The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-07-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default A little Rickenbacker love...

I bought this Rickenbacker in 2001.

It's a 650 series, Dakota model - aka 650D, at the time the least expensive guitar in Rickenbacker's lineup, at a princely $699.

It's the finest electric guitar I've ever owned (and there have been a few) - and I've been reminded of that today.

For the last couple of months, a dear friend of mine who's hunkered down in Manhattan, and I, relatively newly retired in Minnesota, have been grappling with JamKazam to be able to collaborate musically over the 1000 mile gap.

We've been pretty successful so far - but today, I pulled the Rickenbacker out of its case and added it to the mix. I was reminded, instantly, of just exactly how much I love this guitar, the way it plays, and the way it sounds.

I'm down to 2 electrics and 3 acoustics. This one is going nowhere.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And it's purdy, too.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:26 PM

Wow, that is nice. I’m sure it sounds as good as it looks.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-07-2020, 07:44 PM

Very under-rated brand. I had a 324c for awhile and it was the most well-made electric I've owned.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:03 PM

That's a beauty!!

How would you describe the sound? (as opposed to the "normal" 330/360-type Ric tones?..)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:21 PM

Highly idiosyncratic - and the narrow "U" neck and mandolin-width frets violate every principle of AGF orthodoxy - but exceptionally well-built instruments with a tone/visual vibe which, like Gretsch, is very much sui generis and a love-it/hate-it affair for many; FYI I've got a mid-80's 360/6 set up with flatwound 13's - lowest action of any electric I own with nary a buzz, and my wife's favorite rhythm guitar...
Old 08-08-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
That's a beauty!!

How would you describe the sound? (as opposed to the "normal" 330/360-type Ric tones?..)
Thank you! The Rickenbacker HB1 humbuckers are lovely. They have some of that glorious Rickenbacker ‘chime’, but also enough body to produce a juicy fat solo sound. I was playing it in the company of a 335 yesterday, and the combination was delightful - a little slap back and tremolo, and I was happily in Tele territory on the bridge pickup, and a more overdriven sound with a slide was all Cooder-greasy on the neck pickup. Just great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Highly idiosyncratic - and the narrow "U" neck and mandolin-width frets violate every principle of AGF orthodoxy - but exceptionally well-built instruments with a tone/visual vibe which, like Gretsch, is very much sui generis and a love-it/hate-it affair for many; FYI I've got a mid-80's 360/6 set up with flatwound 13's - lowest action of any electric I own with nary a buzz, and my wife's favorite rhythm guitar...
This particular model doesn’t quite follow that pattern, Steve. It has a 1 3/4” nut and perfectly ‘normal’ frets, so it feels rather different from the more common and recognizable 330/360 models. I had a 330/12 for a few years, and it fit your description rather better. Neck shapes on the 330/360s have been all over the place across the decades, so, if you can afford to, you can find something to suit most tastes just by exploring the variations over time.

Rickenbacker is also unusual in that they are one of the very few American makers who still produce everything here in the USA. They’ve never considered going off-shore to increase market share - they have more orders than they can handle as it is - and they fiercely protect their brand, trademarks and copyright. That’s why you see so few clones; those that do get through (on eBay and the like) get shut down pretty quickly.
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-08-2020, 10:36 AM

That is indeed a beauty. I've always loved the 6-series Rics, and it's very rare to see one being played live anywhere. I was in a Beatles cover band for many years, and I played a Ric 330 for that gig - I still have it, and love it.
It's nice to fall in love again with an old flame - enjoy.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
...Rickenbacker is also unusual in that they are one of the very few American makers who still produce everything here in the USA. They’ve never considered going off-shore to increase market share - they have more orders than they can handle as it is - and they fiercely protect their brand, trademarks and copyright. That’s why you see so few clones; those that do get through (on eBay and the like) get shut down pretty quickly.
One of the reasons I've always held them in high regard, but the realities of the market may dictate otherwise in the not-too-distant future; not to worry, though - if they can do what Gretsch did with their 5400/5600-Series Electromatics, having ~$1K instruments produced offshore (in this case Korea) with classic visual/tonal elements and a standard of quality/playability rarely equaled at any price, they can not only effectively shut down the forgery market but offer an accessible alternative in what many consider a niche instrument. While I love the sound/feel/vibe of a 360/12 I can't justify the well-over-$2K pride of admission for something that's not going to see regular use; on the other hand, a $1K Electro (to resurrect a name from Rick's past, formerly used on entry-level guitars) could well find its way into my collection...
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Very Nice, boasts all "American farm grown woods" (walnut & maple) and thru the body neck .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very Nice, boasts all "American farm grown woods" (walnut & maple) and thru the body neck .
Indeed. It’s a lovely object - with its oil finish it feels very organic, and almost soft to the touch.

The gold pick guard is not original - standard issue on the 650D was chrome. I found that way too ostentatious for my church gig at the time, especially when I realized I was dazzling congregation members in the front rows
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you! The Rickenbacker HB1 humbuckers are lovely. They have some of that glorious Rickenbacker ‘chime’, but also enough body to produce a juicy fat solo sound. I was playing it in the company of a 335 yesterday, and the combination was delightful - a little slap back and tremolo, and I was happily in Tele territory on the bridge pickup, and a more overdriven sound with a slide was all Cooder-greasy on the neck pickup. Just great
Thanks for that info on the HB1 pickups on the 650D. I always wondered how these sounded..

I have a 360/6 and 360/12, but have never actually played (nor heard) one of the 650 Series Rickenbackers.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I bought this Rickenbacker in 2001.

It's a 650 series, Dakota model - aka 650D, at the time the least expensive guitar in Rickenbacker's lineup, at a princely $699.

It's the finest electric guitar I've ever owned (and there have been a few) - and I've been reminded of that today.

For the last couple of months, a dear friend of mine who's hunkered down in Manhattan, and I, relatively newly retired in Minnesota, have been grappling with JamKazam to be able to collaborate musically over the 1000 mile gap.

We've been pretty successful so far - but today, I pulled the Rickenbacker out of its case and added it to the mix. I was reminded, instantly, of just exactly how much I love this guitar, the way it plays, and the way it sounds.

I'm down to 2 electrics and 3 acoustics. This one is going nowhere.

I still kick myself for not buying one of those when they were available. They reputedly address my biggest issue with Rics - the extremely cramped fretboard.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Thanks for that info on the HB1 pickups on the 650D. I always wondered how these sounded..

I have a 360/6 and 360/12, but have never actually played (nor heard) one of the 650 Series Rickenbackers.
Lovely pair of 360s
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Lovely pair of 360s
Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars