The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Smile Custom 12 String

Mau,

Kevin Ryan has made some spectacular 12-strings. I've drooled over more than one. I'm sure if you talked with Kevin, he could get the sound you're after. His aesthetics and workmanship are at the caliber your after as well, especially his Signature series.

John
Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM

HI Mau...

I don't know if he still builds 12 strings, but Mr. Somogyi used to build gorgeous jumbo 12 strings...and you can bet that they would be great for a fingerstyle player.

Ervin built John Denver a matching pair of jumbo 6 and 12 string guitars back in the 80's...you can see them on the John Denver Guitar Research Site.

If you wanted a more Stella/Larson style 12, then yes I think Haans would be the go to guy...

What do you mean by "traditional style"???

Best Regards
duff
Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Mau,

Kevin Ryan has made some spectacular 12-strings. I've drooled over more than one. I'm sure if you talked with Kevin, he could get the sound you're after. His aesthetics and workmanship are at the caliber your after as well, especially his Signature series.

John
Hey John,

I've drooled over a Ryan Cathedral 12-string for a while -- but that's not what I'm in the mood for right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
HI Mau...

I don't know if he still builds 12 strings, but Mr. Somogyi used to build gorgeous jumbo 12 strings...and you can bet that they would be great for a fingerstyle player.

Ervin built John Denver a matching pair of jumbo 6 and 12 string guitars back in the 80's...you can see them on the John Denver Guitar Research Site.

If you wanted a more Stella/Larson style 12, then yes I think Haans would be the go to guy...

What do you mean by "traditional style"???

Best Regards
duff
Hi Duffy,

I would love a jumbo Somogyi but I surely wouldn't waste it on a 12-string...

By "traditional", I mean something that looks "old". I was looking for ideas and guitars to browse for.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM

I was amazed at Colling's 0-12-12 when it came out, and have been jonesing for one for a while. Traditional looks and unique but awesome sound.

Seeing the Kinnaird 7/8th's video just whets that small body, 12 fret, 12 string craving (and it looks like it predates Collings... Maybe those Texans have been plotting / collaborating... )
Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

You could try to convince John Slobod to build you one...
Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I was amazed at Colling's 0-12-12 when it came out, and have been jonesing for one for a while. Traditional looks and unique but awesome sound.

Seeing the Kinnaird 7/8th's video just whets that small body, 12 fret, 12 string craving (and it looks like it predates Collings... Maybe those Texans have been plotting / collaborating... )
I noticed the Collings as well. Very cool.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
You could try to convince John Slobod to build you one...
I actually asked a couple of weeks ago... sigh...
Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Default even smaller body

dneal...

As Steve, Ryan and I get to the 3/4 size (from the 7/8th) we're likely to use an even smaller body, something originating from their Parlor size, it seems.

I also really like the Collings offering.

Bob
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mfg. View Post
Lets see 'em! Particularly the Fraulinis!
Here they are.

Fraulini Angelina 12: Mahogany back and sides.

Fraulini Annunziata 12: Maple back and sides.

Hauver Auditorium 12: Mahogany back and sides.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Haans actually said red spruce. And he'd probably tell you it's not a matter of being fancy, it's because it would have more headroom.

I said that those larger Guilds strike me as being more suited for strummers. Perhaps should I have said "my strumming". But who cares? May I have that polite opinion even if there are some fine fingerstylists who play them?

If you think that people would rather take my "striking" than to look for fingerstyle musicians who play Guilds (or even to go out and try one themselves), then you are probably over-estimating the importance of my opinion (or under-estimating people's ability to have their own opinion).

You know, we're not here to save lives and it'd be much cooler if you didn't point out every little detail about my posts that doesn't seem to align in your view.
Amen.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
dneal...

As Steve, Ryan and I get to the 3/4 size (from the 7/8th) we're likely to use an even smaller body, something originating from their Parlor size, it seems.

I also really like the Collings offering.

Bob
I think that's an excellent idea. The 12 string shimmer is still there, but the smaller body focuses it... less "reverb" for lack of a better term.

I'm really floored with that sound, and the short scale (of the Collings anyway - don't know about your specs) makes a lot of sense to lower tension for the soundboard, neck, and player effort.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
Here they are.

Fraulini Angelina 12: Mahogany back and sides.

Fraulini Annunziata 12: Maple back and sides.

WOW! Especially love that maple one!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
WOW! Especially love that maple one!
Very nice indeed.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Default clarion sound

dneal - the idea with the 3/4 size (up a fourth from standard pitch) is to get a clarion sound in a mandolin range... those twin strings but in a clear, resonating tone that you don't get from a mandolin's "woody-ness" - it's somehow a cross between a mandolin and an autoharp, I think! (that's what I get with the 7/8ths capo'd up a ways!...just wanna get more fretboard to work with.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That's really helpful. I've always admired your work, Haans. Those old school designs are really striking visually. I'd love to get a chance to play your guitars one of these days.
Thanks, justonwo.
You may get the chance as I have a white oak GC build coming for Schoenberg's. Looks like it's about 4 down...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop