The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Default Quarantine Boredom mods: Left handed tele bridge on a right handed tele.

Well, technically an ASAT Classic, but the idea is the same. I just went to the G&L website, and yes, they do sell them...

Anyone done it?
Old 08-05-2020, 09:11 PM

John Page guitars does something like this on a Tele and a Strat like model too: reverse slant the lead pickup from the original Fender alignment.

I've never done this on a Tele. I have a Fender "reverse" Stratocaster, which is sort of a non-Jim Hendrix estate co-branded model which reverse-slants the bridge pickup (and has an "upside-down" neck too). This gives some of the impression and effect of Hendrix's flipped over RH Strat played lefty, without the horrible ergonomics that a real flipped Strat has.* I think it's pretty cool. Yes, there's some change to the bridge pickup sound from this arrangement if you listen for it and clean, isolated, context.

*I've done that too: played a LH Strat flipped over so I could experience what Jimi did. I found it exceptionally awkward. Remembering that, I'm still amazed at how fluid and natural Hendrix looked playing a flipped over Stratocaster. Of course just using a LH bridge and pickup slant avoids this factor. Some Fender pickups have flat magnet poles and are essentially "unidirectional," but some others have staggered poles that might act differently when under different strings than they were intended for.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Thanks FrankHudson. I'm going to go look for sound samples of those Page guitars. I'm thinking that playing clean, with ligther strings than I normally use (9s), I should hear a differnece on the top strings.

Now I just have to decide if this experiment is worth $70. It's more than fair as it comes with the Saddles, but $30 for just the plate would make the deicision easier.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Well, technically an ASAT Classic, but the idea is the same. I just went to the G&L website, and yes, they do sell them...

Anyone done it?
Blue,
I thought of this many years ago, basically to fatten the skinnies and twang the fatties, but I never got around to it.

Leo meant well.

Howard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars