The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM

You can check the dimensions of the table at the links above - the one I have would be too small. And 22 lbs might be stretching it, especially with a higher center of gravity - I think it would be unstable - the tripod is pretty small on mine. I have the smallest one, though. (The AC-33 is around 10 lbs...)

But a larger one might be OK (at the lowest heights)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
I'm wondering if it would fit Vox AGA70 (dimensions: 12.7" x 10.3" x 13", 22 pounds).
Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM

I've been using my AC33 all summer and fall to busk at my local farmers' market. I use it for acoustic guitar (usually my Collings CJ with whatever UST the last owner put in it) and looping, with both the onboard looper & an RC20XL.

I love it, and I get 2-3 comments from guitarists every week, it seems, asking about the amp (and, also, why I would bring a Collings to go busking.)

One neat trick I've discovered: The onboard looper can be fed by both input channels. I've used with with a Shadow Stompin' Bass & a guitar to lay down some cool melodic/rhythmic bits over which I'll play Native American flute (or guitar. Or both.)

It may not be the BEST sound, but it's a very good sound -- this isn't for performing at a huge concert hall, after all. It's lightweight, has good features, and runs on easily rechargeable AA batteries. For an acoustic musician on the go, I don't know of any real competition at the price, or even much higher.

Collings OM2Hss -- Collings 0001A -- '79 Guild F30 -- Waterloo WL-14L
'37 National Rosita "Eurydice" -- NRP Radiotone Bendaway "Kokopelli" -- NRP Collegian
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Well...first of all, Iīm Brazilian. So....sorry about my poor english =)
I was on vacation with my acoustic guitar in hands last week and just stop to test the roland ac-33 on Just Music Store in Berlin.

I play basicaly blues and rock with a folk acoustic guitar. Itīs a very good hand made one with a B-Band UST pickup. It dont have a equalizer on it so, i use a Boss GE-7 to ajust the EQ and Volume.

Back to the store.

After a few minutes, just messing around the volume buttons I just canīt believe the great sound of this amp.

Iīve tried other amps for acoustic guitars (Fender, Marshall and Peavey)...all great amps...but this rolland is more than that...itīs an AMAZING amp. Seriously, amazing.

369 Euros.

I know that its cheap in America (around 399 dolars) but Iīm from Brasil and here this baby costs around 799 dolars.

So I bought it.
Tha roland ac-33 PLUS the Boss FS6 footswitch.

Back to Brazil..my house..my dog..my studio.
I took some time to test my new amp with patience.

What was an amazing amp now seems to be EVEN BETTER.
The chorus is natural and beautiful. The reverb is pretty decent. Great ambience. The controls are sufficient for all funcitions and even in high volumes you can play without any distortion ...even if you sing and play at the sime time (this combination sounds great with de ac-33).

I saw a lot of people asking about "how loud" this amp is.
I say its VERY loud.
VERY.
But is loud to do what it was made to do.
If you want to play in the street alone, its loud.
If you want to play in the street with someone, its loud.
If you want to play in a pub alone or with a band, its loud too.
If vou waut to play in a Big house with other louder instruments (particulary drums) maybe itīs not loud enought to WORK ALONE. But I think that in the most cases like this the house will have some P.A to mic you amp or to plug the amp in the line out. I donīt worry about things like that cause usually the big places to play have the right audio system to support you.

What I really want to say is that the QUALITY of the sound is awesome.
Everyone here knows how hard is to find a vary natural acoustic sound.
And this one have it.
With a lot of volume and portability.
The looper function is great too. Even withou the possiblity to record phrases or undo the last overdub is a very good quality looper.

My final conclusion is similar to the friend os the last post: This baby have no competition in the relation of the portability, quality, volume and price.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on an AC-33 or a Cube Street. I like the sound and idea of the SC because I will also be using it for electric on occasion for practice. But I already have a GP-100 and a BR600 that both have great amp modeling so I don't NEED another modeler, just a light portable amp that sounds good with an acoustic and an electric. I will also be using it in church and the extra wattage and line out are big advantages for the AC-33. And a looper is also a great tool for me too. I do however stumble on the price. I can get a Cube Street for $160 US right now and and AC33 for $340. Both are friend prices from a dealer, but the price on the Cube is really very tempting.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

I can only comment on the AC-33, having no experience with the SC. I've been using it almost weekly in a community group and most everyone comments positively about the sound.

A couple of weeks ago I used it in a smaller coffee shop (about 18'-20' wide and maybe 40' deep) which seats around 32-34 folks + the barrista area). My playing partner and I ran 2 guitars, 2 mics and a Porchboard through an 802 Mackie mixer to the AC-33. With everything set at approx. 1/2 volume, the sound was excellent, very clean and we could be heard over/through a group of 7 ladies, sitting immediately in front of us, having a very spirited conversation for 30+ minutes. Many compliments on the sound from the shop owner, several patrons and my wife, who was seated near the back of the shop and helped do the initial sound-check.

I placed the AC-33 about 6' off the floor by mounting it on my speaker stand . Used a flat mounted surface to hold the AC-33 as it is does not have a pole mount (pictures are in an earlier post). For convenience, I ran it from battery power instead of AC. Left it turned on the entire 3 hrs were playing -- I'm sure there's more than 50% power remaining (used again for 2+ hrs two nights ago in the community group, w/o re-charging).

My only complaint, is that I don't get as low of a tone as I would like with the Porchboard: Still works well, but not as "bassy" as I would like. (The Porchboard sounds better when we use the AC-90.) But, I don't want to tote around a separate bass amp or subwoofer to make it "right."

I can only say that I continue to be pleased with this product.

Ray

Last edited by Ray B; 12-02-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add info
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 PM

I've actually plugged my Gretsch 6120 into the AC33, and the results were a lot nicer than I expected. Nothing but cleans, but you can add dirty a lot easier than you can add clean. In terms of quality, I think the two Roland products are on par, and I think the nod would go to the one that you like the sound of better. I generally do not like the distorted tones of the Cube series, and I think the blackface tones can be overly bass-heavy. The AC33 sounds kind of like the emulations of the JC120 on the other Cubes I've played.

Collings OM2Hss -- Collings 0001A -- '79 Guild F30 -- Waterloo WL-14L
'37 National Rosita "Eurydice" -- NRP Radiotone Bendaway "Kokopelli" -- NRP Collegian
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but found this YouTube video by Sweatwater with the AC-33 on a pole. If I'm mentioning something already posted my apologies, just had seen a lot of comments that it lacked a pole mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhapuW413Y
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM

That is not a pole, I'm pretty sure; it is a laptop computer stand; I actually called Sweetwater some time ago and asked.

IMO, the Cube Street isn't even CLOSE to the quality of the AC-33 for acoustic guitar; the AC-33 (and even the Mobile Cube) blows it away, even though the CS has an attractive form factor.

That said, as good as the AC-33 is (and I own one), if battery power is not an issue, the Fishman Loudbox Mini is (much to my great surprise) even better, with a surprisingly strong and clear bass for its size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk59 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but found this YouTube video by Sweatwater with the AC-33 on a pole. If I'm mentioning something already posted my apologies, just had seen a lot of comments that it lacked a pole mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhapuW413Y
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 AM

I called them as well and am just delinquent in posting this. They said it is shown on the SMS6000-P monitor stand.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 AM

Default Ac 33 Great Little Amp

I used an AC 60 for a long time as my main acoustic/vocal amp. I just got the AC 33 to try out and am keeping it. I wanted something LIGHT WEIGHT and this is sure that. Battery option is nice if needed. I had a discount sale coupon so that got the price down really nice.

Tell you what! This thing really puts out. The little speakers do not flub and flutter when pushed. This thing gets loud enough to do a small size venue no problem. The sound is not cheap sounding what so ever. Vocal or guitar. I put a decibel meter in front of it and it easily puts out 100-107 db easily. I pushed the volumes up to max and it still sounded good. It lacks the bottom end but look what it is. If you have a powered speaker laying around it will kick this amp into another dimension. But that defeats the reason I got it. Portable, lightweight, and good sounding.

Its great for partys, jams, coffee houses, dinner clubs. I keep looking at it and can't believe whats coming out of this miniature AC 60 looking little box. I played my Telecaster through it and IT sounded good also.

The looper also records from your vocal mic. You can clap or make vocal percussion noises and loop them like a durm machine. This is very cool.

I got an Arriba Cases AC-130 Lighting Fixture Bag for it. Its a tight fit but will carry the amp and power cable and and small items.

I have had every Roland battery amp and none of them lasted with me. This one is nice. If you shop you can get the price down where its more affordable.

BTW: There is a YouTube of a cute very talented Asian girl demonstrating the looper and playing outside. That is what the amp sounds like. No enhanced video sound. Also theres a Roland guy wailing on an acoustic guitar. You can do that with this amp and it dosent buzz or break up.

Also dont sweat the pole mount thing. I sit it on the floor behind me or on a chair. You dont need a pole mount. Thats just more junk to carry in.

Last edited by califblues; 10-26-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM

I've just purchased this amp (mainly for busking purposes but also for small gigs) to replace my Vox DA-5, and the difference is immense. It sounds really great. This thread certainly helped my decision.

However, I'm really having an issue with the volume drops discussed earlier in this thread. When using batteries, if I hit the guitar percussively, even just hitting the strings with my picking hand to stop the sound or percussively slap the strings with my thumbpick, the volume drops for a couple of seconds. Did anyone find any fix for this? It doesn't only happen when the volume is all the way up either.

I'm really liking this amp, but this issue could be a deal breaker for me. I've ordered the best rechargeable duracells I could find, so if it's a power issue hopefully it'll help.

Also, are there any more suggestions for affordable carry bags/backpacks suitable for this? I like being able to put it on my back if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by uberbarracuda; 11-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Well I got a reply from roland about the volume issue:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. Because the taps on the guitar will have a quick attack and be relatively low frequency, they may result in a large sudden draw of power, which is too much for the batteries, resulting in a dip in volume. You might find that reducing the volume on the amp or replacing the batteries with some new Duracells helps.
I don't really think this is acceptable, as it encourages you to use percussive effects in the manual :\
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM

I bought an AC-33 last summer. My short list was the Roland, Vox 70. My criteria was portable, inputs for guitar and mic, reverb, chorus.

Every Monday night, I play in a pub in France, across the border from Geneva. The room is about 18 feet wide and about 28 feet long. Tables and bar stools for about 25. The band consists of two acoustics and an electric bass. I often double on bass.

The amp/PA set up is as follows:

Carvin 3 channel combo with guitar, two mics (at the end of a Y adaptor cable into one input), bass guitar.

Roland AC-33 with my YAMAHA APX500 and my SM58. The amp sits on top of a piano, within arms reach, so that I can turn on/off the chorus.

If I am playing bass, when the bass player can't make it, I bring a Roland CB100 bass amp as I prefer it to the Carvin. But, I always bring the Roland for my vocals.

Aside from the compliments and assurances that the AC-33 works great, as given by other musician friends that drop by, I have sat at the bar and listened to guys use my set up. The AC-33 sounds clean. The guitar is transparent. The chorus sounds wonderful, on the appropriate song.

Since buying it, two of my guitarist buddies have bought one. One guy was using a Marshall 50 watt acoustic amp, who's name I can't recall. He came over when we first met, and he brought his Marshall. There was no need as we were face to face on bar stools. I pointed out my new purchase (AC-33) and plugged him in. He was so blown away by the sound, portability and looper, that he ordered one two days later.

On weekends, I practice along to music on my iPod. I plug in the iPod in the back. Adjust its own dedicated volume. I plug in my guitar and a set of headphones. I get a true stereo signal. I have plugged in my bass on several occasions (headphones only) and it's great. In the summer, I've hauled it outside under a tree out on the farm and played.

For the sum of its features at its price point, I think it's brilliant. I couldn't find Ultrasound in the area. A local store has since started stocking them and I haven't tried them and don't want to. I hear so many outstanding things about them that I don't want to go through agony.

Anyhow, enough from me. Real happy camper. I managed to find a bag for it that looks like it was custom made. The amp slips in nicely and I put my cables on either end of it for padding. SM58 in the outside pouch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification