The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-29-2020, 11:35 AM

The tape as an effect conjures up in my mind, tape hiss, wow, and flutter. I much prefer a nice clean sounding track and that's what I'm getting now......here's an example.....

https://waynekraft.bandcamp.com/track/sweet-sounds

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 02-29-2020, 04:39 PM

Yeah digital is much more suited to amateur recording or home recording: little investment needed and little maintenance, easier to get levels. The Teac would be fun but I'd only get it to have fun with and If you took that attitude then you'd probably actually really enjoy it for all of its lo-fi goodness. ��

The Tascam m series really have a good sound and routing options for the price (I used to have the m30 and a Tascam 38). But as a general rule the further away you get from the source (I.e. the musician, instrument, mic.) the less it effects the final recording.

Sounds like you already have a cool setup with the mixer into computer
Old 02-29-2020, 07:30 PM

I'm looking at a Teac 3340 now...10" reels a bit more professional than the 2340. I still don't know yet...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 02-29-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I'm looking at a Teac 3340 now...10" reels a bit more professional than the 2340. I still don't know yet...
A better machine than the the 2340 but if you are sold on the 1/4" 4-track format, I'd keep an eye out for the later and much improved 3440 or better still, the Tascam 40-4. Even then,you'd best realize that the newest of them are well over 40 years old and parts are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The tape as an effect conjures up in my mind, tape hiss, wow, and flutter.
It *can*. These days there are even plugins that will add back in the crackle and pop of a vinyl record with a bad needle :-) Or there are plugins that will simulate the sound of early digital with low bit counts, on and on. People will provide all kinds of ways to destroy (oops, I mean "augment") your sound.

But it doesn't have to be. Ozone has a multi-band "exciter" where one of the options is "tape". it doesn't add any of those things, it seemingly just adds some saturation, EQ, who knows what. It's subtle, but I haven't found it very useful.

UAD has several tape plugins, and you can control lots of aspects, turn on or off the noise, the wow and flutter, crosstalk between channels, etc. When I use it, I turn all that stuff off, and what's left is a subtle (very subtle) warmth with perhaps a touch of compression. I don't always care for it, depends on the track, but sometimes it's nice. Does it sound like tape? I don't really care. I just decide if a recording sounds better on or off (after tweaking settings).

Quote:

I much prefer a nice clean sounding track and that's what I'm getting now......here's an example.....

https://waynekraft.bandcamp.com/track/sweet-sounds
You already have lots of "effects" going on, flanger, etc. I don't think tape would make any positive improvement in this.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Don't Do it!

Aloha MartinManiac,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PABO6WrPjFQ

Don't Do It! From mid-60's through 1980, I went through the whole analog tape gamut: from cheap to expensive analog tape players (1/4" to 2"tape) through to the early digital Sony F1's. I was SO HAPPY to leave analog tape behind for all the myriad of good reasons listed by our friends above. Good riddance reel to reel tape HISS, noise reduction & tape players, especially those GD, overrated TEAC POS that got us hooked in the first place. It's a ticket to he11.

The ride aint worth the fare, MartinManiac.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 02-29-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
A better machine than the the 2340 but if you are sold on the 1/4" 4-track format, I'd keep an eye out for the later and much improved 3440 or better still, the Tascam 40-4. Even then,you'd best realize that the newest of them are well over 40 years old and parts are getting harder and harder to find.
Yes they are becoming rare and hard to find, building new ones would be too expensive, I guess that's what's luring me into them.....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It *can*. These days there are even plugins that will add back in the crackle and pop of a vinyl record with a bad needle :-) Or there are plugins that will simulate the sound of early digital with low bit counts, on and on. People will provide all kinds of ways to destroy (oops, I mean "augment") your sound.

But it doesn't have to be. Ozone has a multi-band "exciter" where one of the options is "tape". it doesn't add any of those things, it seemingly just adds some saturation, EQ, who knows what. It's subtle, but I haven't found it very useful.

UAD has several tape plugins, and you can control lots of aspects, turn on or off the noise, the wow and flutter, crosstalk between channels, etc. When I use it, I turn all that stuff off, and what's left is a subtle (very subtle) warmth with perhaps a touch of compression. I don't always care for it, depends on the track, but sometimes it's nice. Does it sound like tape? I don't really care. I just decide if a recording sounds better on or off (after tweaking settings).

You already have lots of "effects" going on, flanger, etc. I don't think tape would make any positive improvement in this.
Thanks Doug !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-01-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yes they are becoming rare and hard to find, building new ones would be too expensive, I guess that's what's luring me into them.....
Parts to keep them running are even rarer these days.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:10 PM

Even a good 2 track is getting me excited.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-02-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha MartinManiac,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PABO6WrPjFQ

Don't Do It! From mid-60's through 1980, I went through the whole analog tape gamut: from cheap to expensive analog tape players (1/4" to 2"tape) through to the early digital Sony F1's. I was SO HAPPY to leave analog tape behind for all the myriad of good reasons listed by our friends above. Good riddance reel to reel tape HISS, noise reduction & tape players, especially those GD, overrated TEAC POS that got us hooked in the first place. It's a ticket to he11.

The ride aint worth the fare, MartinManiac.

alohachris
THIS!

Collectively, hobby recordists have been working diligently to get beyond the problems presented with the mechanics of tape.

There must be a "Set your watch back 50 years" plug in?...
Old 03-02-2020, 09:24 AM

There's just something about having a working tape machine in my studio that hits the spot.....I'll be making a decision on what to buy in the next day or two.....my Tascam mixer is just screaming out for a matching tape deck......
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-02-2020, 09:28 AM

I read that back in the day, the Tascam mixers were called "Baby SSL's".......now I know why, they sound great....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-02-2020, 11:09 AM

Why not just use the desk to record into your computer audio interface?
Like most people have said in this thread I don't think the tape machine would help to create a better sound than you have now.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-02-2020, 11:42 AM

Well having working tape machine would come in handy if somebody needs to transfer old reel recordings. Beside it would look great next to my mixer....

I'm looking at a Teac 5300 2 channel, a Teac 3340 4 channel, a Teac 2340 4 channel, a fostex 80 - 8channel, and a tascam 22-2, 2channel, not sure yet which one I'll get, they are all in good working order and look great....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD