The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Source for spare sides?

Any thoughts on where I might pick up some spare sides so that I can still use the orphaned Bubinga back that I have.

Doesn't necessarily have to be bubinga. There are a few sets on ebay, but I can almost buy a whole set from the same vendor for just the cost of the sides.

I know that LMI sells practice sets and spare EIR ones. But, while I'd be open to using something other than bubinga, I'd prefer they at least match each other. And, again, for what they want for spare EIR sides, I could pretty much get a whole set elsewhere.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I suppose my bandsaw might be decent enough to roughcut a 4" board... might need a better blade and taller fence though.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Give Chris at LMI a call. I recently bought a set of mahogany sides from them. Sent a photo of what I was trying to match and got a very close set at a good price.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:53 PM

Road trip anyone? Would love to go through their selection. Bought a number of sets from them, more than accommodating. They could probably round up something.

https://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/

RC Tonewoods and Sons
109 Military Rd Kenmore, NY 14217
Old 05-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

LMI doesn’t have a store front that you can select parts from. Chris will try to match what you need if you send a good photo.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Road trip anyone? Would love to go through their selection. Bought a number of sets from them, more than accommodating. They could probably round up something.

RC Tonewoods and Sons
Doable, but 6 hours round trip is a bit much for some sides. I've bought a few things from them on eBay, hadn't made it to their website yet though.

(Call me Dan)

Last edited by warfrat73; 05-07-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Doable, but 6 hours round trip is a bit much for some sides. I've bought a few things from them on eBay, hadn't made it to their website yet though.
Wasn't serious about driving, but if you did a couple more back and side sets might make the trip worthwhile. Just kidding again. Just thought shipping would be cheaper and they were good to work with.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:03 PM

You might find one or more local exotic hardwood lumber stores in your vicinity. They might have pre-cut guitar sides or be willing to cut some for you. Depends upon what they carry and what capabilities they have.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post

RC Tonewoods and Sons
Yes, call Pete at RC, you may have to leave a message but he'll get back to you quickly. There is a good chance he will have some extra sides.
1-716-874-1498 weekdays 9-3 eastern time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair