A more casual hobbiest can likely make do with a less expensive alternative.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi,

Have you found some guitar cords to be lighter (weight) than others. Why is that ? Do you lose any sound quality using a lighter weight cord ? What brand do you prefer?

THANKS!
George L's 155 cables are quality light weight cables.
https://www.georgelsstore.com/

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-09-2021, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi,

THANKS!
Hi wg…

I don't find cheaply built cables sound worse, they just have issues and fall apart sooner. Just not road-worthy.

My George L cords are lighter than others, but not sub-standard. I built them over 12 years ago. They are not cheap, and can be do-it-yourself or manufactured by George L and both work well. I particularly like the options for 'ends'. I have Strat versions with a grip strip cut from the metal. Easy to remove from a strat by grabbing the end, not the cable.

George L cables (the diy versions) are repairable without the use of solder on the road. I've never had one fail, but I have an extra in my bag all the time. The idea is if someone steps on a cable while you are playing it will break away without ripping out the wood where the input is mounted.

Their manufactured cables are more hearty.

I don't find $40-60 cables better than just solidly built cables. My TRS versions (for dual source pickups) are just Whirlwind cables, which have lasted well over 20 years without failure. They were $15 cables.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-09-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM

Much of the difference in weight with longer guitar cables comes from the jacket. Some cables have a heavy rubber type jacket, some have lighter coverings. In theory the heavy jackets might be more durable. One published cable test once subjected cables to the slicing dangers of a dropped cymbal's edge for example.

Some of those heavy jacketed cables are too stiff for my liking when used with a guitar. For guitar to amp or pedal board I really like some flex in the cable, and I'm even willing to risk shorter duty life to get that myself. A stiffer cable with less flex might reduce the amount of bend/fatigue breakage in the internal wires and shield, but the cost in inconvenience is too much for me.

The jack ends can vary in weight by a considerable amount too, and in a short patch cable a pair of them make up a considerable part of the weight.

I think there may be some "put some additional weight/girth into it" design choices that are meant to signal high-quality to the buyer in some cases, "marketing weight" so to speak.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-09-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I don't find cheaply built cables sound worse, they just have issues and fall apart sooner. Just not road-worthy.
That's been my experience as well. As long as the cable meets specs it won't affect sound quality. A $1,000 guitar cable won't make your guitar sound better.

Ethan Winer demonstrates this better than I could explain it:

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-10-2021, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I find the G chord to be the heaviest so I use it less but man is it durable
Old 05-12-2021, 05:37 AM

I bought a monster cable
for "acoustic" Back in the late
90s. It was 29 dollars which at the
time i thought ridiculously expensive.
Ive replaced it under warrentee
4 times. they are now around 80
dollars. so i got my 29 bucks worth
out of it. About 4 yrs ago i bought 25 ft of mogami cable. About half or less the diameter of the monster.
I got some neutric gold ends.
It sounds as good as any. is much more manageable on stage. i have
enough for 2 more cords if i want.
But the original hasnt failed
me yet after 5 yrs of gigging. Quality cable absolutly does not have to be
pencil thick . It just has to be quality
cable. The thicker cables kink up
if you turn around a couple of times
on stage. Take up more room and
are just stiffer than the mogami.
I bought some van damme cable
but i havnt even tried it yet.
Just too thick..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification