The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-28-2021, 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I’ll go as basic as can be H1N maybe.
I’m so gun shy of these things being beyond my commitment to learn recording. My desire is to be a better guitar player so easy is maybe best to start and upgrade from their as I see the need.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:18 PM

While we are on the subject...

What about something like Boss BR-80?
Perhaps not quite as portable as the "recording shavers".

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-29-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
While we are on the subject...

What about something like Boss BR-80?
Perhaps not quite as portable as the "recording shavers".

That could be an option, although as a long-time Zoom R series user (I own and use a Zoom R-24) I'd opt to spend an extra $30 and get a Zoom R-8. The lack of XLR inputs would be enough to dissuade me from purchasing the BR-80.

It's larger, but that can be a good thing for us "older" users.

If the user doesn't want to do multi-track recording and simply wants a quick way to capture simple recordings then the simple "point and shoot" type of recorder (DR-05, H1n, etc.) are much better options than a recorder that has many features that aren't going to be used.

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-29-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:33 AM

Simplicity is certainly good, in my opinion.

I was thinking that many might like to record over a backing track or add another track to some previous recording. Then, the simplest recording devices might not be quite as .... simple to use.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-29-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Simplicity is certainly good, in my opinion.

I was thinking that many might like to record over a backing track or add another track to some previous recording. Then, the simplest recording devices might not be quite as .... simple to use.
The Tascam DR-05 has an overdub mode to add a second part on top of a previous recording. It wouldn't be something I'd chose to use, but it's OK if someone wants to play with "overdubbing".
Old 05-09-2021, 12:24 PM

I ordered the Zoom H1N today. I found it on sale at B&H Photo in a gray color for 89.99 until midnight tonight 5/9. I’m not familiar with this company so I called Musicans Friend and they matched the price, it will be black instead of gray but I think that’s my preference anyway.
It is supposed to arrive Wednesday but I’ve got to be out of town until Thursday but I’m looking forward to using this tool to see how I can improve.
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I ordered the Zoom H1N today. I found it on sale at B&H Photo in a gray color for 89.99 until midnight tonight 5/9. I’m not familiar with this company so I called Musicans Friend and they matched the price, it will be black instead of gray but I think that’s my preference anyway.
It is supposed to arrive Wednesday but I’ve got to be out of town until Thursday but I’m looking forward to using this tool to see how I can improve.
Sweetwater price matches in most cases and gives you an additional year warranty on most items. They repaired my $500 Zoom R24 after I had it for a year and a half. They saved me from it turning into an expensive paperweight.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:04 PM

Not exactly "hand-held" but I really like the Tascam DP-004. It's discontinued now but they're available at good prices on eBay.

My Spotify Artist Page
Old 05-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Hi jsc

For the future (and general information) B&H is one of the largest-if not THE largest - (most respected) photo and sound dealer in the country. They supply hundreds of thousands of customers all over the country/world.

The film industry orders industrial grade equipment (both photo and sound) and a trip to their facility is like going to SweetWater music's only store (in Indiana) only in wrapped in a 1990s wrapper.

Great record for service, and reliability. They are in NY city.

My H1n is my most used small recorder when traveling, although my H4n is what I use for recording higher quality sound with studio mics.

I always have 2-3 tripods (small, medium, large) in my gear so I pop the H1n on a tripod for recording. Faster and more adjustable than mic stands.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD