The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-10-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Best way to debond?

Looking for suggestions on a somewhat unusual situation. I have an Eastman OM with a piezoelectric actuator that is glued to the underside of the guitar top, just forward of the bridge plate. I'm told that the actuator was (unfortunately) bonded with Super Glue. I'm thinking about moving the actuator so that it's center is inline with the bridge pins. In the picture, I'd be moving it in about the 7:00 direction roughly 1.5". The actuator is 1.3" in diameter.

actuator.jpg

I believe the actuator has a ring on the bottom to which the glue is applied. So its not like the glue is spread over a 1.3" dia face. I contacted the actuator manufacturer and was told it's operational max temperature is 60C (140F). I originally thought I could slowly apply heat to a masked-off region of the top from the outside. But that means I'd be heating part of the pick guard and the nearby braces. From what I've gleaned from the interwebs, super glue doesn't soften until 150C (300F). While I imagine the actuator would be OK somewhat above the quoted max, 150C could well be a problem - not to mention the glue joints for the braces that are nearby, and the finish on the guitar top. Heating the actuator itself from inside the guitar would help with the braces, but I'm not sure I could get it warm enough (w/o damage) to soften the glue. I suppose I could try some gentle heating from the outside and just see if I can pop the actuator off - but I'm not sure how far I can go w/o damaging the finish or the glue joints of the braces.

I guess that leaves a chemical approach. But I'd think it would be difficult to get something far enough into the glue joint - depending on how wide the ring of glue is.

Has anyone tried something like this?
Old 05-10-2021, 11:31 AM

Default a thought

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think OP is heading for a problem.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 AM

R/C Modeling sites mention cyano debonders like ZAP Z-7. Apparently, the main use is for unsticking you from some object. Acetone is supposed to work too, if that is the best you can get.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-10-2021, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think OP is heading for a problem.
That is the problem.... I don't think it's working correctly. But I agree, it's not sounding like an easy fix.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
R/C Modeling sites mention cyano debonders like ZAP Z-7. Apparently, the main use is for unsticking you from some object. Acetone is supposed to work too, if that is the best you can get.
Thanks - I'll look into that.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:02 PM

Reckon I'd pry it off with a thin flexible blade like a palette knife.

Dissolving the glue is likely to be slow going and working with solvents in that position inside a guitar is a prospect I wouldn't entertain.

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair