The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 05:25 PM

Sorry but I'm not hearing any phase issues here. Maybe my ears aren't that well trained. You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Well I just won an auction on eBay for a used Nuemann TLM 102 mic to add to my collection. Should be here Friday or Saturday. The seller says he bought it new at Sweetwater and only used the mic for one session. Here's a link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neumann-TLM-...cAAOSwARZXjXmS
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 07-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well I just won an auction on eBay for a used Nuemann TLM 102 mic to add to my collection. Should be here Friday or Saturday. The seller says he bought it new at Sweetwater and only used the mic for one session. Here's a link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neumann-TLM-...cAAOSwARZXjXmS
Congrats on your new mic ....While I have not heard The TLM 102, the specs indicate it should prove to be a real value for the project/home studio. Somewhat like the U87 Ai ( which I have used for vocal and acoustic Gtr.) it has a slight rise in the upper mid/ highs, starting at 6kHz which if not too overt , should help with giving some air and presence. Were it me I would look into a shock mount for it as soon as possible.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM

KevWind...you can hear a couple samples of the TLM102 mic on this thread. This is what inspired me to get one.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=436884

I found an after market shock mount made by MXL that is designed specifically for the TLM 102. It's price is about $50. bucks, which is way cheaper than the $129 model Neumann offers. I ordered one last night, because I'm a big believer in shock mounts. Here's a link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272319502542

I also ordered a new mic stand and a dual mic holder for stereo recordings. I can't wait to pair the 102 up with my Baby Bottle or the AT 2020 !!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-26-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
KevWind...you can hear a couple samples of the TLM102 mic on this thread. This is what inspired me to get one.
Yes I heard them but I find the proof is actually in the room listening to the mic in the system you are actually going to use it in.
I am also a believer in shock mounts.

Have fun on New Mic Day, Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=436884

I found an after market shock mount made by MXL that is designed specifically for the TLM 102. It's price is about $50. bucks, which is way cheaper than the $129 model Neumann offers. I ordered one last night, because I'm a big believer in shock mounts. Here's a link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272319502542

I also ordered a new mic stand and a dual mic holder for stereo recordings. I can't wait to pair the 102 up with my Baby Bottle or the AT 2020 !!!!
No offense meant, but the ad is carefully worded to say it's an MXL shock mount that's compatable with the TLM 102; not made specifically by MXL as an after-market mount for the 102. It looks like the standard MXL shock mount to me.

Maybe I missed something.

I have one MXL shock mount that came with a mic but the suspension bands deteriorated in less than a year. These are available as after-market, but you might want to keep an eye out for replacement bands. The mic shipped with an extra set, but the ones supplied were just as deteriorated.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-26-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:07 PM

If you scroll down there's a description of the mount that specifically says...

This is a brand new after market silver Shock Mount that is compatible with the Neumann TLM 102 Microphone (not included) manufactured by MXL.

Condition:
Brand New.

Product Details:
This shock mount is compatible with the Neumann TLM 102 Microphone. This is an after-market shock mount with a silver/nickle finish that fits around the large ring on the TLM-102.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 07-26-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Fran, first off, the Shure 57 beta sounded awful on the first take, I tried turning off the Phantom Power and it did help a lot.
I tested with my Beta 57a and my UFX and confirmed that there is no change in the sound captured by this mic when phantom power is cycled. So if you experienced a change in sound when turning off phantom something is wrong.

Quote:
Second, I didn't want to listen to a test tone. The thought never crossed my mind because I wanted to see what was the best sounding acoustic guitar recording I could get with my mics. I wanted to take stock of everything with similar performances on similar settings. Was I comparing mic sensitivity ?? You bet. I also ran all my takes thru a normalizer in Sonar to equalize the volume of each track so I could then compare sonic quality and noise floors. This demonstrated to me that "Yes Virginia", different mics sound different, and more expensive mics do indeed sound better. So what's the final outcome of all these tests ?? I've decided to look into the Neumann TLM 102 as step above and beyond of what I have now. I heard one on another post and was quite impressed with it's sound. A good used 102 is within my budget. So that's the direction my sound checks have pointed out. If I buy another mic, I want it to be a step up from what I currently have, not a step down or equal footing...step up is what I want. Most importantly I wanted to see how good of a recording I could get with what I already have...I have to admit I was surprised at the quality of recordings I achieved. The only real disappointment was the Superlux, but that was a very cheap Shure knock off. Now I know not to bother with it. So all in all doing these tests showed me a lot. Before it was a big mass of confusion, now, I feel I have a much better grasp on what's what.
I never suggested that you listen to a test tone. Your idea of level matching does not result in matched levels. If you have a decent mic preamp the sensitivity of the mic is a non-issue until you get into the realm of extremely low output mics and extremely critical listening in very good recording spaces.

