The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I currently use an office style chair similar with adjustable heigh. It's on casters. Should I get the Sound Seat with or without casters?
My black one with ring and flat footings stays in the living room where our piano is and is always on an area rug. I think if you have wood floors where you play, you might want the rollers instead. Rollers aren’t really good for carpets.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I've had one for many years, and with a Back-Joy added, it has been my desk (and playing of course) chair all that time. Mine's on castors with the ring and the retractable foot support (hardly ever use that).
Old 04-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I currently use an office style chair similar with adjustable heigh. It's on casters. Should I get the Sound Seat with or without casters?

I have the casters and really like that option. I guess it depends on your situation and flooring. I like the easy mobility of rolling from my desk over to my music stand when I am working on a song.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jim (llew)

I have 2, and neither has casters. I want it to stay put, not roll around.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-19-2021, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jim (llew)

I should explain why no casters. I wanted an option which would allow me to have both feet flat on the floor while I play. So many classical players have lower back issues later in life, and it's being associated with footstools.

So I wanted no rings, casters, or other things to interfere with my feet being flat on the floor when I play.

So my SoundSeat for guitar is the shortest hydraulic they have, and my one for the computer center (on a breakfast bar in the kitchen) is the tallest they make, and it does have a ring for feet.

Neither have casters, because of the drift factor.

The SoundSeat was the best thing for my legs, back etc. as at the time I bought it I was teaching 4-6 1½ hour lessons a week (advanced players). In addition I had a couple rehearsals, and my own practice times, and my normal intermediate students (60 minute lessons).

I maintained that type schedule for nearly a decade, and now that I've been retired for nearly 8 years, the seat still serves me well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yep. Back and butt pain were the limiters for my guitar sessions before I got a SoundSeat eighteen years ago. You see, I'm from a genetic line that doesn't come equipped with any butt padding. My pain ended with the SoundSeat. This is a recent shot:

I'm 5'10" with short legs. I've got the short piston, mid back, foot ring, footrest, and no casters. I play with my feet on the floor and the chair stays put. My wife liked mine so well she ordered the same rig with no foot ring and or support and with casters to use at her craft table.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:24 PM

I have two: one downstairs in a music room; the other upstairs at one of the tables in my office. I ordered both with casters and glides so I might have the option. (The extras were pretty inexpensive.) If you are as often inattentive as I am when I grab a guitar and sit, you should be careful of the casters. On the hardwood floor in the office they roll without a lot of impetus; and the chair can start rolling away from you pretty quickly.

I'm still often playing on the couch, but once the lower back starts complaining I go back to a SoundSeat and the back pretty quickly starts behaving.

So, I think they're terrific. I as well initially had the pitch forward issue, but I also just slid the seat back backwards a bit and it no longer became a problem.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I own one and although I see it as a nice chair, I honestly am not as enamoured with it as others seem to be. I have had constant issues with the back rest not staying in position. I can tighten it as tight as possible and it still slips down over time. I also made the mistake of ordering mine with wheels. I wish I had bought the glides instead.

Overall, it's not a bad chair. I have had others that work as well and are as comfortable but less expensive. Chairs being a personal preference, obviously there are those who will like it more than others.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

If you're on the fence about the casters I believe during the order Bretta can include both for an additional $15.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I own one and although I see it as a nice chair, I honestly am not as enamoured with it as others seem to be. I have had constant issues with the back rest not staying in position. I can tighten it as tight as possible and it still slips down over time. I also made the mistake of ordering mine with wheels. I wish I had bought the glides instead.

Overall, it's not a bad chair. I have had others that work as well and are as comfortable but less expensive. Chairs being a personal preference, obviously there are those who will like it more than others.
You can order a set of glides from them. I got both with mine and currently have the wheels. I can't seem to find the glides as I'd prefer to switch at the moment.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Its a bit painful on the wallet, but like our guitars, fancy picks, custom leather straps, etc...well worth it over the long haul in terms of comfort and enjoyment.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-19-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I received my soundseat about a month ago. Bretta suggested a couple of changes to my order (color and lift size) and she was spot on.

Looking at the reviews and comments prior, it was and is exactly what I expected. Much more comfortable than the kitchen chair i was using. Mine sits on a pretty thick oriental rug so I got the casters. And the ring and the footplate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210403_190018.jpg (47.7 KB, 86 views)

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 04-19-2021, 04:28 PM

I bought 2 Sound Seats back in 2005 and I think they're great seats. I didn't live too far from JR so I drove over and picked them up. JR made a couple of recommendations and adjustments to my seats then he treated me to some BBQ before I drove home. Great product, great people.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:07 PM

Where do I order
Old 04-19-2021, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Don't have one, never heard of them.

Read this thread, now I gotta have one.

Thanks a lot, Jim....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion