The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-12-2020, 05:32 PM

Default Pre NGD

Well fellas,

I recently bought a PRS electric as some of you may remember. It would seem that this guitar is likely to take well into next year to be delivered given the back queue demand that PRS has for their American made units, and the production problems/delays that have been created by this Covid 19 fiasco.

Before pulling the trigger on this PRS I had been looking at a Strat type Godin that really appealed to me. In the end I moved away from it and purchased the MCCarty 594 instead, with the idea that I would eventually pick up a Strat later.

Well, with the delays on the PRS I decided to check on the availability of that Godin, and I’m able to get a factory fresh one delivered to me by next week. I would have picked it, or one similar, up down the line anyway, so I decided to snap it up right now and enjoy it over the next 6-8 months while I wait for the 594.

Here’s the guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qlUcgq2MFg

Now I just need to figure out what to do for an amp.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-12-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Well fellas,

I recently bought a PRS electric as some of you may remember. It would seem that this guitar is likely to take well into next year to be delivered given the back queue demand that PRS has for their American made units, and the production problems/delays that have been created by this Covid 19 fiasco.

Before pulling the trigger on this PRS I had been looking at a Strat type Godin that really appealed to me. In the end I moved away from it and purchased the MCCarty 594 instead, with the idea that I would eventually pick up a Strat later.

Well, with the delays on the PRS I decided to check on the availability of that Godin, and I’m able to get a factory fresh one delivered to me by next week. I would have picked it, or one similar, up down the line anyway, so I decided to snap it up right now and enjoy it over the next 6-8 months while I wait for the 594.

Here’s the guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qlUcgq2MFg

Now I just need to figure out what to do for an amp.
I watched that video and I though it sounded really nice. It's very modern sounding with those LACE hot rail pickups. It sounded good both clean, and dirty. It also has a swamp ash body which I think is nice. Also, I like that they have it setup as a two knob.

If I was looking for a new Strat type I would definately check out the Godin as my close friend raves about his Godin Core guitars (he has one with P90s, the other with humbuckers).

Another Strat type guitar is The G&L Legacy which has their PTB tone circuit which I absolutely love! And I saw that Sweetwater has a killer deal on them at $1399!!!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-12-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
...Now I just need to figure out what to do for an amp.

https://www.bugera-amps.com/product....odelCode=P0B03
Old 08-12-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I watched that video and I though it sounded really nice. It's very modern sounding with those LACE hot rail pickups. It sounded good both clean, and dirty. It also has a swamp ash body which I think is nice. Also, I like that they have it setup as a two knob.

If I was looking for a new Strat type I would definately check out the Godin as my close friend raves about his Godin Core guitars (he has one with P90s, the other with humbuckers).

Another Strat type guitar is The G&L Legacy which has their PTB tone circuit which I absolutely love! And I saw that Sweetwater has a killer deal on them at $1399!!!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have a colleague at work that has to have 20 or so electrics...He’s got some crazy expensive ones, and he often tells me his Godins are some of his favourites.

These things seems to come pretty nicely appointed. I was shocked to see Gotoh 510s on a guitar this reasonably priced. That I quite like. I do like that they are Canadian made as well. Nice bonus.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Like the price. Right in around what I was hoping to spend. Do you own this amp?

I’m heavily considering a Boss Katana Artist Mark 2, but I’m not totally sure yet.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I guess one of my concerns would be, how good is that amp at bedroom volumes?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-12-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I guess one of my concerns would be, how good is that amp at bedroom volumes?
You could sustain hearing loss for sure! 22 watt amps are pretty loud for home use.

There is also a V5 that is great for home practice.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-12-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I have a colleague at work that has to have 20 or so electrics...He’s got some crazy expensive ones, and he often tells me his Godins are some of his favourites.

These things seems to come pretty nicely appointed. I was shocked to see Gotoh 510s on a guitar this reasonably priced. That I quite like. I do like that they are Canadian made as well. Nice bonus.
My friend who has the Godins also has about that many really good guitars, and he really likes the Core models!

I have the luxury version of 510 tuners (engraved and 21:1 ratio) on three Zemaitis guitars, and I LOVE them. Not only do they look great, and are made to extremely high quality standards, they are the best working tuners I have ever had on any of my guitars, except for maybe, the original Gibson Kluson Sealfast tuners on my Gibson L5s guitars.

Gotoh Luxury Version of the 510...

Gibson Kluson Sealfast
Old 08-12-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
My friend who has the Godins also has about that many really good guitars, and he really likes the Core models!

I have the luxury version of 510 tuners (engraved and 21:1 ratio) on three Zemaitis guitars, and I LOVE them. Not only do they look great, and are made to extremely high quality standards, they are the best working tuners I have ever had on any of my guitars, except for maybe, the original Gibson Kluson Sealfast tuners on my Gibson L5s guitars.

Gotoh Luxury Version of the 510...

Gibson Kluson Sealfast
I hear ya, I absolutely adore 510s. My LL56 Yamaha is also equipped with them. Fantastic. I really look for them on guitars whenever possible.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
You could sustain hearing loss for sure! 22 watt amps are pretty loud for home use.

There is also a V5 that is great for home practice.
Yeah, I figured. I want some oomph for when I occasionally can stretch my legs a bit, and the conditions are right, but the emphasis must be on something I can run low and/or headphone as required. That’s why I like something like the Boss Artist. We’ll see I guess.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Like the price. Right in around what I was hoping to spend. Do you own this amp?

I’m heavily considering a Boss Katana Artist Mark 2, but I’m not totally sure yet.
Couple thoughts first Despite the advertising claims there is a difference in sound and feel between a Solid state amp and a tube amp (like the Bugera )
Not a matter of "better" or "worse" per se. (which is totally subjective) but "different" .So there is that to consider

Also IMO I personally think it is a myth (or nostalgia for classic rock tone) that a tube amp has to be driven to "breakup" to sound "good",,,, again totally subjective.

IMO There is no more reason to think that a SS amp played at low volume is going to sound "better" than a tube amp played at low volume. Now that said if a silent speaker /headphone option is "required", then that is another and separate consideration altogether, an arguably more solid state amps offer this Headphone option and at a lower overall price point.

But this Bugera 20 watt head offers it (HP out) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-a-tube-headand would definitely be my selection for a one amp do it all. And personally I prefer a Head and cabinet with lighter weight pieces to transport and greater flexibility of Cab and speaker choice

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-13-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Couple thoughts first Despite the advertising claims there is a difference in sound and feel between a Solid state amp and a tube amp (like the Bugera )
Not a matter of "better" or "worse" per se. (which is totally subjective) but "different" .So there is that to consider

Also IMO I personally think it is a myth (or nostalgia for classic rock tone) that a tube amp has to be driven to "breakup" to sound "good",,,, again totally subjective.

IMO There is no more reason to think that a SS amp played at low volume is going to sound "better" than a tube amp played at low volume. Now that said if a silent speaker /headphone option is "required", then that is another and separate consideration altogether, an arguably more solid state amps offer this Headphone option and at a lower overall price point.

But this Bugera 20 watt head offers it (HP out) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-a-tube-headand would definitely be my selection for a one amp do it all. And personally I prefer a Head and cabinet with lighter weight pieces to transport and greater flexibility of Cab and speaker choice
It’s really interesting to hear your opinion on this. This definitely goes counter to most things that I’ve read. and what has been suggested by others to me. Appreciate your thoughts. I’m sure it greatly varies tube amp to tube amp as well...I would think...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-13-2020, 12:34 PM

I have tube amps, but for quiet noodling I go solid state because I can get saturated distortion at a very low volume.

My go-to amps are a Roland Cube 40 or a Peavey TransTube Bandit.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM

Looks like a fantastic guitar and some great gainy tones too.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Looks like a fantastic guitar and some great gainy tones too.
Thanks Dru. I’m pretty pumped. Me likey ;-0

I’m sure some wouldn’t touch this guitar given that you can get a pretty nice Fender for similar cash, but I see a value proposition here myself. The tuners being Gotoh 510, I like the pickups, love the vibe/look/finish, like the Made in Canada thing, swamp ash, chambered body, etc...

Also like the delivery time frame ;-0

It would have been nice if it had shipped with a hard case, but it doesn’t. I bought the hard case for it as well.

Still going back and forth over the amp. I think it will be solid state. Not saying I wouldn’t pick up a tube at some point, but for the first go at things I think I’m leaning SS.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars