The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-19-2021, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Cascade Fathead Ribbon mic demo

I recently picked up a Cascade Fathead ribbon mic and thought folks might be interested in this demo.

I wanted to experiment with a ribbon mic, mostly for my guitar amp, but not spend a ton of cash right now. I figured I might as well try it on acoustic guitar too. For the mono part I probably could have backed it up a few more inches, it has a heavy proximity effect. I'm pretty happy with how the stereo recording came out.

Also, talking on video is hard. As someone that consumes alot of YT videos of varying topics I have so much respect for how carefree and conversational some folks sound. I am going to have to work on that. Next time I'll probably put together a script so I don't have to think about what I am saying. I'd like to do some gear demos, or maybe some small guitar instruction videos.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:05 AM

Nice demonstration.

I agreed that the mono setup emphasized the bass and low midrange. I could hear the ribbon character but it was overshadowed by the 'chuffy' sound.

But the stereo setup was quite nice - present, balanced and smooth, with controlled bass. Night and day difference to me.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Nice demo, Anton. Usually you have to EQ ribbons quite a bit for guitar - a bit of high end shelf, some low end rolloff. You might also try the Fathead as the side mic in MS. You should get some of the smoothness of the mic without the tendency to pull to one side that you get with mismatched spaced pairs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD