The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Default BAND IN THE HAND 1st impressions

I recall stating how Toby Walker's course called Take A Solo brought my playing up several levels. After spending the whole day so far previewing the incredible series of videos in his Band In The Hand course I can already see it's going to take me up to stratospheric levels.

I used to have a dilemma when listening to my Toby Walker music cd's. In my opinion, nobody has ever played a more dynamic version of Stack O' Lee than Toby. My dilemma was there was little chance I could attain his level of playing.
As it turns out, I can! Toby Walker, possibly more than anybody else I've ever listened to, puts out instructional material where he shows you line by line, step by step, everything he includes in his playing. It's a challenge no doubt but I have the entire resources to get a handle on what it is he does. His thoroughness is nothing short of amazing.

That's my take so far and I'm vastly looking forward to diving into this great resource to elevate my playing beyond anything else available I've yet to see. Toby hit it out of the park again with this course!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

That's great, Dave! I agree... I have found Toby's instruction to be excellent. Have you checked out his website and club membership? Might actually save you some money.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dave and Kerbie,

This thread is very timely for me as I just purchased this course tonight. Toby’s intro to finger picking course was very helpful to me starting out a couple of years ago, so I also have high hopes.

It seems to be caged based which I do understand, so that is familiar. I can play lots of simple blues with the tab in front of me, and several by memory. Hoping this will take me to the next level of improvement/improvising.

Keep us posted on your progress, Dave.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's great, Dave! I agree... I have found Toby's instruction to be excellent. Have you checked out his website and club membership? Might actually save you some money.
Yeah, I signed up a few years back and still get emails about each new lesson. I get a kick out of his request not to share the site password. As if I'm willing anyway to let anybody else discover where my new skills emanate from!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Thanks for posting this Dave. I'm sure glad you're enjoying my lessons.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I have a few of Toby's lessons including some dvds. You can really get immersed in the music. I think I was doing the Band in the Hand or one of his other videos and I started going off on tangents with some of the information and just improvising left and right.

Really great stuff for learning the genre.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Personally, I could talk about Toby's lessons for hours. Many times, I'll go back to his early ones and just work through them again for practice - "Band in the Hand" is one of those. Toby's website has his complete compendium (Except for the Homespun lessons) and is an amazing resource. Toby is always available via e-mail and does Skype lessons. And it's a pleasure to help him pay his rent and keep Charlie well fed!

One hint: as you get more proficient (or use a slow-downer), try and pick up Toby's rhythm. A little syncopation can totally alter your song and I find the best way is to try to copy it by playing along.
A good example is is "Knoxville Rag" by Etta Baker. Play this straight and it loses a ton of impact. It's a rag, it's meant to dance. Same with a lot of Rev. Gary Davis' stuff.

IMO - it's the rhythm first - it's easy to give a pass to a melodic error, but if you screw up the rhythm, everyone knows. Keep at it, keep repeating and eventually it clicks (it may take a few years btw!)

Rick

PS - it's a good thing that my playing is now at a stratospheric level - the lack of oxygen probably makes it sound better. In fact, my playing probably sounds best with no air at all.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
IMO - it's the rhythm first - it's easy to give a pass to a melodic error, but if you screw up the rhythm, everyone knows. Keep at it, keep repeating and eventually it clicks (it may take a few years btw!)
Astute observation. Toby's right thumb is a bonafide rhythm machine. Trying to sound just like his playing vastly involves matching his rhythm, which isn't nearly as easy as he makes it look! I'm getting there though. Many times so far when playing from his tab I could swear the placement of a bass note was wrong. Then, when I go back and watch the video of him playing it, turns out the tab is spot on. It's his dang impeccable rhythm I'm not matching. I WILL conquer this!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write