Lots more to say about comparing mics, but no need. I hope your new mic meets all your expectations and you have a lot of fun recording with it.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 PM

Well the tests that I did showed me which mics sound best and which ones will work for a good stereo recording. That was my main objective. The TLM 109 will definitely be a step up from what I already have. Not bad for a home studio. I don't pretend to be a professional studio, and have no clients to impress, don't want any. This is all for my own personal use and hobby. I'm getting pretty darn good recordings now and will be even a bit better. Occasionally I may record a friend or two, but for the most part it's a private studio. I'm not going to spend the big bucks on room treatments, high grade pre-amps, tube compressors, etc...that a professional studio might. That just not in my future plans at all. I have no desire to cater to a line of spoiled rotten musicians that demand I buy this and that piece of kit.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I'm not going to spend the big bucks on room treatment...
Have you spent small bucks on room treatment?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Have you spent small bucks on room treatment?
Yes, very small bucks. I put up a couple of moving blankets from Harbor Freight. I have no desire to put up $1,000's of dollars of Auralux.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 07-30-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 AM

Just curious: what specifically to you think the blankets are doing to "treat" the room? Are they absorbing HF and even some upper MF parts of your recordings that might be desirable?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, very small bucks. I put up a couple of moving blankets from Harbor Freight. I have no desire to put up $1,000's of dollars of Auralux.

Do not underestimate the value of room treatment... However I agree do not spend $ 1000 on Auralux...Unless they have completely changed from their use of foam it is indeed a waste of money IMO.

Arguably the moving blankets are just as good or better than foam for the very little amount of high frequency absorption that either will actually accomplish.

What will in fact make much more of difference in both recording and especially mixing, would be the use of products far far superior to foam or blankets and that is something like either Corning 703 or Rockwool .

You can use the 703 and DIY your own treatment panels (703 usually comes in 2 inch thick 2ft. by 4 ft. sheets if you double them up to 4" X 2' X4' for wall panels and 6 or 8 inches thick for bass traps ) you will be using the kind of materials and actually accomplishing the kinds of treatments that are use in professional studios.

Nobody has the "desire" to spend money on room treatment, there is no glamor and little fun to had in comparison to getting new gear.... yet If you think of the journey of recording like building a house .. while there is no glamor in a good solid, square, level, and plum foundation,,,, having one will exponentially increase the value of every dollar spent on gear and make accomplishing all the other aspects of the project all that much easier to get right.

While 703 etc treatment is not cheap (running about a dollar per square ft or more) in the long run room treatment is the best money you can spend to forward your personal journey in recording......... just something to think about.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Well what the blankets are doing is cutting down on the amount of noise going to my neighbors house so I can still work in my studio late at night. They are only in my studio control room. Without the blankets, the noise just reverberates out of my house to the neighborhood. I have to keep the volume down and use headphones while mixing at night. It's not unusual for me to practice and record at 3-4:00 in the morning. Overall the music out of my monitors sounds better with the blankets. Another use of the blankets is that it covers up a very messy closet with all kinds of outdated stuff in it that looks horrible. The blankets really clean up the look of my studio room. I've got so much stuff crammed into my studio that putting up Auralex is not an option.

While recording I simply set up my mics in the living room, where there is no room treatment at all, just a plain living room with mics and amps in it.

Edit: I just did a test with some loud music playing in the studio, I went outside and on the side of the house where there is no blankets, yes you can hear some noise outside, on the side of the house where the moving blankets are, you hear nothing. My neighbor also commented that she hears no noise at all. So the blankets are definitely working.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 07-27-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 AM

Often when the subject of home studios comes up I think the better thing to spend money on might be this:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing.../dp/1607747308

...especially if descriptions and photos are posted.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD