The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-29-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Classic Tele Tone

I'm considering a Fender Modern Player Telecaster. My question is, can you still get that classic tele tone out of it even though you have a humbucker in the bridge position instead of the traditional setup? Thanks.

Last edited by Mad Max; 07-30-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I guess it depends what you mean by classic tele tone, some people think of the 50s blackguard sound, others the late 50s or early 60s sound, etc. I think humbuckers sound great in the bridge of teles, but realistically if you want something that's going to sound like a tele you'll want a single coil (or a push pull mod with a humbucker that allows for a coil split).
Old 07-30-2020, 07:58 AM

A traditional single coil bridge pickup defines the sound of a Telecaster for most players/listeners. (Besides, a humbucker in the bridge of a Telecaster looks out of place and will be hard to sell if/when).

If you really set on wanting to try a humbucker, then I suggest putting it in the neck.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm considering a Fender Modern Player Telecaster. My question is, can you still get that classic tele tone out of it even though you have a humbucker in the bridge position instead of the traditional setup. Thanks.
IMHO, no..

it's my educated and wild arse'd guess that the single coil pickup, and that "plate" that surrounds it, is what gives it that "snap" that Tele's are famous for.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:45 AM

Can't get that classic cheeseburger taste with a turkey patty.

Not being dismissive, but in my experience throwing a Humbucker into the mix really knocks down some of that "funk" sound of the middle position, which I really dig for my Rhythm playing. Steve Cropper agreed. He says he always played middle position with the tone on "10".

One of my T-style guitars has a neck PAF style pickup. I love it. It's actually my #1. But My #2 is in classic format specifically for that middle position.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 AM

Not really.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM

Many on forums like to obsess with the miniate of differences in electric guitar sounds inherent in the guitar itself. I've owned several dozen electric guitars over the years, and loved Telecasters for decades.

I can go down that route easily of categorizing and mentally differentiating the various timbral variations.

Yet, I can tell you that on a recording, it may be difficult for even a knowledgeable person to tell what pickup is used. Add a lot of extras in the "electric" part of electric guitar and I'd think it's impossible. In a room, through a clean amp, it's easier, but not assured.

So, two poles here. One one hand there are plausibly discernable differences, and on the other hand they are not always important or even repeatable in some kind of blind test. Both are true in my experience.

If you want to sound like a Tele in the classic manner, and will be playing through a fairly clean amp, one of the traditional Telecaster bridge pickups is advisable. I even have a preference for the traditional three saddle brass barrel "ashtray" bridge. If on the other hand you like the sound of the bridge humbucker Tele you're considering, fine too. If you're seeking the former and can't audition the later, choose a Telecaster with a more traditional (single coil) pickup.

Just to add a personal note: have Telecasters with a range of neck pickups: the traditional metal covered single coil, a full-sized humbucker, a P90 type, a Firebird type mini humbucker. It's a nice platform for all of these different types in the neck position I think. So if you want some humbucker peanut butter in your Tele single-coil chocolate, that's a way to go.

I do have one traditional Tele with my favored bridge and saddles and a single coil sized humbucker in it. It actually sounds remarkably like a traditional Tele with a somewhat overwound pickup. Danny Gatton didn't sound un-Tele-like playing one of those either.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 07-30-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

I can go down that route easily of categorizing and mentally differentiating the various timbral variations.
The dirty little secret of electric guitars is that a 7 band EQ pedal can do a LOT to give you all kinds of different sounds from one guitar. A 10 band EQ? Things stand a good chance of gettin' out of hand! So much so that I'm down with a 7 band.

But, I need that middle tele. I don't care if it's 50's pickups, 70's pickups, boutique or budget. But for funky, Motown-y Rhythm tones, I need that classic tele middle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:44 PM

IMO no, no, no...
Old 07-30-2020, 04:24 PM

Our singer had one of those for a while. It was not traditional tele sounding at all to me. I'm a tele guy, but I didn't like it.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:02 PM

Okay well, thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking for that classic twangy country tone. So I might go with a MIM tele standard.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I'm considering a Fender Modern Player Telecaster. My question is, can you still get that classic tele tone out of it even though you have a humbucker in the bridge position instead of the traditional setup? Thanks.
I picked up a damaged "project" MP Tele a few years ago. Refinished the body and put a Guitarfetish Tele bridge pickup using an adapter plate. Also from GF. Sounds more like an old Tele plus you get Stratocaster sounds when the middle pickup is added in. I did rewire it using a standard 3 pos Tele switch and used the little toggle switch to add in the middle pickup when desired. It is a very good guitar for the money.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Okay well, thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking for that classic twangy country tone. So I might go with a MIM tele standard.
Hey Max, sounds like you have your response ... and I agree that the classic tele sound will be single coil. Humbuckers have its place but it sounds like that's not what you're looking for.

The new Fender Player tele should suit your needs.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Good pick. Plenty of good used MIMs out there. My advice would be to save on a used one, and use that money towards installing a 4-way switch to give you the option to use both pickups in series to give you a thicker humbucker sound.

Lot of good info on the TDPRI forum.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

As others have said, when you think of that good, twangy tele sound, single coils are necessary. But, there is more to it than just the pickups. I am a big fan of that classic tele country tone (like with Waylon Jennings, as an example). You can also get some serious twang out of a P90 guitar. A Jazzmaster can get really twangy. But, a tele just has that little extra something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars