The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Need help with some basic measurements of Les Paul body

Hello all you fine electric folks.
I need basic measurements of a Les Paul for total length, body length, width at lower bout, depth at deepest part, probably being at the bridge, include bridge components for full depth.

Thanks so much, it's for a special case and I need to make sure fit will work.

Thanks again
d
Old 08-08-2020, 05:05 PM

Hey Daryl - I'm going to get my Les Paul Standard and tape measure now and get back to you in 5 minutes. Note that measurements can be off by 1/4" due to guitar contours.

Les Paul Standard:
Total Length: 39.25" (includes the bottom strap button)
Lower bout width: 13"
Depth of body (without hardware): 2.25" (this may be thinner for Studios. Also, difficult to measure due to curve of the maple cap)
Depth of body (including bridge/tail piece): 3.5" (note that the bridge and tail piece can be raised higher).
Note: when the Les Paul is lying flat on a surface, the headstock is on an angle so it lifts the body up slightly. The distance from the flat surface to the top of the fretboard where the neck joins the body is 3.25". The body does not lie flat on the surface either due to this tilt. You need to account for the tilt of the headstock when designing the case.

This was a lot more difficult that I though it would be!

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 08-08-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Dru, and you nailed it!

I posted this thread in a hurry and I meant to request the arch top versions and not studio-check.
And I meant to request the depth from the nut with it laying flat due to the Gibson headstock angle-check.

Thank you so much, you gave me exactly what I needed to know.
d
Old 08-09-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Thank you Dru, and you nailed it!

I posted this thread in a hurry and I meant to request the arch top versions and not studio-check.
And I meant to request the depth from the nut with it laying flat due to the Gibson headstock angle-check.

Thank you so much, you gave me exactly what I needed to know.
d
No problem, Daryl. The Standard has a thicker maple cap than the Studio so it does have a little more depth, I think around 1/8", even though both have the carved top. Also the Tributes may also be a little thinner. Regardless, the Studio/Standard fit in the same case.

Any chance you can get your hands on a Les Paul to measure it? Or the case? My measurements are close but not exact.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars