The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Default "Repeater" pedal?

Hey all, I am curious if there is some sort of pedal that that can quickly repeat a single note over and over? Something that would get the sort of effect like the bass line in this Sister Machine Gun song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvioMeDuofo

The bass part starts at about 16 seconds in.

I want to find something that I could use with a keyboard to create that effect, where I could hold down a key and it repeats.

Maybe there is no such thing, but figured this would be the place to ask!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Electro-Harmonix Canyon has a sample and hold setting that does that. You have to play around with parameters to have that note held, as the trigger to release it can be adjusted.
https://youtu.be/V79LCmEf804
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Are you looking to play pre-recorded things, or create things live in real time?
Old 08-01-2020, 07:51 PM

Thanks! That is pretty close to what I am looking for. Is a delay generally something that would provide that sort of effect?
Old 08-01-2020, 07:53 PM

Blue, looking to do real time. Like play a bassline of single notes on a keyboard, but be able to set the speed they repeat at.

I know if I had a USB keyboard controller I could probably do it easily with an audio program, but I have an old Kawai synth that I would like to use in real time to play parts.

Hopefully this makes sense!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
Thanks! That is pretty close to what I am looking for. Is a delay generally something that would provide that sort of effect?
As the guy in the YT mentioned, not many pedals do it. I had a Boss GT-8 that did it too. I imagine the Boss GT-1000 does it, but it's $1000.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
Blue, looking to do real time. Like play a bassline of single notes on a keyboard, but be able to set the speed they repeat at.

I know if I had a USB keyboard controller I could probably do it easily with an audio program, but I have an old Kawai synth that I would like to use in real time to play parts.

Hopefully this makes sense!
It does completely. You'd be surprised how inexpensive midi keyboard controllers are these days if you haven't shopped for one. $120 for an entry level one.

YamahaGuy is dead on with his recommendation on that pedal. You combine that with a looper? limitless possibilities. But Loopers are like Wah Wah pedals. If you don't invest the time to master them, they are very expensive paperweights!

I suck with my looper. At this point I could NEVER use it live
Old 08-02-2020, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the input so far. Will explore some options, but probably not the $1000 one!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:04 PM

Just thought I would share I had someone else tell me to look for an arpeggiator pedal or device. Not many out there but there are some.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 AM

Default Gated Flanger

That sounds like something I want to get my hands on again. Boss years back had small half rack effects. I think mine was called Se-150. There was a “gated flanger” that did that. Play a single note or chord, let it ring out, and the gate adjustment would chop it into a pulsing even pattern. In my Helix I can do something similar in one of the tremolo effects. I recall somewhere else a tremolo effect. Maybe the closest I found was in a Zoom pedal that had an analog flanger, but honestly that old Boss unit did it best. Pink Floyd had a couple songs that used something like that. Unless you actually played through something like that the average musician would assume it’s a delay, but delays do not have that pulsing effect.

EHX also has a large elaborate tremolo pedal that one of their guys demonstrated for me at NAMM 2015 that sounded similar.

So look for a multi effect with a “gated” flanger, tremolo, or even a “slicer” effect. I’ve also seen “beat chop” that does different rhythm patterns, but sometimes those don’t make that hard driving pulse you likely are looking for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars