The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdoo View Post
Interesting thread!

I have a k&k in my Collings D2H and have been happily using an Ultrasound DI Plus for about three years. Has anyone compared the Red Eye to an Ultrasound DI?

Thanks,

Ed
No....but I tried the Ultrasound DI a few years back and preferred the PADI which I am still using.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Are you inadvertantly overdriving the input on whatever you're going into from the Red Eye? OR some other stage "downstream" from that?

I don't think so. We had a gig yesterday with a supplied house PA and sound man and I noticed (and some video we shot confirmed) the same thing. Very electric guitar like sound in boost mode.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM

I'm intrigued by the Red Eye Pre, but a little put off by the lack of EQ controls -- all of my guitars have K&K minis installed, and I'm used to dialing back the mids and trebles; does this thing really produce a great sound without EQ?

Or are people EQing at the PA?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
does this thing really produce a great sound without EQ?
In many experiences for me, yes.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks Maury, that is certainly impressive.

I have full EQ controls on my amp, and I usually DI-out to the PA in that situation, but on nights when I don't have an amp with me I need a great sounding PRE to get me into the board.

I'm wondering if I'd be happy with the Red Eye for these situations. Hmmm, sounds like it might be worth a shot.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
In many experiences for me, yes.
For me, I have played three systems through the red-eye, and it sounds great with all of them. Two of my guitars have K&K and one has fishman infinity matrix. - All good. I have friends who have the very basic Dee-eye and they like it as good or better than some of the nicer boxes from baggs, etc.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM

I've had nothing but good experiences using the red-eye. I've got the regular one which I run my harp mic thru, and a twin for guitars. My main pickups are the sunrise and mag-mic, but also have k&k mini's in one guitar. All work great with the red-eye.

Now for something a little different. I recently picked up a mini-flex 2 mic to try out. I was using it straight into my DS-4 and was pleased with how it sounded in my little decalcomania Stella. Then I ran it thru the red-eye and wow it really came alive! Open G tuning, a little slide work, sounded great!

Don't know why it works so well, but it sure does, and that simple treble eq is all I need.

Joe
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sustaire View Post
I've had nothing but good experiences using the red-eye. I've got the regular one which I run my harp mic thru, and a twin for guitars. My main pickups are the sunrise and mag-mic, but also have k&k mini's in one guitar. All work great with the red-eye.
I find I like to use EQ with my Sunrise. How do you find the Sunrise with the Red-Eye?

Thanks,

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM

I believe it was actually discovered by Captain Cook but he didn't get out of Hawaii alive to tell us about it.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM

For me John the treble boost gives me all the eq I need for the sunrise. Great sound, more time playing, less time twisting knobs. YMMV

Joe
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM

I have the red-eye with the boost and i think it works great. I used it at a wedding on saturday. I played a santa cruz D with a Dimarzio angel pick-up into the red eye into an AER compact 60 (2).
The angel pickup sounds really good into the aer, and the red eye makes it better. I like the simple eq of the red-eye, it's all I need. The boost was perfect when switching to finger picking.
I haven't played out much since I got this set-up going, but it's all I need right now.

I also have a sunrise pickup I've tried at home, but I prefer the angel.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 AM

I really don't understand why a preamp with only a treble setting could improve the sound of any pickup...? If you cannot adjust the bass, low mid, high mid frequencies you cannot improve the sound in those areas. What magic can that preamp do? What's exactly the difference with the preamp and without?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM

If it doesn't get broken, then you don't have to fix it!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I really don't understand why a preamp with only a treble setting could improve the sound of any pickup...? If you cannot adjust the bass, low mid, high mid frequencies you cannot improve the sound in those areas. What magic can that preamp do? What's exactly the difference with the preamp and without?
Better components and design typically result in better sound, even if you never touch a single EQ knob. This is true for all sorts of music and audio gear--pickups, preamps, amps, speakers, DACs, headphones, cables, etc.

Daren actually has some pretty detailed information on the Fire Eye website, but I'm not an engineer, so I (wisely) won't venture to summarize it.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM

I recently purchased a Red-eye preamp with the boost, and did not have the need for a any additional eq.(running straight to board/PA).
That being said, I only have one show under my belt with it.
I also purchased a Radial PZ Deluxe, as I was blown away by the sound at NAMM.
I will be doing a shoot out between these to see which sounds the best with my Takamine 341SC...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification