The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Default New Amp Day: Morgan's JS12 is a Revelation

Ok. This is thirty minutes in, so more to come later.

Holy mackerel! Yep, this is absolutely the tone I had in my head that I believed was possible to experience with an electric guitar. During the pandemic I've starting really getting into electric, particularly blues. But every time I picked it up I felt like I was fighting my Fender Blues Junior too much to get any sort of rich, lush tone. It sounded inherently thin to me. I looked at all the advice columns and I was hitting the limit so quickly.

I have been truly inspired by the acoustics I've spent time on and was totally blown away moving from a Larrivee to a Northwood. My 00 12-fret feels and sounds amazing every time I picked it up and I wasn't getting that with my electric. I knew it wasn't the guitar - I spent a ton of time doing my research getting to the Heritage 535. Even acoustically the guitar sounds amazing. I didn't know anything about amps when I started, didn't have a ton of money, and needed to take one step at a time. So the Blues Junior it was.

I recently came to the AGF for advice looking for a pro level amp with great tone that I could grow with. I got a ton of great insight. THANK YOU AGF!

Again, more than anything I was looking for tone. Holy cow! Holy mackerel! Holy spirit emanating from an amplifier! The tone is so lush. It is truly on another planet and I feel like I'm playing a different instrument. There's so much room for the pedals. Instead of fighting, it feels nearly effortless, and I get to focus on becoming a better player and enjoy the sound and feel I experience every day while doing it.

One aspect of this amp that is going to push me in particular is how touch sensitive it is. As I grow as a player, I know there is so much more room for this to go. When I've screwed up, even just now, it lets me know, so I've got to earn it.

Ok, back to playing. I'll have more to offer in a few days, but I wanted to get this off to the forum as a big thank you for helping me get to the tone I had in my head so quickly.

Happy picking,
JakeIMG-20200802-WA0000.jpg
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Jake - Congrats! I followed your amp thread and I'm happy that you found the one. The next thing you'll be looking at in this electric world is "I wonder what this guitar and amp will sound like with other pickups" .
Old 08-02-2020, 05:15 PM

A pic of the happy couple. Man, this new amp is so much more fun than I was expecting, even with some seriously built up anticipation. 20200802_190500.jpg
Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab.phila View Post
Holy mackerel!
Can't say your reaction is a big surprise! Congrats... that setup you have will likely keep you busy for quite a while!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Morgan makes fantastic amps. So glad you're enjoying yours.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

How would one of these compare to a Princeton Reverb, say one of the newer models like the Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp? Build quality should obviously be better, but what about sound and sensitivity?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-03-2020, 01:35 PM

That is how Morgan talks about the PR12 and JS12, as Princeton upgrades.

I can't make a direct comparison not having played a Princeton, but I just A/B'd the new Morgan with my Blues Junior for my wife, and her immediate response was, "Whoa. I thought an amp was just an amp. Clearly I was wrong."

This thing is on a whole different plane of existence, similar to my experience comparing solid-wood handmade acoustics to laminate factory acoustics.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad you found an amp that satisfies and thrills you! The interaction between guitar and amplifier is THE thing with electric guitars, for every type of music except maybe jazz...

When I read your other thread about wanting a "Pro" level amp, I didn't htink you had a clue about what you really wanted/needed... but it sure sounds like you found a great little amp!

Enjoy discovering what those two will do together...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab.phila View Post
That is how Morgan talks about the PR12 and JS12, as Princeton upgrades.

I can't make a direct comparison not having played a Princeton, but I just A/B'd the new Morgan with my Blues Junior for my wife, and her immediate response was, "Whoa. I thought an amp was just an amp. Clearly I was wrong."

This thing is on a whole different plane of existence, similar to my experience comparing solid-wood handmade acoustics to laminate factory acoustics.
When the spouse likes your gear you know you made the right choice!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I'm glad you found an amp that satisfies and thrills you! The interaction between guitar and amplifier is THE thing with electric guitars, for every type of music except maybe jazz...

When I read your other thread about wanting a "Pro" level amp, I didn't htink you had a clue about what you really wanted/needed... but it sure sounds like you found a great little amp!

Enjoy discovering what those two will do together...
I seriously didn't have any idea. I was very clear about the tone I was looking for, but I had NO CLUE which amp would give it to me. I really don't like switching gear a lot, don't have a ton of time to shop, and find I risk losing money buying and selling a lot.

Once I started getting the feedback from the forum, I was able to hone in. I am a big Josh Smith fan and once I started digging into Morgan, which I'd never heard of before these series of posts, things started opening up for me.

I am a pretty quick study, but sometimes its rough even knowing where to start. These threads have been amazingly helpful. This amp will get me through for a long time.

And yes, getting the spousal seal of approval is a BIG deal.

Jake
Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM

Great choice on that Morgan. Congrats and play it then play it some more!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, great amp ,,, play it loud and long

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-04-2020, 09:53 PM

Not too much more to add or subtract from my initial reaction on Sunday. The only thing that truly stands out to me is that I previously had no idea how hauntingly beautiful really well executed reverb can sound in an amp. The dwell switch takes it to another level. Gives me chills.

Again, thank you so much AGF for supporting me on this journey. I'm very grateful.

Jake

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars