The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-19-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
You're saying , a few miles from Hugo Helmer Music in Burlington, I assume ? Yes Charlie was great, next time your in there, tell him Kevin from Wyoming says hi and kudos. I asked him how business was during this Covid time, and he said it was actually pretty good (which is good to know, there have been far to many independent music stores go out of business )
Will do! Up in Bellingham 30 miles away. Hugo Helmer is the only real music store left in the area (I'm not counting the local GC). Occasionally I work down there and if its slow or between cases, its my primary hide out. They frequently have a few outstanding gits mainly yamaha, fender, martin, gibson and every year the Taylor road show makes a stop...dangerous times. Very accommodating; gladly will set you up with several gits in a private lesson room to do your shootout. A few years ago stumbled across a minty used neck through hard tail Carvin strat and they let me out the door like a criminal. They have a full time tech, so all the gits are pretty much set up fairly well and they will get it set up to your specs before walking out the door.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 07-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quick update
Weight appears to be 8 lbs so not light but manageable ,not too different than my PRS

Tones I am gettin used to now an really liking, again hope to do video review soon

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-28-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also the difference between the bridge position and either of the other two was quite noticeable. Where as the difference between the middle (both) and the neck position was much more subtle (almost not noticeable, if not paying really close attention) we will have to see if this hold when going through the speakers
I just got some advice from a guy about my SG with P90s, but he offered it as generalized dual pickup P90 setup advice. I've since done it on my SG and I highly recommend trying it. Doesn't take long but it gives you three distinct sounds from the three positions. The basics are to set the bridge pickup as high as it'll go before the magnets start damping the string vibrations and killing sustain. Then, the neck should be a LOT lower, to give the greatest differentiation. So, if you're interested, here's his sequence:

Here's how I adjust my P90's.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot.

-Ray
Old 07-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I just got some advice from a guy about my SG with P90s, but he offered it as generalized dual pickup P90 setup advice. I've since done it on my SG and I highly recommend trying it. Doesn't take long but it gives you three distinct sounds from the three positions. The basics are to set the bridge pickup as high as it'll go before the magnets start damping the string vibrations and killing sustain. Then, the neck should be a LOT lower, to give the greatest differentiation. So, if you're interested, here's his sequence:

Here's how I adjust my P90's.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot.

-Ray
Hey thanks a bunch Ray I will definitely try it, although even not doing that, I think I'm getting more used its sonic character, and I do here more distinction now

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Sweet Tele! P90's love it
Old 07-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey thanks a bunch Ray I will definitely try it, although even not doing that, I think I'm getting more used its sonic character, and I do here more distinction now
P-90s are just freaking awesome. If I didn't have strat blood running in my veins, I think I might upgrade my P90 SG and only play that. I kind of figured I might try that or no, but then I did and I'm really glad I did. They sounded great before, but my middle position has substantially more depth now and it's become my favorite position most of the time. Before it was kind of an afterthought...

But, the information is there if you want to do it or decide not to. Enjoy that guitar one way or another...

-Ray
Old 08-19-2020, 11:20 AM

Looks great, I hope it plays well. Enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars